WI: Queen Victoria assassinated in 1882

On March 2, 1882, a disgruntled poet named Roderick Maclean shot at Queen Victoria. Needless to say, he missed, possibly because his aim was disrupted by an Eton schoolboy.

What if his shot had killed Victoria?

What if his shot had killed Victoria?
Firstly, Victoria's eldest son, Albert Edward, would have ascended the throne, likely taking the name Edward VII as he did OTL. At this time, Edward was immensely popular with the British people (even if he wasn't with his mother) due to his charismatic personality. However, Edward was also deeply political and aided the government in taking many measures which might have alienated the more German-leaning portions of the British populace, especially with the souring relationship between Wilhelm II and Edward VII occuring from the beginning of Wilhelm's reign, rather than the middle of it.

He would have presided over the Second Boer War, and I will let someone more familiar with South African history and politics go into that impact, but I imagine it would give him more time to implement or support initiatives that he was unable to in our time simply because he was already an old man by 1901. Giving him an additional 20 years would allow the Edwardian era to be vastly more influential.

Another big impact of this would have been that Edward's eldest son, Albert Victor, would have likely been named the Prince of Wales. If the influenza pandemic that killed him OTL is butterflied away or doesn't impact him, he is most likely set to wed Mary of Teck (Elizabeth II's grandmother OTL) in 1891. I imagine if he did survive and assumed the throne, he might go under the name Victor, in honor of his grandmother (Albert was a German name and the increasingly Germanophobic British public likely wouldn't have approved). Although the Cleveland Street scandal might have had a MAJOR blow on the monarchy if the heir to the monarchy was involved, assuming it still goes down at all.

About Albert Victor’s involvement in the Cleveland Street scandal proof are inexistent and worse the allegations against him were only rumors (likely spread by the solicitor of one of the men really involved in the scandal who threatened to involve the Duke if the case go ahead (but said client denied to know anything about Albert Victor’s involvement in the scandal) so is likely who here said solicitor will not think to threaten the Prince of Wales and so all of this will butterflied.

Mary of Teck will likely become Duchess of York, marrying George around 1890 as George’s first love interest will surely reject him (Marie of Edinburgh was pushed by her mother to say no as their mothers detested each other) while is possible who AV will be able to marry either of his previous love interests (either Alix of Hesse and by Rhine or more likely Helene of Orleans).

I think pretty unlikely who Albert Victor will take either Albert or Victor as his name as King: in family he was called Eddy (who was his fourth name) and is likely he will keep this name as a King becoming a King Edward VIII

About Albert Victor’s involvement in the Cleveland Street scandal proof are inexistent and worse the allegations against him were only rumors (likely spread by the solicitor of one of the men really involved in the scandal who threatened to involve the Duke if the case go ahead (but said client denied to know anything about Albert Victor’s involvement in the scandal) so is likely who here said solicitor will not think to threaten the Prince of Wales and so all of this will butterflied.

Mary of Teck will likely become Duchess of York, marrying George around 1890 as George’s first love interest will surely reject him (Marie of Edinburgh was pushed by her mother to say no as their mothers detested each other) while is possible who AV will be able to marry either of his previous love interests (either Alix of Hesse and by Rhine or more likely Helene of Orleans).

I think pretty unlikely who Albert Victor will take either Albert or Victor as his name as King: in family he was called Eddy (who was his fourth name) and is likely he will keep this name as a King becoming a King Edward VIII
I do agree on the Edward VIII part, but wasnt Mary of Teck originally betrothed to Albert before his death, only then marrying George? So, assuming Albert doesn't die, he would marry Mary and George would find someone else? Assuming the marriage isn't butterflied as well? A lot can happen in 20 years.

