WI Mary of Burgundy doesn't marry Maximillian

In OTL, Mary of Burgundy had many suitors, including the Dauphin and Maximillian of Austria. What if she married neither of these, or even a local?

Indeed... but when Isabella becomes heiress of Castille any deals with Burgundy would have been called off in order to achieve the Iberian Union...
You forget how messy that situation was. Isabella was her brother's heiress, but her brother conspired against her to make his daughter the heiress. The Aragonese could have concluded Isabella wasn't worth the trouble.

Indeed... but when Isabella becomes heiress of Castille any deals with Burgundy would have been called off in order to achieve the Iberian Union...

Unless Isabella is already married at that time. She married Ferdinand not because she wanted an Iberian Union, but because:
a) The armies of Aragon would help her to make good her claim to Castile against the supporters of Joanna la Beltraneja.
b) Ferdinand had the same age as her. Isabella refused Alfonso V of Portugal because he was too old for her.

If Joanna la Beltraneja had never being born, then probably Isabella, as the only recognized heir of Castile, would need to accept more the decisions of Henry IV. Considering that Henry IV hated John II of Aragon, then probably she would be married to John II of Portugal, or to Charles, Duke of Berry. The first idea is interesting, since it give us Portugal and Castille united, while Aragon remains independent. But the second one, if Charles VIII of France still dies childless, could give union a Castilian-French personal union.

Unless Isabella is already married at that time. She married Ferdinand not because she wanted an Iberian Union, but because:
a) The armies of Aragon would help her to make good her claim to Castile against the supporters of Joanna la Beltraneja.
b) Ferdinand had the same age as her. Isabella refused Alfonso V of Portugal because he was too old for her.

If Joanna la Beltraneja had never being born, then probably Isabella, as the only recognized heir of Castile, would need to accept more the decisions of Henry IV. Considering that Henry IV hated John II of Aragon, then probably she would be married to John II of Portugal, or to Charles, Duke of Berry. The first idea is interesting, since it give us Portugal and Castille united, while Aragon remains independent. But the second one, if Charles VIII of France still dies childless, could give union a Castilian-French personal union.

I have been thinking of the idea of Mary herself marrying Berry....provided he doesn't die before it takes place...that being the POD

I think the POD for Mary of Burgundy not marrying Maximilian has to be in 1477, when Charles the Bold died. A longer-lived Charles the Bold would be quite interesting, and is the subject of quite a few timelines. For the purposes of this scenario Charles the Bold doesn't get a crown from Frederick III and doesn't have a son, two things that were pretty low probability anyway. He loses the Battle of Nancy, and the feud with Louis XI continues. Charles the Bold surviving Louis XI would probably affect the 'Mad War' during Charles VIII's regency. An alliance between Francis II, Charles the Bold, and Duke Louis of Orleans (future Louis XII) against the French crown seems probable, though Bourbon and Anne of France seemed capable of fending off Orleans ambitions.

I really want to find a way to have Mary of Burgundy married to Charles VIII. Adding the entire Burgundian Inheritance to the French crown would be very interesting, and it would create HUGE butterflies with serious balance of power consequences. Charles VIII marrying Mary instead of Anne of Brittany would also be a big difference, and Brittany's future would probably continue outside the French crown's control.

I really want to find a way to have Mary of Burgundy married to Charles VIII. Adding the entire Burgundian Inheritance to the French crown would be very interesting, and it would create HUGE butterflies with serious balance of power consequences. Charles VIII marrying Mary instead of Anne of Brittany would also be a big difference, and Brittany's future would probably continue outside the French crown's control.

I'm not so sure that Brittany could continue independent for too long ITTL. A France kingdom united with Burgundy would probably be stronger, and they could simply annex it. Brittany is isolated from other important powers, except by England through the sea, but I think the English wouldn't be interested in declaring wars against France to protect it (well, at least I can't see Henry VII doing it).

I'm not so sure that Brittany could continue independent for too long ITTL. A France kingdom united with Burgundy would probably be stronger, and they could simply annex it. Brittany is isolated from other important powers, except by England through the sea, but I think the English wouldn't be interested in declaring wars against France to protect it (well, at least I can't see Henry VII doing it).

Edward V, one of the Princes of the Tower, was engaged to Anne of Brittany in 1480. The engagement was ended when Edward V was deposed by his uncle Richard III. The POD of a longer-lived Charles the Bold isn't cause for Edward VI to live longer than OTL, but if he does, even two years longer, than Edward V would probably be able to survive on the throne and marry Anne of Brittany in the 1480's.

Faeelin

Banned
The OTL ones considered?

1) Duke of Clarence. Brother of Edward IV. She could also have married Edward, had his wife died.

2) Charles, brother of Louis XI. If he had lived, then perhaps. The Duchy of Guyenne would have been his feif as well. Probably it all falls to louis when his brother dies; he was... a moron, basically. Effects of a french amsterdam?

3)Francis of Brittany. In 1471 he entertained the possibility. Louis tried to lie to him by saying that the burgundians were impotent. With England, the Duke would be well positioned to split up France.

