WI: Revolt of the Lakans (Tondo Conspiracy) successful

The Tondo Conspiracy was a revolt planned by Tagalog maharlikas, led by Don Agustin de Legazpi of Tondo and his cousin Martin Pangan, to overthrow the Spanish in the Philippine. It ranged from provinces near Manila all the way to the Calmaianes Islands. It sought out help from a Japanese mercenaries, and the Sultanate of Brunei.

However, the revolt was betrayed, and the Spanish punished rebels associated with the conspiracy, with some being put to death and others being exiled.

But what the Tondo Conspiracy came to fruition, the conspiracy never betrayed, and the rebels gotten support from the Sultanate of Brunei and Japanese Mercenaries? What if the entire North of the Philippines revolted against the Spanish, and what if it was successful?

What would a independent North Philippines, lead by Tondo look like?
What would a Southern Philippines, lead by Spain in Cebu look like?
How would this effect Spanish trade with China?

If Tondo did succeed in overthrowing Spanish rule in the North, could they build up and conquer the South from the remaining Spanish?

During that time, Luzon or Selurong was divided into two prior to the Spanish conquest, the Pagans/Hindus and the Bruneian influenced Muslims, these Muslims would be used as a buffer between the Hindus and the Spanish, IOTL the Pagans did not convert and majorly died off due to a series famine, I think the Pagans would have a fighting chance to unite the Island and have the Muslims be used as a buffer between the Pagans and the Spanish and eliminated later on which could result with the Spanish and pagans dividing the island.

Actually, butterflying a certain detail in the politics prior to the Spanish conquest would mean that Spain cannot conquer the northern half of Luzon/Selurong.

Last edited:
Another thing of Luzon expelling the Spanish is that the previous political status quo would continue which is the battle between the Muslims and Hindus and Muslims would be used as a buffer of the Hindus in Luzon with the Spanish and another is that is if the Hindus would remain stronger and Luzon being out of Spanish control might butterfly the Sakoku of Japan as it is one of the things that a friend of mine said that influenced the Japanese to declare Sakoku.

Last edited:
During that time, Luzon or Selurong was divided into two prior to the Spanish conquest, the Pagans/Hindus and the Bruneian influenced Muslims, these Muslims would be used as a buffer between the Hindus and the Spanish, IOTL the Pagans did not convert and majorly died off due to a series famine, I think the Pagans would have a fighting chance to unite the Island and have the Muslims be used as a buffer between the Pagans and the Spanish and eliminated later on which could result with the Spanish and pagans dividing the island.

Actually, butterflying a certain detail in the politics prior to the Spanish conquest would mean that Spain cannot conquer the northern half of Luzon/Selurong.
Another thing of Luzon expelling the Spanish is that the previous political status quo would continue which is the battle between the Muslims and Hindus and Muslims would be used as a buffer of the Hindus in Luzon with the Spanish and another is that is if the Hindus would remain stronger and Luzon being out of Spanish control might butterfly the Sakoku of Japan as it is one of the things that a friend of mine said that influenced the Japanese to declare Sakoku.
Very interesting, and learned a lot from, you thank you. There is few things I have a question about:

1. Could the whole of Luzon unified under Tondo?
2. How would this effect the Spanish in Cebu, and the Southern Islands? Could the Spanish hold onto the Southern Islands, or be later expelled by the Muslim Sultanates in the middle and bottom?
3. You mention Japan, and how this could effect their Isolationism, but what about Ming China, because without Manila as a trading port, it could effect the whole Manila Silver Trade

Very interesting, and learned a lot from, you thank you. There is few things I have a question about:

1. Could the whole of Luzon unified under Tondo?
2. How would this effect the Spanish in Cebu, and the Southern Islands? Could the Spanish hold onto the Southern Islands, or be later expelled by the Muslim Sultanates in the middle and bottom?
3. You mention Japan, and how this could effect their Isolationism, but what about Ming China, because without Manila as a trading port, it could effect the whole Manila Silver Trade
The Pagans and the rebels in the Lakan rebellion are enemies since the status quo prior to Spain would be restored and the Pagans would use the rebels as a buffer against the Spanish and the Pagans would unite against the rebels first before encountering the Spanish and I think there is a possibility of the Pagans uniting Luzon similar to what they say as Tondo, this Kingdom would likely be a vassal of the Portuguese or the British later on.
Remember that these rebels are Bruneians, these Bruneians are enemies with Igorots/Hindus which are either ruled by the remnants of Majapahit/Javanese derived clans, which are direct vassals of Majapahit or native rulers in the island.

Cebu would likely stay under Spain and Spain would try to gain the Spice Islands.

It is possible that the Ming would survive due to the Silver inflation being stopped.

Last edited: