WI: Stonehenge transported to America?

When Stonehenge was auctioned in 1915 there were fears that some American millionaire might purchase it and ship it overseas, as had happened to several castles and stately homes and later happened to London Bridge - thankfully, it was bought by a Sailsbury local and donated to the Crown instead. Presumably those fears were somewhat overblown since the stones had already been scheduled as worthy of preservation. But what if its owners had sold it before the Ancient Monuments Protection Act 1882 had passed into law?

How big an outcry would there be? I've read that it was very difficult for John Lubbock to get even the weak 1882 act through Parliament because historic preservation by the state was seen as interfering with private property rights. Would a historic treasure being sent overseas spur an earlier, stronger movement for preservation? Perhaps an earlier English Heritage and National Trust? What did Britain lose IOTL that might be saved by an earlier push for protection?

Would an American really want to take Stonehenge across the Atlantic in mid-world war and with the Atlantic crawling with German U-boats ( I know, no USW, but try to stuff Stonehenge in a life boat), especially during increasing fears of entering the war alongside Britain? Wouldn't it be more intelligent to earn money by using it's touristic potential, maybe even for war propaganda and then by selling it back to the British government, which would have no reason to not purchase it, as OTL? Tough it would be cool to see an American National Park around Stonehenge I don't see it happening, there is a reason why everyone FEARED it's removal from England and why everyone would have prevented that. At this rate, it wouldn't have been strange for an American to ship overseas the Eiffel Tower, it's simply too much of a national symbol.
Tough, I wouldn't want to be a German in a "Lusitaniad" Stonehenge TL.

Would an American really want to take Stonehenge across the Atlantic in mid-world war and with the Atlantic crawling with German U-boats ( I know, no USW, but try to stuff Stonehenge in a life boat), especially during increasing fears of entering the war alongside Britain? Wouldn't it be more intelligent to earn money by using it's touristic potential, maybe even for war propaganda and then by selling it back to the British government, which would have no reason to not purchase it, as OTL? Tough it would be cool to see an American National Park around Stonehenge I don't see it happening, there is a reason why everyone FEARED it's removal from England and why everyone would have prevented that. At this rate, it wouldn't have been strange for an American to ship overseas the Eiffel Tower, it's simply too much of a national symbol.
Tough, I wouldn't want to be a German in a "Lusitaniad" Stonehenge TL.

In my OP I suggested it being sold before 1882, not on the OTL date in 1915. That was before submarines in the Atlantic - and before the UK government had the right to do anything more than complain.

But yes, I could see the US govt eventually buying it off whatever crass millionaire had erected it and returning it to Britain. Although that would probably have to wait for a fraught geopolitical moment in which it would symbolize alliance, as the price would likely be steep by early 20th c. government expenditure standards.

In my OP I suggested it being sold before 1882, not on the OTL date in 1915. That was before submarines in the Atlantic - and before the UK government had the right to do anything more than complain.

But yes, I could see the US govt eventually buying it off whatever crass millionaire had erected it and returning it to Britain. Although that would probably have to wait for a fraught geopolitical moment in which it would symbolize alliance, as the price would likely be steep by early 20th c. government expenditure standards.

You're right, but why the need for the US government to intermediate? The British government could buy it by itself.

If an American bought it in 1915, they could always just wait until the war ended to ship it overseas if they feared the ships getting nailed by U-Boats (logical after the Lusitania disaster).

I can vaguely imagine someone also buying a site with Indian mounds (Cahokia, Poverty Point, etc.) and reassembling Stonehenge there to set up an attraction.

If an American bought it in 1915, they could always just wait until the war ended to ship it overseas if they feared the ships getting nailed by U-Boats (logical after the Lusitania disaster).

I can vaguely imagine someone also buying a site with Indian mounds (Cahokia, Poverty Point, etc.) and reassembling Stonehenge there to set up an attraction.

The British government would buy it before he would be able to ship it overseas. It's too much of a figure of national prestige.

The British government would buy it before he would be able to ship it overseas. It's too much of a figure of national prestige.

Even in the 1915 - 1919 period when you have a giant war going on and Britain really needing to pay for the war and its aftermath? Would Parliament suddenly get the will to buy Stonehenge assuming the plans our American millionaire called for involving shipping it to America?

Even in the 1915 - 1919 period when you have a giant war going on and Britain really needing to pay for the war and its aftermath? Would Parliament suddenly get the will to buy Stonehenge assuming the plans our American millionaire called for involving shipping it to America?

@metalinvader665 said that, with the Atlantic crawling with German subs, the American won't be able to ship Stonehenge until after the war, by which time the British government would start collecting donations to purchase it.

That's definitely a possibility (probably likely), and it would make for a very interesting chapter in Stonehenge's history (and maybe even be the subject of a movie). So to move Stonehenge to America, you'd either need our millionaire to be very bold with the timing of his shipping (risky, but you don't become a millionaire by playing it safe) or you'd need to butterfly the Lusitania sinking or a similar disaster with the same impact until Stonehenge is disassembled or afloat--that might be until late 1916 by the time things are done.