WI: Henry VIII dies in 1536, Jane Seymour survives.

Straight-forward. Henry gets his legitimate male heir at long last, Edward VI, unfortunately he dies right after this son is born. His third wife, Jane Seymour, becomes queen dowager and queen mother. What would change?

VVD0D95

Banned
Hopefully Edward doesn’t turn out quite as radical as he did otl. Janes brothers perhaps avoid their otl fate.

trinity

Banned
In the event that Edward dies early during his childhood from a freak illness, say, in the late 1530s, who will succeed him on the throne? His two sisters, Mary and Elizabeth, are both illegitimate at this stage, whilst his natural-born half-brother, Henry FitzRoy, is dead before this POD.

VVD0D95

Banned
In the event that Edward dies early during his childhood from a freak illness, say, in the late 1530s, who will succeed him on the throne? His two sisters, Mary and Elizabeth, are both illegitimate at this stage, whilst his natural-born half-brother, Henry FitzRoy, is dead before this POD.
Had Henry passed any succession act? If not then I’d presume that mary gets the nod being considered the rightful heir by most

trinity

Banned
Had Henry passed any succession act? If not then I’d presume that mary gets the nod being considered the rightful heir by most
The First and the Second Succession Acts both delegitimized Mary and Elizabeth. There will most likely be a War of the Roses-style Civil War between Mary's and Elizabeth's supporters.

VVD0D95

Banned
The First and the Second Succession Acts both delegitimized Mary and Elizabeth. There will most likely be a War of the Roses-style Civil War between Mary's and Elizabeth's supporters.
And a later succession acts meant James I shouldn’t have inherited the throne but he did.

I think most will go for mary who was seen as legitimate by most. Whilst Liz legitimacy was largely in question

trinity

Banned
And a later succession acts meant James I shouldn’t have inherited the throne but he did.
James I was unilaterally declared King by the Privy Council after Elizabeth's death, not through a Succession Act passed by Parliament.

Last edited:

VVD0D95

Banned
James I was unilaterally declared King by the Privy Council after Elizabeth's death, not through a Succession Act passed by Parliament.
Yes I know, and yet had they applied the succession act he wouldn’t have inherited.

trinity

Banned
think most will go for mary who was seen as legitimate by most. Whilst Liz legitimacy was largely in question
As soon as it becomes clear that Edward isn't going to survive any of his frequent childhood illnesses, his Privy Council will likely at least make a serious attempt to marry Mary off to either the Duke of Bavaria or the Duke of Cleves.

VVD0D95

Banned
As soon as it becomes clear that Edward isn't going to survive any of his frequent childhood illnesses, his Privy Council will likely at least make a serious attempt to marry Mary off to either the Duke of Bavaria or the Duke of Cleves.
Indeed they will try to. Mary will likely have her own ideas as to who she marries.

VVD0D95

Banned
If she does end up becoming Queen of England after Edward's early death, who will be the potential candidates for becoming her jure uxoris King?
PHilip of Spain seems likely, maybe his dad Charles. Maybe James V if he’s still unwed

Jane Seymour sides with Mary Tudor, so she will marry someone friendly to Jane Seymour, perhaps either James V or the Duke of Beja but I think Beja is more likely.

Last edited: