Okay, so this is a weird question, but what if no clear victor emerged in the 1066 invasions?

In this timeline, Harald Hardrada, William the Bastard, and Harold Godwinson all die in battle. Despite this, the Norwegian and Norman invasion forces do have some success against the English, but not enough to completely destroy English morale.

What happens to England, Normandy, France, and Norway in this timeline?

Okay so I'm the thread author but I think it'd be horrible, yet interesting, if the 1066 succession crisis resulted in basically the Wars of the Roses but 400 years earlier and with other kingdoms getting involved

What happens to England, Normandy, France, and Norway in this timeline?
England:
Edgar Atheling is probably accepted as King.
Sweyn of Denmark may later contest it.

Normandy:
Falls into infighting. One of his sons may gain it later.

France:
No real effect in the short term.

Norway:
Gained by Hardrada's son(s).
Sweyn of Denmark may later contest it.

Re: Normandy, it’d be interesting to see if the assassination of Conan goes ahead. If not, he might well succeed in occupying Normandy.

edit: I agree with the above poster that Sweyn of Denmark is the most likely to fill the Scandinavian vacuum. Does Tostig still die, btw? Another option is that Magnus and Olaf do one of those brother divide things, ie Magnus might stake a claim on England but Olaf takes Norway, or opposite, first one to die, etc.

Last edited:
The Norman forces which are left in England after the death of William the Bastard are destroyed as a fighting force. Duke William's adventure was very risky and many of his troops were pessimistic about the chances of success. William didn't bring any winter provisions with his army so the remainder of his forces would need to pillage in order to get food (this happened in OTL). The Norman army probably disintegrates as many of the non-Norman mercenaries return home. Any surviving Norman army probably isn't strong enough to resist the Anglo-Saxons. Most likely they are driven into a town and besieged by the English. Either they surrender or starve to death.

Regarding the Norwegians, it might depend upon the reaction of the Northumbrians. However, as Northumbria had been part of a united England for a considerable time now it is unlikely there will be much toleration for a band of piratical Norsemen. I imagine most of the Norwegians will return home after some plundering.

England could collapse into civil war if the Witenagemot support Edgar Ætheling after the death of the king while the sons of Godwinson also decide to claim England for themselves. Although, the sons of Godwinson weren't particularly successful in rallying resistance against the Normans in OTL. Their tactics of raiding the south-west of England alienated many sympathisers. They might be even less successful against an England which is ruled by a native king. Perhaps, another similar situation to the alliance between Tostig Godwinson and Harald Hardrada arises, wherein Sweyn II of Denmark decides to aid Harold's sons in their quest for England.