I do agree on the Edward VIII part, but wasnt Mary of Teck originally betrothed to Albert before his death, only then marrying George? So, assuming Albert doesn't die, he would marry Mary and George would find someone else? Assuming the marriage isn't butterflied as well? A lot can happen in 20 years.
Yes. Albert at his death was engaged to Mary it Teck but that engagement happened only after Alix had refuted to marry Albert in 1889 and likewise Albert and Helene (most likely his great love) were forced to renounce to their project to marry in 1891 (and both were quite taken with each other considering who as AV was ready to renounce to the Crown and Helene to convert, but in the end they were forced to renounce to the match*) so butterfly can make either match happen (either AV and Helene found a way for marrying or Alix never meet or fall in love with Nicholas and so marry AV). Instead George’s only love interest before Mary was Marie of Edinburgh and said match was doomed by the great dislike and rivalry between their mothers (both totally against said match).

ATL Victoria’s assassination is around ten years earlier than OTL death of AV

*= see James Pope-Hennessy biography of Queen Mary and Andrew Cook biography of AV for references

Last edited:

VVD0D95

Banned
Yes. Albert at his death was engaged to Mary it Teck but that engagement happened only after Alix had refuted to marry Albert in 1889 and likewise Albert and Helene (most likely his great love) were forced to renounce to their project to marry in 1891 (and both were quite taken with each other considering who as AV was ready to renounce to the Crown and Helene to convert, but in the end they were forced to renounce to the match*) so butterfly can make either match happen (either AV and Helene found a way for marrying or Alix never meet or fall in love with Nicholas and so marry AV). Instead George’s only love interest before Mary was Marie of Edinburgh and said match was doomed by the great dislike and rivalry between their mothers (both totally against said match)

*= see James Pope-Hennessy biography of Queen Mary and Andrew Cook biography of AV for references
If eddy does marry Alix then his line will likely get the haemophilia potentially placing the future of the monarchy in doubt no?

If eddy does marry Alix then his line will likely get the haemophilia potentially placing the future of the monarchy in doubt no?
Not a big trouble in England, where daughters can inherit (and she can have more than one son) unlike Russia. In any case any granddaughter of Victoria from her daughters had a 50% of chance to have that gene (as they can not know for sure what daughters and granddaughters were NOT carriers).

VVD0D95

Banned
Not a big trouble in England, where daughters can inherit (and she can have more than one son) unlike Russia. In any case any granddaughter of Victoria from her daughters had a 50% of chance to have that gene (as they can not know for sure what daughters and granddaughters were NOT carriers).

This is very true, and of course you're right there, always a possibility for more than one son

This is very true, and of course you're right there, always a possibility for more than one son
Still likely Alix was an unrequited crush while Helene was his great love so I would go for the latter (maybe butterflies prevented either other father or the Pope to forbid her conversion allowing them to marry)

VVD0D95

Banned
Still likely Alix was an unrequited crush while Helene was his great love so I would go for the latter (maybe butterflies prevented either other father or the Pope to forbid her conversion allowing them to marry)

Perhaps her father's dead by the time of the proposed marriage, and the Pope has pressure exerted on him? Which leaves the issue of Albert Victor's place in the succession.

Perhaps her father's dead by the time of the proposed marriage, and the Pope has pressure exerted on him? Which leaves the issue of Albert Victor's place in the succession.
Either would be enough and would be enough having the Duke of Paris being more interested in securing a crown for his daughter than to which religion she will profess after the wedding (so giving his consent to the wedding and conversion, unlike OTL) for having then free to marry. Helene was willing to become Anglican for marrying Eddy so if her father do not forbid her conversion they will marry and became Prince and Princess of Wales and later King of Queen while the Duke of York will be a successful naval officer and will likely travel a lot together with his wife May.

VVD0D95

Banned
Either would be enough and would be enough having the Duke of Paris being more interested in securing a crown for his daughter than to which religion she will profess after the wedding (so giving his consent to the wedding and conversion, unlike OTL) for having then free to marry. Helene was willing to become Anglican for marrying Eddy so if her father do not forbid her conversion they will marry and became Prince and Princess of Wales and later King of Queen while the Duke of York will be a successful naval officer and will likely travel a lot together with his wife May.

