WI: Lady Mary Tudor married Philip of Bavaria

1547-1549
After their father's death, Elizabeth came to live with her sister and her sister's family. Despite the animosity between Elizabeth's mother and Mary, the latter never took it out on her little sister, acting like a second mother for the longest times. Elizabeth also was quite friendly with her brother-in-law, seeing him as a father figure.

Elizabeth and Mary's relationship with Catherine Parr became strained when she eloped with Thomas Seymour. It got worse when rumors started flying around that Philip was seen acting inappropriately with the Lady Elizabeth, rumors that were soon traced back to Thomas Seymour himself. Philip, Mary and Elizabeth were aghast at the rumors, and even more furious when Catherine took her husband's side, cautioning Mary to keep an eye on her husband just in case for there was rarely smoke without fire.

To which Mary replied: "I agree, Madam, but it is not my sweet sister or my loyal husband who has started the fire. No the man fanning the flames is the one in your bed not mine." This sadly would not be the last time such rumors were made about Philip and Elizabeth. Thankfully, neither of them gave Mary any reason to suspect their relationship was anything other than innocent.

To this day, historians debate on why Thomas Seymour had made such vile suggestions about Philip and Elizabeth. Some thinking it was a power play while others wonder if he harbor some inappropriate feelings himself. Either way, it was clear that Thomas Seymour had hoped to get his hands on the girl, using her as a pawn. Unfortunately, he failed, and if anything, this only made the Bedfords determined to keep him far away from Elizabeth and any other granddaughter of King Henry VII for that matter, even going as far as petitioning Edward for Jane Grey's wardship.

Sadly, Elizabeth and Mary would never be able to reconcile with their stepmother as she died of childbed fever, after giving birth to a stillborn girl.

The marriage between Philip and Mary remained strong espically after Philip fell ill and had to be nursed back to health. "She saved me, I know she did," Philip writes to his brother, Otto Henry, "I was ready to ascend to heaven when I heard her voice calling my back. I cannot deny my wife anything." A few months after his recovery, Mary discovered she was pregnant for the fourth time.

Last edited:
OOh. This is going to be fun! I look forward to more. I always love Mary/Phillip stories, all the more so if they're accompanied by Mary/Elizabeth sister bonding, as this one is :)

So will England go back to being Catholic in the future or will England remain Protestant also remember England being pretty weak and a backwater until the glorious Revolution of 1688-1689 I do believe banking reforms and English rediscovering is new destiny. How far do you plan to take the story will it go until 1600 or damned or will it go into Philip I of England live time. Wish you luck stay safe.

It's a shame Philip cannot retain his German titles and lands. Henry VIII's hypothetical grandson could have been an emperor...

Interlude-a scene from Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary
(scene in the nursery, Philip and Mary are admiring their daughters who are playing with their dolls).
Philip(lovingly): They must be the most precious girls in the entire world. (He glances at Mary expecting her to agree, only to see her glancing down at her belly anxiously. He frowns). You are doing it again.

Mary(confused): Doing what?

Philip: Thinking that I am your father and that I will get angry or bored if I don't have a son. Why won't you understand that our daughters are enough for me?

Mary(exclaiming as she turns away): Because I was never enough! (The two toddlers are startled, Philip quickly signals their governess to take them out of the room).

Philip: Mary. (He tries to put a hand on her shoulder only for her to flinch away).

Mary(struggling not to cry): Hal Fitzroy. Anne Boleyn. Elizabeth. Edward. My father choose them. Not me. Never me.

Philip spins her around and embraces her: I choose you. I will always choose you. (He kisses her forehead before placing his hand on her stomach). And if this babe is a girl, I will be happy because I will have four amazing women to love and cherish. We will of course be naming her Mary after my queen.

Mary(giggles): Philip, you know you shouldn't call me that. What if someone overhears and assume the worst?

