In 1501, 17-year-old Martin Luther entered the University of Erfurt to study law. However, he switched to studying religion and philosophy, a decision that would eventually lead to him leaving university and joining the Order of Saint Augustine in 1505. And we all know how his career as an Augustinian would play out.

What if Luther had continued with his studies of law and become a lawyer?

Hmm, well he could wind up becoming an advisor to some German nobles. As for who could take his place Zwingli and John Calvin are the typical choices.

In all likelihood, unless he ends up either teaching andcomimg up with some radical legal theory or prosecuting/defending some high profile case (I'd say he could end up as privy counsellor, but not sure how fluid the situation was to allow a non-noble into such a position. England and France were one thing, but both England and France tended to be less "sticklers" for genealogy in trivial matters like this)

In 1501, 17-year-old Martin Luther entered the University of Erfurt to study law. However, he switched to studying religion and philosophy, a decision that would eventually lead to him leaving university and joining the Order of Saint Augustine in 1505. And we all know how his career as an Augustinian would play out.

He ended up defending calvin on court

There would be a lot less old women burnt for witch craft and a reduction in vicious anti semitism

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
There would be a lot less old women burnt for witch craft and a reduction in vicious anti semitism
I’d like to see a reference on this particular point, as far as ol’ Martin Luther being a major contributor to this.

I don’t like Luther because he was so blood-thirsty and in full battle cry in regards to what’s called the Peasants’ War. This is where some uneducated persons took his ideas and went further. And one of their big issues was that they were against infant baptism.

I agree: Luther and his Lutheran companions promoted burning witches and Luther himself was s noted anti-semite. Of course, Luther was not at the level of Calvin, Henry VIII and Cromwell but surely he was enough cynical and fanatic to endorse this type of massacres. I remember his letters about the Peasant’s Revolt: he wrote it was not justified but even a duty of every good christian and every good noble to kill these peasants (that were protestant, they fought in his name!) in great numbers “like animals”. As lawyer I can see him becoming a leading persecutor and a legal scholar supporting legal theories to hunt and kill the enemies of his clients. He would be funny seeing him at service if Philip II or the Spanish Inquisition.

He would be funny seeing him at service if Philip II or the Spanish inquisition.
I don’t think the inquisition will recruit a murder-mongering psychopath since the inquisition had a series of legal and procedural guidelines that restricted in some ways things like torture and death penalty, but yes I imagine him in a judgement against Calvin and Zwingli and is glorious.

There’s too much Great Man Theory in this thread.

As a matter of fact Luther’s early writings were remarkably tolerant towards the Jews. His change in opinion only really began to show in 1543 and then probably as a result of a personal crisis combined with calamities befalling the area around Wittenberg. During the Enlightenment, Luther’s early thoughts were used as an argument in favour of integration and toleration. He was even known as a protector of the Jews and his later anti Semitic works ignored or even hidden.

Jews had always been a convenient scapegoat for medieval society when unexplainable disasters struck. Indeed, there was little decidedly “Lutheran” (or revolutionary) about Luther’s later hatred for the Jews. For example, one of his foremost Catholic opponents, Johannes Eck, argued that the Jews ought to be driven out or burned since they murdered Christian children and drank their blood. Such works were commonplace in the middle of the 16th century - across the confessional divide. The 1543-works were only actualised in the 1930’s with the advent of Nazi rule. As such, the causality of Luther’s later antisemitism and the Holocaust is often detached from its historical context. Hitler did not undertake the industrialised slaughter of all the Jews of Europe because of Luther, but because of the latent prevalence of a deeply rooted and far more nefarious kind of antisemitism: One that Martin Luther certainly perpetuated in his later works, but not one that began with him.

To a certain degree, the same can be said about the spike in witch trials during and particularly after the reformation. Witchcraft had always been (granted, I’m speaking from a Scandinavian position) considered a criminal act, but following the reformation persecution was intensified. Yet this was more an example of confessionalisation and social-discipline than a particularly Lutheran theology. The evangelical and catholic confessions both sought to strengthen themselves against the other, in order to withstand the pressure from their rivals. This necessitated a strict internal adherence to whatever confessional doctrine the territorial lord in question had assumed. Naturally, those who fell short of this faced a horrible prospect of persecution. Thus, we see witch trials (or heresy trials on the Iberian peninsular) occurring across the confessional divide in early modern Europe.

In other words, many of the horrors committed during the Reformation period were the result of structural developments, which in turn were dependent on the historical context that went before.