WI: Soviet Union tries to re-capture Alaska during the Cold War?

How would the US react to an invasion of Alaska?

• Military Response

Votes: 257 96.3%
  • Diplomatic Response

Votes: 10 3.7%

• Total voters
How would the US have responded if the US tried to invade Alaska to re-conquer it during the Cold War to establish a beachhead in North America? How would the US have responded?
Firstly I doubt soviet force will be able to land there
Even in 1985 I’m skeptical if they can even take Hokkaido, Alaska is out of question

bguy

Donor
Wasn’t there a rock Hudson Tv series based on this ?

There was though in the miniseries the Soviets weren't trying to recapture Alaska. Their goal was to have a small Spetnaz force seize a pump station on the Alaska pipeline and use it to insert explosives into a large stretch of the pipeline after which the Soviets would use the threat to destroy the pipeline to get the US and its allies to lift the grain embargo they had placed on the Soviets.

Not very likely. Even if Stalin survives from his fatal stroke, even he hardly would become insane enough to do anything like that.

And if Khruschev or any other Soviet leader begin even talk about that he is going to be ousted. No one want direct war with United States.

And even if some Soviet leadership decides pull that idiotic move, it means WW3.

Best case scenario: the invasion is defeated with conventional warfare and that's that. If it's anything other than the best case scenario, the world starts ending.

TDM

Kicked
It's War

But on top of that I'm not sure why the USSR would do this even if they knew it was going to be war.

1). Re-claiming Alaska for it own sake and/or to right a perceived historical wrong is a pointless goal if you are then fighting WW3 because of it

2). taking Alaska as a stepping stone to a ground invasion of the rest of the USA doesn't work because:

a. it's a shit place to reach the rest of the US from as you still have to go through Canada
b. it's a shit place to operate from in general it not having much in the way of infrastructure to run an invasion of a continent from (sorry Alaska)
c. I don't think any of the Soviet plans for fighting let alone winning a cold war gone hot involved an invasion of the US? And their forces are not suited for this anyway

Last edited:
Could the Soviets try to capture some American island's near the Bering Strait, like St Lawrence Island or Little Dimodode Island and use them as a barging chip against the Americans?

Would you ever so kindly leave our sovereign territory at your earliest convenience?
What is this, Canada?

Edit: I think there is basically a zero % chance that the Soviets attempt an invasion, although Sam Rs subterfuge sounds interesting (but like, surely they tried that OTL).

I'm going to say that if there ever was a chance of this, it was in like 1924-1926; ie as the American troops are fighting in Siberia. As they withdraw, maybe a Red Army still led by Trotsky makes an attempt to land in Alaska. It fails.

Last edited:
Best case scenario is that the US captures Soviet territory and the standoff ends like the Cuban missile crisis. And that’s very much in a “cooler heads prevail” scenario.

Realistically, at least one Soviet city ends up a smoldering crater, and the Soviets either fight to the end - and lose, since China almost certainly says “you’re on your own” to the Soviets after such a batshit insane move - or back the hell down if they know what’s good for them.

How would the US have responded if the US tried to invade Alaska to re-conquer it during the Cold War to establish a beachhead in North America? How would the US have responded?
The US responds violently. With everything in the arsenal. EVERYTHING. The war will go nuclear. Teh end.

What is this, Canada?

Edit: I think there is basically a zero % chance that the Soviets attempt an invasion, although Sam Rs subterfuge sounds interesting (but like, surely they tried that OTL).

I'm going to say that if there ever was a chance of this, it was in like 1924-1926; ie as the American troops are fighting in Siberia. As they withdraw, maybe a Red Army still led by Trotsky makes an attempt to land in Alaska. It fails.
Small point of accuracy. Last American ground forces left Siberia in 1920. The US Navy operated a small radio station in the Soviet Far East until 1922. While some fighting between the Soviets and the Americans in Siberia did occur, it was pretty small-scale and sporadic in nature. Owing to the utterly pathetic state of the Red Navy at this time, a Soviet invasion of Alaska was simply impossible. 9

I think bits and pieces are on youtube -
OK ish early 80s cold war thriller

That was one of these depressing weeknight TV movies that came on while you were doing your homework.

I remember it had Cathy Lee Crosby from That's Incredible. But wow, I did not know that it also had Uncle Bill from Family Affair as a Soviet baddie.

And kind of weird to see Jereon Crabbe, venerable standby of European art flicks, doing middlebrow American TV that early in his career.

People are paying too much attention to the body. The title is “tries to re-capture,” not "opposed multiple corps landing."

In 1954 the Khrushchev summarised political committee decides that humiliating the United States via its back door is essential. The chosen method is patient long term work with indigenous communities via covert organisations: the matter is not treated as a political "Delegate to CPUSA" item, but rather as an internal state matter in a constituent republic merely occupied by a foreign power. As such the underground network is recruited from Americans who are recuited by front organisations recruited by front organisations, with little if at all direct connection back to official Soviet Views. This increases the effectiveness of the activity as, on the surface level, it seems to be protestant charity combined with some kind of national self-respect stuff.

Obviously the attempt to re-capture fails, but results in a very different 1970s in Alaska as a variety of the seeded and economically assisted talented tenth / bourgeois nationalist / anti-US pro-indigenous stuff percolates. Possibly peaking at cross borders criminal undergrounds. Giving Canada and Washington State a messier 1980s as well. The current status is a low intensity primarily criminal cross-border network of anti-state conducts, combined with an inherent anti-US and partially anti-government mentality in indigenous communities. This makes Alaskan policing 'fun' for all involved. It also makes Alaska viewed internationally as a festering ulcer of hypocrisy.

yours,
Sam R.

I may just be imagining it, but I do recall the FBI being worried about Soviet intelligence efforts to recruit Alaska Natives to form a fifth column in the region. That was back in the 50s/60s, when the FBI was trying to form their own stay-behind guerrilla force in the event of a Soviet invasion. I could see a scenario where the USSR attempts to ferment some kind of movement amongst the Inuit in Alaska, maybe not to the point of insurrection, but possibly enough to cause trouble ala Quebec in the 60s/70s. If that's the case the US response would be harsh, but short of outright war. I could see us returning the favor to groups in the Caucasus and Central Asia, though, and ramping up the arms race.

Now a full on Soviet invasion starts WW3.

Is this invasion sanctioned by the Soviet Government and Soviet Military? Or this a rogue nationalistic group trying to reclaim Alaska?

Either way, we’re still getting nuked

I'm going to say this ... let's say when the Russian Civil War breaks out, Alaska is part of the Empire.

So this is a civil war where technically Alaska began as theirs.

I STILL can't see an invasion or diplomatic response...that would be like a diplomatic response to China invading Taiwan...if Taiwan bordered the USA