Philip: But you are my queen. (He kneels down). I, Philip of Bavaria, Duke of Somerset, do swear my everlasting loyalty and love to Her Majesty Mary Tudor, Queen of Hearts.

Mary(beaming at him): Oh, get up, you silly man.

Philip: The things I do for that radient smile. (He gets up and kisses her).

Last edited:
1549-1552
The birth of Lady Joan came on the heels of bloodshed. In March, Thomas Seymour was executed after he attempted to barge into King Edward's chambers with a loaded pistol. None of the Bedfords shed a tear. Lady Elizabeth famously said "This day died a man of much wit and very little judgment." [1] In fact, they were rather relieved that he would no longer be spreading lies about Philip and Elizabeth.

Soon afterwards, but not consequently, the Prayer book and the Kent rebellion began, rebelling against Edward's religious polices.

Mary and Philip as well as the Lady Elizabeth found themselves worried about what that would mean for Lord Philip the Younger. Edward, Earl of Hertford had already petitioned the king to allow the young boy be fostered in a home of a loyal (Protestant) household. Edward, despite his young age, had read between the lines and refused. Now that his people were rebelling and his patience with Mary's refusal to shed her Catholicism was at low ebb as it was, he was beginning to think differently.

The boiling point came when he and Mary had a horrible fight filled with shouting and threats, it ended with them both in tears. Philip and Elizabeth tried to mediate with Philip soothing Mary and Elizabeth pleading with Edward. However, things would remain tense between the two siblings for the rest of their lives.

Meanwhile, the Earl of Hertford, Edward Seymour found himself ousted from power by John Dudley the, Earl of Warwick. The earl was ambitious and sly. Unlike Hertford, he realized that Mary's Catholicism had a twin balance of Lutheran Philip and the religious moderate Elizabeth. He also saw her marriage to Philip as a great boon as he was aware that should Mary become queen, her Hapsburg relatives would not be able to have a great as sway over her. [2]

He made overtures to the Bedfords, using his son Robert's friendship with Elizabeth to get his foot in the door. Although, he did little to endear himself to Mary, he managed to at least convince them that he was not their enemy.

In 1552, King Edward's uncle, Edward Seymour, the Earl of Hertford would be executed for scheming against the Earl of Warwick's regime. Although the Bedfords cared little for Hertford, they would become increasingly suspicious of the Earl of Warwick and his motivations.

Later, Mary would give birth to a stillborn son. She would fall in a deep depression and her husband and her sister feared that she would sicken and die. It was during those horrible months that Mary got the idea to start her memoirs.

[1] Like I wasn't going to use that line.

[2] I don't think that John Dudley's changing of the succession was fully his idea and I think he had other reasons not to want her to be queen. I think he is a lot like Cromwell, that he will do anything the king asks him to do.

Last edited:
Oh poor Mary to have to clash with her brother and then lose an unborn child. Still I get the feeling that Phil of Bavaria will do quite a bit to win over reluctant religious moderates in the future.

1553 part 1
Edward fell ill in January with a fever. It would steadily get worse and it soon become clear that the king would die. He sent for his sisters who raced to his side. He pleaded with Mary to repudiate her faith. She would tearfully refuse. Edward informed her that if she did not, he would ignore his father's will and name Jane Grey as his heir. In his opinion, if his sisters were illegitimate, then their offspring were equally ineligible for throne. Mary was heartbroken and outraged that he was willing to even skip over her son in order to ensure that England remained Protestant.

Mary returned to Hudson Manor despite her sister urging to stay at court so she could reconcile with Edward. Elizabeth knew that if she followed it was good as saying that she chose her sister over her brother. Instead she went to Hever, partly to grieve her brother's health, but so she could not be forced to make a choice. The Duke of Somerset was not as angry as his wife was, instead assuring her that this wrong would be righted.