Interesting, the propsect of the crown for his daughter would be enough here where it wasn't otl?

Interesting, the propsect of the crown for his daughter would be enough here where it wasn't otl?
Well in OTL her father wanted a crown for Helene, just was unwilling to compromise about religion, so we need to made him more flexible about religion (as Helene WAS willing to convert) and more determined in securing that crown...

Prince Eddy marries May of Teck as planned; Prince George marries Alix? He and Nicholas strongly resembled one another (and he is not Russian Orthodox)

King%2BGeorge%2BV%2Band%2Bhis%2Bphysically%2Bsimilar%2Bcousin%2BTsar%2BNicholas%2BII%2Bof%2BRussia%2Bin%2BGerman%2Bmilitary%2Buniforms%2Bin%2BBerlin%252C%2B1913.JPG

Tsarevich Nicholas marries ?? of Greece or Romania or some such.

VVD0D95

Banned
Well in OTL her father wanted a crown for Helene, just was unwilling to compromise about religion, so we need to made him more flexible about religion (as Helene WAS willing to convert) and more determined in securing that crown...

Agreed, or we could simply have him be dead I suppose, and her brother be the one deciding?

Does Victoria's earlier death also affect her younger children's marriages? Leopold married in 1882, is his match delayed because of mourning? Beatrice didn't marry until 1885 OTL, is she likely to marry earlier/ differently without Victoria around to resist the matches proposed for her?

VVD0D95

Banned
Does Victoria's earlier death also affect her younger children's marriages? Leopold married in 1882, is his match delayed because of mourning? Beatrice didn't marry until 1885 OTL, is she likely to marry earlier/ differently without Victoria around to resist the matches proposed for her?

I think Beatrice-she got a domestic or a non entity as a marriage right?- would probably marry abroad, and differently, with Vicky dead

Agreed, or we could simply have him be dead I suppose, and her brother be the one deciding?
That should be doable, the Count of Paris died in 1894, just have his health decline a little faster and the decision will likely be left to her mother/brother, who hopefully are more understanding.

Prince Eddy marries May of Teck as planned; Prince George marries Alix? He and Nicholas strongly resembled one another (and he is not Russian Orthodox)

Probably not. Unless Ella suddenly decides to marry the Grand Duke of Baden instead of heading to Russia (which would really only be in a "Grandma Victoria liked him, now that she's dead I feel obligated to marry him" scenario. Simply put it, you have to find Alix someone else to fall head over heels for before she meets Nicky (which was 1884 IOTL, and even if Ella marries outside Russia she's destined to meet him at least by the Helene/Eddy wedding). George and her had no attraction to each other (George was into Missy of Edinburgh, which got scrapped by her mother who hated England and resented Alexandra).

As for Nicky, if not Alix we have a lack of options that were seriously pursued IOTL. Romania has no princesses (unless you consider Elisabeth's nieces who are a bit young for Nicky, or Carol I's who will face the same Catholic conversion issue Helene did). Greece has princesses, but they're Nicky's first cousins which is a dicey subject in Orthodoxy (Given Nicky squashed several first cousin matches during his reign, specifically between Michael and Beatrice of Edinburgh, I doubt he'd agree to it). Other than that you had Helene (who is going to England here) and Margaret of Prussia (who faces the uphill climb of being Prussian and Willy's sister). He likely marries someone from a random German family that isn't too close with Prussia (as a respect to Minnie who, like her sister, hated Prussia) or one of the many Montenegro sisters.

