WI : Muslim Victory at Alcoraz 1096 / Aragonese Disaster Zaragoza Taifa Survival

Sinche Sancho Ramirez the kingdom of Aragon become in growing threat to the Hudid Taifa of Zaragoza expanding little by little in the Taifa former territory even if with some setback (the Taifa of Zaragoza was one of the strongest Taifa around and wasn’t exactly defenseless ) in 1094 Sancho died during his siege of Huesca a well fortified city defending the way to Zaragoza herself . But his son Peter I and his brother Alfonso I two highly competent and brave commander start a new siege in 1096 and defeat the relief force led by Al Mustain II and some Castillan renforcement the POD is their army being utterly annihilated and the two of them dying in the battle following that Al Mustain II manage to profit of the chaos following the battle in Aragon to take back the territory
41BCA61E-468A-42C9-9CEB-843A726D6608.png
lost the since the last decade Gause Mozon etc... ( basically the purple part) and Navarre / Pamplona profit of the situation to regain its independence like they did OTL at the death of Alfonso I without heir honestly I would like to make that the county of Ribagorza regain independene too just for weakening even more Aragon but a think a this point that would be a little ASB . Zaragoza position is more secured making them less reliant on Castille and Al Mustain II live longer making them having better relation with the Almoravid and remain their autonomous vassal in the north east . Assurelly the Taifa is not without enemy the Aragon would recover and restart their reconquista sonner than latter even if the defence of Huesca and recapture of Graus , Mozon ...etc and renewed kingdom of Pamplona make the situation far better to the Hudid and preventing the OTL rise of Aragon now there are still other threat like the Catalan to a lesser extent than the Aragonesse and the possibility of Barbayros type crusade under Papal command is real . But the Taifa would be in position to successfully defend themselves for more than another half century .
Now in the butterfly some battle may change a little with the Almoravid not having to fight the Aragonesse and launch expedition to the north not sure if that could make them having some more succes at say ATL Ourique or Oreja and if more victory could make significantly delay the Andalusian rebellion against them but the Almohades still happen and probably the second Taifa is still coming even if delayed but the Hudid dynasty and the Taifa of Zaragoza still her as survivor of the first Taifa period so what are the possible consequence of this scenario for the future of Iberia and the Reconquista ? And the effect of a more dominant and long lasting Muslim pressence in the Ebro river valley ? Could a more prestigious and lasting Hudid dynasty resolve one of the main problem of the Andalusian state that was over reliance on mercenary and a create gradually a more local military force ?

Last edited:
That is a start, but they need a way to cut down the Via Regia so the mountain catholic kingdom become mroe strained gradually, more prestige and a local professional army might be the step to slowly consoliate and beat the mountain kingdoms.

Dont call it reconquista, just conquest.

Have you any idea on how to cut it ? and how exactly it helped Aragon ? Just curious
That was the main Reason how they traded with Europe and where able to hire too much mercenaries from frankish second sons and other unlanded knights, the thing is france would need to get screwed or an a battle weak Aragon and other moutain kingdom too, Aragon is the key, conquer it and the other moutain kingdoms will suffer, plus pyrennes make a perfect natural barrier against france too.

That was the main Reason how they traded with Europe and where able to hire too much mercenaries from frankish second sons and other unlanded knights, the thing is france would need to get screwed or an a battle weak Aragon and other moutain kingdom too, Aragon is the key, conquer it and the other moutain kingdoms will suffer, plus pyrennes make a perfect natural barrier against france too.
Honestly I have no idea how to destroy the Via Reiga and prefer not screw too much with the rest of Europe . I doubt that the Taifa of Zaragoza could conquer and hold all of Aragon that seem a little wankish but post 1096 might be the best timing to conquer some part of it with the Pope busy preparing the Crusade and assuming that Peter I and Alfonso I dead leave Aragon leaderless with their army destroyed Al Mustain II could possibly profit to take and hold the southern part of Aragon

042FC650-AB16-42C0-B8FF-2820274E35DE.jpeg

Something like that ? That would probably uproar in Christianity but with the Pope occuped that could potentially work