4) Nicholas of Anjou. Perhaps. Lorraine joined to the low countries by ties of marriage. Happy Anjou...

5) Phillip, elector of the palatinate. Now we're getting somewhere.

6) Charles VIII. Merger with France. Capital may be moved, but perhaps not.

7) Philibert of Savoy. Isn't this effectively Lotharingia?

The OTL ones considered?

1) Duke of Clarence. Brother of Edward IV. She could also have married Edward, had his wife died.

Died when he rebelled against his brothers, and was married to one of the Neville sisters by his older brother in order to keep Richard III and Clarence at loogerheads (it seems to me).

2) Charles, brother of Louis XI. If he had lived, then perhaps. The Duchy of Guyenne would have been his feif as well. Probably it all falls to louis when his brother dies; he was... a moron, basically. Effects of a french amsterdam?

Dead, and I don't think Louis XI would want that man anywhere close to controlling Burgundy.

3)Francis of Brittany. In 1471 he entertained the possibility. Louis tried to lie to him by saying that the burgundians were impotent. With England, the Duke would be well positioned to split up France.

I like it. I like England better though. A surviving Yorkist line in the person of Edward V would be nice. English Brittany would be even better.

s4) Nicholas of Anjou. Perhaps. Lorraine joined to the low countries by ties of marriage. Happy Anjou...

5) Phillip, elector of the palatinate. Now we're getting somewhere.

Both cool, and keeps Burgundy independent of both the Capets and Hapsburgs.

6) Charles VIII. Merger with France. Capital may be moved, but perhaps not.

I don't think Paris would lose its position as the capital of France. The move of the French border that far east would have a big effect, and any future conflicts in Germany that involve France are going to be quite different, with the French able to project their own military power into Germany (Swedish role in Germany sure is going to look different).

I really like this marriage. It would be very cool.

7) Philibert of Savoy. Isn't this effectively Lotharingia?

The Swiss Confederation is in the way I think.

Faeelin

Banned
Matthias, Those were all marriages considered at one point or another, not necessarily those alive in 1477.

Matthais Corvinus;2496982 Dead said:
Probably not, but had he not died and his betrothal resulted in marriage, then there is little he could probably do about it. He attempted to have the Pope prevent the marriage and failed. Berri would then likely end up as co- regent with his sister Anne if not sole regent for the underage Charles when Louis dies.[/B]

It would get a united Burgundy France though if Charles still dies without male issue as Berri would be the senior male line over Francis of Orleans.

How that plays out during the French wars of Religion would be interesting with a much stronger Hugenot presence in a Valois-Berri/Guyenne and Burgogne France. You would have the Duke of Bourbon in the south and the house of Orange in the north and scattered influential Hugenot strongholds in between

I like it. I like England better though. A surviving Yorkist line in the person of Edward V would be nice. English Brittany would be even better.

I don't think Paris would lose its position as the capital of France. The move of the French border that far east would have a big effect, and any future conflicts in Germany that involve France are going to be quite different, with the French able to project their own military power into Germany (Swedish role in Germany sure is going to look different).

I really like this marriage. It would be very cool.

The Swiss Confederation is in the way I think.[/QUOTE]

Probably not, but had he not died and his betrothal resulted in marriage, then there is little he could probably do about it. He attempted to have the Pope prevent the marriage and failed. Berri would then likely end up as co- regent with his sister Anne if not sole regent for the underage Charles when Louis dies.

Berri would probably be contesting the regency with sister Anne of France/the Duke of Bourbon and the Duke of Orleans. If Berri living is the POD and Charles the Bold dies on time, then in 1483 Berri would appear the best positioned to seize control of the regency.

So the POD is that Berry doesn't die in 1472, and instead lives about as long as his brother (60 years).

It would get a united Burgundy France though if Charles still dies without male issue as Berri would be the senior male line over Francis of Orleans.

That would be Louis of Orleans, OTL's Louis XII, assuming that Barry and Mary are able to have children, which since Berry isn't dying of veneral disease is the POD seems plausible.

How that plays out during the French wars of Religion would be interesting with a much stronger Hugenot presence in a Valois-Berri/Guyenne and Burgogne France. You would have the Duke of Bourbon in the south and the house of Orange in the north and scattered influential Hugenot strongholds in between.

The Wars of Religion? How about the Valois-Hapsburg Wars that are apparently aborted by this turn of events? Who is Maximilian going to marry if Mary of Burgundy is out? If Burgundy is French, then the German states might be staying in closer line behind the Hapsburg Emperor.

Berri would probably be contesting the regency with sister Anne of France/the Duke of Bourbon and the Duke of Orleans. If Berri living is the POD and Charles the Bold dies on time, then in 1483 Berri would appear the best positioned to seize control of the regency.

So the POD is that Berry doesn't die in 1472, and instead lives about as long as his brother (60 years).

That would be Louis of Orleans, OTL's Louis XII, assuming that Barry and Mary are able to have children, which since Berry isn't dying of veneral disease is the POD seems plausible.

