WI: Taft refuses to run again

William Howard Taft hated being president. The only reason he ran for re-election was because Teddy Roosevelt insulted him. But what if Roosevelt didn't insult Taft?

I am very skeptical that Taft will not be a candidate for re-election. Every president complains about life in the White House--and yet every one since Rutherford Hayes has sought a second term. (I am counting 1924 and 1948 as "second terms.") If TR had been eaten by a lion in Africa, Taft IMO would still "reluctantly" "out of a sense of duty" run--to protect the nation from the "radicalism" of a La Follette candidacy for the GOP nomination or a Democratic victory in the general election.

To get to this scenario, I have always had Taft get a health problem. Considering his weight, that could easily happen. TR gets the nomination and wins the election. His desire to go to war gets him in trouble. If he runs in 1916, a Democrat campaigning on the I will keep us out of war platform defeats him. The unrestricted submarine warfare and the Zimmerman telegram force that Democrat to ask for a declaration of war. In 1920, the angry electorate defeats the President in a landslide. Warren Harding is still the best compromise candidate for the 1920, Republican nomination, Calvin Coodidge is still the idea running mate for Harding.

So

1909 - 1913 William Howard Taft
1913 - 1917 Theodore Roosevelt
1917 - 1921 Some Democrat
1921 - Same as OTL

As it happens, I'm working on something with this very POD. I chose the death of Helen Taft in 1909, after the stroke that partially disabled her in real life. This creates a convenient depression for Taft, and a way for he and TR to reconcile.