WI: President Washington dies of Yellow Fever in 1793

Deleted member 139407

I was scrolling through YouTube when I came across a clip from the HBO John Adams miniseries where "John Adams rips Alexander Hamilton a new one," linked below. One line 7 seconds into the clip, spoken by Adams, is that "when the scourge of yellow fever is removed from Philadelphia, the government may resume its work." After a quick verification of such an epidemic, a thought crossed my mind. What if Washington had been in Philadelphia at the time and died of yellow fever that fateful October? Would Adams be next in line or would there be a snap election? I've also linked the Presidential Succession Act of 1792 as it was the most recent law passed on the manner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_Succession_Act#Presidential_Succession_Act_of_1792

I think Adams wins the election and takes over.

This sets the snap election thing up as the way to go henceforth.

Hopefully with the calming influence of Washington gone Adams, Jefferson, & Hamilton don't blow the whole American expirement up.

Hopefully with the calming influence of Washington gone Adams, Jefferson, & Hamilton don't blow the whole American experiment up.

I doubt they would, especially since this probably does even more to enhance Washington's legacy. Now he gets to be a martyr to the nation. As was his style, presumably on his deathbed Washington gives some suitably grand statements about securing the stability of the nation after he's gone.

I think Adams wins the election and takes over.

This sets the snap election thing up as the way to go henceforth.

Hopefully with the calming influence of Washington gone Adams, Jefferson, & Hamilton don't blow the whole American expirement up.
I think who Adams would succede as President without any need of a snap election (who would be required only if both the President and the Vice President died by the text reported on Wiki).

Deleted member 139407

-BUMP-

So, as it has been discussed that John Adams would, likely, assume the Presidency of the United States - avoiding a snap election as per the Act of Succession - almost full four years ahead of OTL. How would his term go down given that John Adams now has to serve as Commander-in-Chief right off the back of a deceased Washington through the Battle of Fallen Timbers, the Whiskey Rebellion, as well as growing tensions across Europe. Is he handily re-elected as Washington's successor or do we have a bitter fight come 1796? I think there is a massive potential for this United States to veer off into a very different path and I really would love to hear your opinions of it!

**On an aside, I apologize if this violates this Bump rule. If anyone could point me in the direction to find it, that would be of great help.