Oops, I thought I might be a bit out of sequence here. Ahead of myself I guess.

The Wars of Religion? How about the Valois-Hapsburg Wars that are apparently aborted by this turn of events? Who is Maximilian going to marry if Mary of Burgundy is out? If Burgundy is French, then the German states might be staying in closer line behind the Hapsburg Emperor.

there is that, but they still did guard their priviledges jealously within the Empire. If Berri does seize the regency he is going to be confronted with the same dilema that Anne has in the "mad war". Since Charles is set to gian the throne of France he may simply devolve some powers back to the Dukes of his own accord. It will bite him in the ass if his own son stands to inherit the whole thing. I had tentatively thought to have him arrange a marriage between a son (tentatively scheduled for arrival in 1476/77) and Anne of Brittany during that course to strengthen the hand of Burgundy when Charles gains his majority. I had also thought that tentatively, Charles the bold need not die at Nancy as he would well have the support of his son-in-law.

Mary will still have to grant the historical priviledges in the Netherlands if he does die as I don't think Louis would want his brother that powerful while his own son was a minor so his help might be reluctant at best. If Charles the bold survives he has an ally in France to safeguard his interests so he can afford to co-operate with the Hapsburgs if need be against the Swiss and renew the alliance with Savoy as well if need be to contain them.

As to Maximillian, Christina of Saxony, necessitating a different bride for Johan of Denmark (Sophie of Pommerania perhaps or if the daughter of Karl Knudsson's third marriage is old enough....... I can't really find a lot of records for her)

Charles will still get the Angevin claims on Naples, but it depends on if he feels confident enough in France to pursue them. If Charles the Bold has died by this time, then that leaves Berri in Burgundy set to inherit if Charles has also still lost his son to measles, in which case he may have Berri's backing.

the Italian wars could very well still occur just in a suomewhat different context and with France in a much stronger position vis a vis both the Emporer and Spain.

If Berri does seize the regency he is going to be confronted with the same dilema that Anne has in the "mad war". Since Charles is set to gian the throne of France he may simply devolve some powers back to the Dukes of his own accord. It will bite him in the ass if his own son stands to inherit the whole thing. I had tentatively thought to have him arrange a marriage between a son (tentatively scheduled for arrival in 1476/77) and Anne of Brittany during that course to strengthen the hand of Burgundy when Charles gains his majority. I had also thought that tentatively, Charles the bold need not die at Nancy as he would well have the support of his son-in-law.

Berri reconciled with his brother in 1469, and though that reconciliation may not have lasted, I'm not sure what could have been done to save Burgundy. Burgundy lost a series of battles, starting with the Battle of Grandson, in 1476, and even without his death at Nancy would have suffered a serious setback. Burgundy was said to have suffered from madness in that last year of his reign, so its possible that Mary and Barri end up as regents, ruling in the name of the incapacitated Burgundy.

Mary will still have to grant the historical priviledges in the Netherlands if he does die as I don't think Louis would want his brother that powerful while his own son was a minor so his help might be reluctant at best.

Louis XI would probably still attack Burgundy, even if Berri was the actual Duke. Louis XI was ruthless, and had proven in the past his willingness to go after anyone in his way. Berri had territory seized from him in the past and its likely that Louis XI would attempt to seize territory from him again if he is ruling in Burgundy. The question is with Berri as his son-in-law does Burgundy go with the same policies in the mid-70's that led to his death at Nancy.

If Berri outlives his brother, I can't think that Charles VIII is long for this world. Louis XI had inflicted such defeats on Berri that I think Berri would probably go for the French throne, and depose his nephew.

As to Maximillian, Christina of Saxony, necessitating a different bride for Johan of Denmark (Sophie of Pommerania perhaps or if the daughter of Karl Knudsson's third marriage is old enough....... I can't really find a lot of records for her)

Without the wealth of the Burgundian Inheritance, I think the Hapsburgs are going to have a tougher financial time, though without territory bordering on France the Valios-Hapsburg Wars as we know them are probably avoided.

The relationship of the Hapsburg to the French is going to look very different in this TL, because there is not going to be direct territorial competition over the Burgundian Inheritance. You probably will see conflict in Italy, but Great Power contests there are probably going to be France vs. Spain with little Hapsburg involvement. That could neatly divide Europe into two major theaters: a western theater, with the French and Spanish battling over Italy; and an eastern theater that includes the HREGN and the Ottoman borderlands and revolves around the Hapsburgs.

Charles will still get the Angevin claims on Naples, but it depends on if he feels confident enough in France to pursue them. If Charles the Bold has died by this time, then that leaves Berri in Burgundy set to inherit if Charles has also still lost his son to measles, in which case he may have Berri's backing.

The Italian wars could very well still occur just in a suomewhat different context and with France in a much stronger position vis a vis both the Emperor and Spain.

I think Berri will make a move on young Charles, and the 1480's will be remembered as a decade when something was in the air and two Great Powers saw powerful uncles depose regal nephews.