By July, King Edward was dead, and Jane Grey was declared queen, confirmed by the council and parliament. Mary and her family were summoned to London. The Duke of Somerset sent a response assuring them that they would most gladly come to London for the coronation for the new queen. To absolutely no one's surprise, the queen he meant was not Jane Grey, but instead his beloved wife. Mary declared herself queen at Kenninghall, Suffolk before she marched on London with a vast amount of supporters. On one side was Philip while Elizabeth rode on her other side.

Queen Mary wrote in her memoirs how the people of London had cheered when she arrived, throwing flowers at her. And that she had almost burst into tears upon hearing someone proclaim her mother's daughter. I sometimes wonder what my mother would think of me, she wrote. It is my dearest hope that she is proud of the woman I have become and the queen I shall be.

While Mary viewed her cousin, Jane Grey, as a mere puppet of the conspiracy, she still has her imprisoned in the Tower of London along with Northumberland and the Suffolks. Out of the main conspirators, Northumberland was executed immediately. He would insist that he had argued with King Edward to make Philip of Cambridge his heir and only had gone along with the monarch when it became clear that he would not change his mind about Jane Grey.

The queen would free the Duke of Norfolk, Edward Courtney, and Bishop Gardiner from the Tower. She would name the Duke of Norfolk the Earl Marshal. She made Henry Courtney the Earl of Devon and married him to Katherine Grey, the younger sister of the disposed queen. Bishop Gardiner would become her Lord Chancellor and would crown her. Mary would name her husband as Lord President of the Privy Council and make Elizabeth the Duchess of Wessex in her own right. It was clear that the new queen was establishing her power base with people she knew would be loyal to her.

Oh it's happening, Mary is Queen and I hope that her reign her is longer and goes better than IOTL..
Not going to lie, I was originally going to have Mary die her historical date of 1558, but then I realized how much of a waste that would be. No, Mary, after all she has gone through, deserves to be Queen of England for at least thirty years. In fact, just to spite Henry, I might make her reign longer than his.

EDIT: Just looked up the dates. Henry reigned for nearly thirty-eight years. If I have Mary rule for forty years she would be in her late seventies. Not sure if I will do that, but I shall consider it.

As for her reign, it already is going better than OTL as she has a husband who has been living in England for ten years and while is still a foreigner, is a least one less threatening to English independence than Philip of Spain (the fact that he appeals to the Protestant subjects helps). She also has a healthy son which helps quell any worries for the succession. The fact that she is on better terms with her sister and has a loving husband does good things for her mental health.

I also plan on making one of the phantom pregnancies real.

Last edited:
Not going to lie, I was originally going to have Mary die her historical date of 1558, but then I realized how much of a waste that would be. No, Mary, after all she has gone through, deserves to be Queen of England for at least thirty years. In fact, just to spite Henry, I might make her reign longer than his.

EDIT: Just looked up the dates. Henry reigned for nearly thirty-eight years. If I have Mary rule for forty years she would be in her late seventies. Not sure if I will do that, but I shall consider it.

As for her reign, it already is going better than OTL as she has a husband who has been living in England for ten years and while is still a foreigner, is a least one less threatening to English independence than Philip of Spain (the fact that he appeals to the Protestant subjects helps). She also has a healthy son which helps quell any worries for the succession. The fact that she is on better terms with her sister and has a loving husband does good things for her mental health.

I also plan on making one of the phantom pregnancies real.
Seventies isn't THAT old - Elizabeth also died in her seventies

1553 part 2
Mary started her reign with Stephen Gardiner crowning her at Westminster Abby while her six-year-old son, Philip was created the Prince of Wales. Upon seeing the crown of St. Edward on Mary's head, Princess Elizabeth proclaimed, "This is God's doing and it is wonderful in our eyes!" [1].

Now Mary was just as eager as most English Catholics to return to the Flock of Rome. However, she could hardly say heresy must be eradicated when her two biggest supporters followed the reformed faith. In her memoirs, she noted how hard it was to reconcile with what she believed and what she needed to be true. Because she refused to accept that the man who loved her unconditionally and the sister who she adored could be damned. She would go on to state that God in infinite kindness would take pity on those who acted out of ignorance instead of malice.

