According to most Tudor Historians, Henry VIII attempted to lay the groundwork for an early Union of the Crowns (which happened many years later, under James VI and I), in 1543, by betrothing his son Edward to Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots. Now, as we all know, the betrothal fell through just months later, leading to the Rough Wooing and Mary married Francis II of France.

But what if she married Edward VI as planned and the Union of the Crowns happened earlier? How would England have changed?

Would Edward VI still die at young age without them getting children? In such case things might go pretty intresting.

Would Edward VI still die at young age without them getting children? In such case things might go pretty intresting.
I suppose that if Henry VIII lived a little longer and Edward's illness of 1553 was butterflied away, Edward and Mary could've had a child or two (maybe more). Since per the aforementioned Treaty of Greenwich, Mary was supposed to marry Edward and move to England when she turned ten.

I suppose that if Henry VIII lived a little longer and Edward's illness of 1553 was butterflied away, Edward and Mary could've had a child or two (maybe more). Since per the aforementioned Treaty of Greenwich, Mary was supposed to marry Edward and move to England when she turned ten.

Then there would be pretty stable union between England and Scotland depending how competent Edward's and Mary's successor is. Things might go either well or then screwed badly.

Then there would be pretty stable union between England and Scotland depending how competent Edward's and Mary's successor is. Things might go either well or then screwed badly.
Would Mary convert to Protestantism after her marriage, though? Edward was Protestant IIRC...

For their first son and mutual heir i think they would pick William, since it's one of the few names that both Kingdoms had in common in terms of Monarchs.

I think, if it were up to Edward, the kid would be named Henry - so Henry IX of England and I of Scotland.
For his father yeah, but out of consideration for his wife and the second realm his son is to inherit, William would be a good compromise, William III of England and II of Scotland.

Possible Family Tree
Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots (b. 1543) m. 1553 Edward VI of England (cons. 1558)
  1. William III & II (b. 1558)
  2. Princess Catherine (b. 1560)
  3. Princess Elizabeth (b. 1562)
  4. Henry, Duke of York (b. 1563)
  5. Princess Mary (b. 1565)

Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots (b. 1543) m. 1553 Edward VI of England (cons. 1558)
  1. William III & II (b. 1558)
  2. Princess Catherine (b. 1560)
  3. Princess Elizabeth (b. 1562)
  4. Henry, Duke of York (b. 1563)
  5. Princess Mary (b. 1565)
Sweet family tree! Although Henry will also be the Duke of Albany to reflect his scottish heritage!

Would Mary convert to Protestantism after her marriage, though? Edward was Protestant IIRC...
Most likely, Mary would be taken to England as a child and raised Protestant. OTL, she was taken to France as a child. IIRC, French forces were stationed in Scotland and there was a French regent, which was accepted by the Scots for a while. Could that be achieved by England? If Mary was in English custody, would that keep the Scots in line?