May of Teck is a good candidate for Duchess of York, although I worry about her chances given she was the extreme compromise candidate (Edward VII hated her mother and her family was in debt up the wazoo, the only reason she was chosen was because she was the only candidate who met Victoria's standards and combined being German enough for Victoria while not actually being German, which was a dealbreaker for Alexandra). If we go for other options proposed for Eddy, his cousins likely get nixed by Alexandra (Helena's girls for their father being a prince of SH which Alexandra insisted belonged to Denmark and Mossy for being Prussian, who also stole SH, and having Willy as a brother, who both of the Waleses loathed). Also in the mix will be Alexandra's Danish and Hannover nieces (although they're a bit young), and some random Germans who will have to prove they aren't too German for Alexandra's tastes (rule of thumb, if they opposed Prussia, like Hesse or Hannover, they're ok, otherwise it won't work).

Beatrice will likely marry earlier and differently than OTL with an earlier death of Victoria, I suspect with Alexander of Bulgaria, brother of her OTL husband. Leopold wedding maybe will be postponed by a couple of moths and will surely celebrated privately

Alix in no way will marry George after refusing Eddy and May of Teck was in no way the main candidate for Eddy: she was a political match and the third choice after Eddy was refuted and forced to renounce to marry other two women who he would have liked to marry (and that engagement happened only nine years after the POD) and the bride was selected by Victoria so is pretty easy seeing it butterflied.
As in OTL the match between George and Mary was mostly a love match and neither had a realistic alternative (as Eddy will marry elsewhere and the very bad relationship between their mothers make Marie of Edinburgh impossible) I think they will marry after Eddy’s wedding to either Helene or Alicky.

As Victoria here is dead at least 6/8 years before Eddy’s proposal to Alix she can accept him (maybe she never meet Nicholas, something pretty likely if Ella never married Sergei, something who happened after the POD. Ella here had already refuted the future Wilhelm II of Prussia, but can very well end marrying Frederick II of Baden)...
Still the Eddy/Alicky match would be based on familial expectation and a mutual liking more than on love under any scenario, while Helene was without doubt Eddy’s great love so I would like better the latter match

For Tsarevich Nicholas well Greece is out of question as they were first cousins and Romania has no girl to offer so maybe Montenegro?

Beatrice will likely marry earlier and differently than OTL with an earlier death of Victoria, I suspect with Alexander of Bulgaria, brother of her OTL husband. Leopold wedding maybe will be postponed by a couple of moths and will surely celebrated privately

Alix in no way will marry George after refusing Eddy and May of Teck was in no way the main candidate for Eddy: she was a political match and the third choice after Eddy was refuted and forced to renounce to marry other two women who he would have liked to marry (and that engagement happened only nine years after the POD) and the bride was selected by Victoria so is pretty easy seeing it butterflied.
As in OTL the match between George and Mary was mostly a love match and neither had a realistic alternative (as Eddy will marry elsewhere and the very bad relationship between their mothers make Marie of Edinburgh impossible) I think they will marry after Eddy’s wedding to either Helene or Alicky.

As Victoria here is dead at least 6/8 years before Eddy’s proposal to Alix she can accept him (maybe she never meet Nicholas, something pretty likely if Ella never married Sergei, something who happened after the POD. Ella here had already refuted the future Wilhelm II of Prussia, but can very well end marrying Frederick II of Baden)...
Still the Eddy/Alicky match would be based on familial expectation and a mutual liking more than on love under any scenario, while Helene was without doubt Eddy’s great love so I would like better the latter match

For Tsarevich Nicholas well Greece is out of question as they were first cousins and Romania has no girl to offer so maybe Montenegro?
If she said no with her grandmother urging her to accept (because I have no doubt Victoria encouraged the Eddy/Alix match as it would keep her favorite granddaughter in England and away from Russia) I don't know if she would accept in an "it's what grandma would have wanted" deal. It would partially depend on who Ernie marries ITTL (as it was Victoria who basically bullied him and Ducky into their awful marriage). Part of the reason Alix suddenly got over her qualms about Orthodoxy in 1894 was that Ernie's marriage meant she'd be replaced as the first lady of Hesse by Ducky (who she didn't like) and the overbearing Maria Alexandrovna. If Alix gets along better with her SIL she might decide to remain unmarried in Hesse or make a pseudo domestic match with one of the SH boys?