Queen Mary was adamant in returning the English church to the Catholic doctrine, but she professed that as long as her subjects were willing to be loyal and true, she would not peer into their souls, only pray that they be purified.

Leaving the matter of religion aside for the moment, Mary instead turned to her children. She already had a bridegroom in mind for her precious daughter, Prince Felipe of Spain. As he was recently widowed and future king, not to mention a Hapsburg cousin, he was the perfect match for Princess Catalina. The Spanish Ambassador Simon Renard was most eager to gain an alliance with England and sang the praises of the Princess Katherine who was blooming into a lovely lady. Queen Mary would also seek an Italian match and a Austrian Hapsburg match for Princess Mary and Princess Elizabeth the Younger.

This of course unnerved France as they had no intention of being surrounded by enemies. King Henri would suggest his eldest daughter Elizabeth for Prince Philip of Wales. The queen knowing that her rule was not solidified enough to reject a powerful ally, agreed to negotiated a betrothal contract, but did not wholeheartedly commit, wanting to see if she could secure a Hapsburg bride for her son.

As the year of 1553 came to close, Mary would write in her memoirs that the easy part was over, now the struggles would begin. She was not wrong.

[1] Like I wasn't going to use that line.

Last edited:
1554-1556
Queen Mary's tolerance for the reformed faith was often seen by both allies and enemies as a weakness. This included the Lutheran bishops, chief among them, the Archbishop of Canterbury, Thomas Cranmer, the same man who called her parents' marriage invalid. He refused to adhere to the Catholic doctrine of mass, calling it false. He even wrote a pamphlet urging Duke Philip to convince his wife to see the error of her ways. To which Duke Philip replied, "Foolish man, we knew the minute we met if we ever had a chance of happiness, it was best to remain silent on the matter of religion."

Queen Mary, either at the behest of her sister or because of her own views on mercy, gave Cranmer a chance to recant his words. When he did not, he was arrested for treason as were several other Protestant bishops who spoke openly against Catholicism. This lead to rumors that Queen Mary's tolerance was merely a farce and she was planning on burning all of England until no heretic remained.

This led directly to Thomas Wyatt the Younger's rebellion. There are different accounts of the true objective of the rebellion. Some insist, it was merely to force Mary into giving equal rights to Protestants, others say it was to dispose her and put either Prince Philip or the Lady Elizabeth on the throne. Regardless of the motive, the uprising rose quickly.

The Duke of Somerset led the royal army himself, ready to defend his wife's rule. Meanwhile the Lady Elizabeth stayed close to her sister, reminding everyone that she was Mary's loyal subject. The rebellion was defeated swiftly, but it was a grim reminder to Mary that she could not be seen as weak or easily swayed. She signed the death warrants of those imprisoned for treason. In her memoir, she admitted that of all of them, the only death she regretted was Lady Jane Grey, but in the end she felt it was necessary, least anyone thought to use her again.

During the end of 1554, Mary announced she was pregnant. In April 1555, the queen gave birth to the Duke of York. After much discussion, it was agreed, he would be named Edward for the brother she had loved (not for the king she fought with). With her second son's birth, Mary decided it was a sign from God that He approved her policies of religious tolerance. [1].

In 1556, the politics of Europe began to shift. Emperor Charles had abdicated, dividing his empire between his son and his brother. Frederick II, Elector Palatine died, leaving his electorship to Otto Henry, Duke Philip's childless brother. While Philip had renounced his German dukedom upon marrying Mary, he had never been removed from the line of Palatine succession. If Philip remained in line, then Prince Philip would become an Elector of Germany as well as the King of England. In order to settle matters, Philip was called to Germany.

[1] No phantom pregnancy= happy Mary!

Last edited: