WI:Franco-Polish alliance vs Austria-Prussia on Austrian War of Succession

Well three Catholics bishops and one Catholic King were more than enough for preventing the election of a Protestant as Holy Roman Emperor. Plus Habsburgs were Catholics and the only not Habsburg HRE after the Reformation was still a Catholic Elector, son and husband of two Austrian Archduchesses so...

Frederick of Palatinate was never recognized by the Imperial Diet as King of Bohemia and was soon deprived of both Kingdom and Electorate so his double vote was never a problem (at the election of 1619 the other prince electors recognized Ferdinand of Austria as King of Bohemia instead of Frederick, who was elected and had accepted but was not yet crowned as King because Ferdinand was elected as heir and the prince electors considered invalid his deposition by the Bohemian parliament)
Does not matter because this was just an issue of a military fortune. If he won, he would end with two electoral positions.

Does not matter because this was just an issue of a military fortune. If he won, he would end with two electoral positions.
Then he would be unable to cast both votes and his recognition as King of Bohemia by the imperial diet will be likely followed by the transfer of the electoral status from Palatinate to some other lands (likely to Bavaria as OTL or Austria) so Frederick will not have two recognized electoral positions

Then he would be unable to cast both votes and his recognition as King of Bohemia by the imperial diet will be likely followed by the transfer of the electoral status from Palatinate to some other lands (likely to Bavaria as OTL or Austria) so Frederick will not have two recognized electoral positions

Look, this is all pure speculations on your and mine side. Can you find a regulation preventing person from holding two electoral positions? So far I did not find anything of the kind but if you can find it, I’ll change my opinion. If you can’t then your guesses are just speculations.

I think the Cassus Belli for the War of Austrian Succession here would be the claims of Maria Josepha of Austria..

Alternatively we can have Charles de Bourbon as the husband of Maria Theresa and we have a three pronged war with the Prussians, Poles and France against a Austro-Spanish one and Louis of Spain survives.

I think the Ethnic Polish parts of Silesia would be given to Saxony as a landbridge if Austria won the War of Austrian Succession which is a win-win situation...for Maria Theresa and Maria Josepha so what we need is for Poland and Austria to defeat Prussia.

Last edited:
From 1777 until desolution of HRE Electorate of Bavaria and Electorate of Palatinate were combined, but despite keeping title of Elector of Palatinate, Wittelsbachs retained only one electoral vote (from Bavaria). So we have example of two electorates under single ruler, with number of votes being simply reduced to one.

From 1777 until desolution of HRE Electorate of Bavaria and Electorate of Palatinate were combined, but despite keeping title of Elector of Palatinate, Wittelsbachs retained only one electoral vote (from Bavaria). So we have example of two electorates under single ruler, with number of votes being simply reduced to one.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the Bavaria + Palatinate electorate in something of a unique situation following the peace of westphalia? I thought technically Bavaria was the senior and the palatinate the junior of the same vote?

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the Bavaria + Palatinate electorate in something of a unique situation following the peace of westphalia? I thought technically Bavaria was the senior and the palatinate the junior of the same vote?
I think they had separate votes before Palatinate was united under single rule with Bavaria.
Still, Emperor Charles VII claimed whole Habsburg inheritance, including Czech throne, despite fact, that he was Elector of Bavaria already, so I don't think mere fact of being Elector would prevent Fritz from taking another one. We'd have Elector of Bavaria vs Elector of Brandenburg, with other possible claimant (Frederick Augustus of Saxony) also being Elector).

I think they had separate votes before Palatinate was united under single rule with Bavaria.
Still, Emperor Charles VII claimed whole Habsburg inheritance, including Czech throne, despite fact, that he was Elector of Bavaria already, so I don't think mere fact of being Elector would prevent Fritz from taking another one. We'd have Elector of Bavaria vs Elector of Brandenburg, with other possible claimant (Frederick Augustus of Saxony) also being Elector).

Yes, the case of the Bavarian and Palatinate electorates was a peculiar one, reason for which the Palatinate vote was absorbed in the Bavarian one instead of being transferred to someone else...
If some elector wil have two electoral votes he will be able to cast only one of them and is pretty likely who the other will be transferred for keeping the balance (as a reduction of the electoral college will not gave benefit to anyone)..,