WI: Felix Steiner carried out Hitler's order and counter-attacked the Russians in Berlin?

Would Berlin still have fallen if Steiner counter-attacked

• Yes

Votes: 239 94.5%
  • No

Votes: 14 5.5%

• Total voters
... Red Army wouldn’t even notice...

Indeed. Hitler had ordered a all out attack on the Remagen bridgehead. Those on the spot reported some local actions and steady harassing fires for a week, but nothing remotely threatening the bridgehead. Peregrin commanding one of the engineer battalions installing a pontoon bridge adjacent comments on the several V2 missiles that exploded nearby. He found out about the aborted attempt by the German combat swimmers second hand, There was some artillery fire audible in the hills to the east, but that faded out. The only solders visible were the US First Army pouring east on the bridges and ferrys established.

Garrison

Donor
Indeed. Hitler had ordered a all out attack on the Remagen bridgehead. Those on the spot reported some local actions and steady harassing fires for a week, but nothing remotely threatening the bridgehead. Peregrin commanding one of the engineer battalions installing a pontoon bridge adjacent comments on the several V2 missiles that exploded nearby. He found out about the aborted attempt by the German combat swimmers second hand, There was some artillery fire audible in the hills to the east, but that faded out. The only solders visible were the US First Army pouring east on the bridges and ferrys established.
That sums up Nazi Germany in 1945, out of manpower and clinging to the hope that some wonderweapon could turn the tide.

For a lot of them the hope clung to was the Brits or Yanks would roll over them and end the increasing executions by the nazi organizations, the endless bombing, the severe food shortage, the lack of coal, medical supplies, clothing, shelter, ect... ect... One of the things the nazi apologists & fanboys don't like mentioned is how in the spring the general population and bulk of the soldiers welcomed the arrival of West Allied soldiers to desert or surrender to.

Last edited:

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
What would have happened if Steiner carried out the counter attack? Although they were outnumbered 10-to-1, there were many battles in history where the victors were outnumbered as much or even worse.

Do you think Steiner could have halted the Russians enough to buy Hitler some time to regroup and launch a viable counter against the Russians from Berlin?
10:1

Try around 250:1. With a force comprised of combat rejects, old men and kids whose voices hadn't changed yet, against combat hardened veterans with heavy armor and lots of it.

Steiner had two depleted battalion of Waffen SS INFANTRY available out of his grandly titled III SS Panzer Corps, without any heavy weapons, some didn't even have personal weapons.

The Reich lost ANY remote chance of even mounting a hedgehog defense of inner Berlin when Hitler, in his brilliance, threw the strategic reserve his command staff had managed to squirrel away into a crackpot effort to split the WAllied lines, take Antwerp, and supposedly demoralize the U.S. so badly it would withdraw from the War.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Here something I wonder.

Just due the sheer total numerical inferiority and the Soviet air support, could the attack be wiped out as soon they made contact with the Russians and just deprive the Wehrmacht of this soldiers and made it fall a few hours earlier?
Realistically the Red Army wouldn't have even noticed.

when Hitler, in his brilliance, threw the strategic reserve his command staff had managed to squirrel away into a crackpot effort to split the WAllied lines, take Antwerp, and supposedly demoralize the U.S. so badly it would withdraw from the War.
I wonder what would have happened if Hitler didn’t go ahead with the Ardennes Offensive.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
I wonder what would have happened if Hitler didn’t go ahead with the Ardennes Offensive.
End result would have been the same. Losses suffered by the Wallies, primarily the U.S. in the Bulge simply move over to the Red Army (probably at 2-3x since the Heer would be fully on the defensive and fighting from at least hastily prepared positions). Berlin may fall as much as a 10 days later, with more Wehrmacht personnel managing to get to WAllied lines for their surrender.

To do much better than that would require Hitler to allow his commanders to actually set up a good defense in depth starting no later than late November/early December of 1944. At that point in time Hitler was still sure the Reich was going to win the war.

TBF, it probably wouldn't change much. Even if the Ardennes Offensive forces were directed to the Eastern Front to defend against the Vistula-Oder Offensive, they probably wouldn't be able to stop the Red Army from taking the Upper Silesia industrial region (which the loss of would have catastrophic consequences for the German war effort).

79938-PanzerGeneral.jpg

JK

I looked up Panzer General, and boy does it get crazy according to Wikipedia...

All campaigns branch out and end either by the general being sacked for incompetence or end of the war. In Campaign Mode, a major victory could possibly change known historical events. For example, after a major victory over France, the player invades Britain. Later in the game, after a major victory in Barbarossa, the player can convince the German High Command to attack Moscow immediately (which costs him or her much prestige) rather than diverting to Kiev before Moscow.

If the player achieves a major victory both in Britain and in Moscow, he or she is allowed to carry out an invasion of the United States and reach Washington. In any other case, he/she must fight well in many battles to get another chance to attack them.

To do much better than that would require Hitler to allow his commanders to actually set up a good defense in depth starting no later than late November/early December of 1944. At that point in time Hitler was still sure the Reich was going to win the war.
By my count over a million German soldiers were captured, killed or seriously wounded in 1944-1945 because of Hitler’s obsession with not retreating. The Allies were fortunate to have someone like him in charge rather than Göring or Speer.

Last edited:
By my count over a million German soldiers were captured, killed or seriously wounded in 1944-1945 because of Hitler’s obsession with not retreating. The Allies were fortunate to have someone like him in charge rather than Göring or Speer.
TIK history argues what was their other option? They did not have the fuel to maneuver. One cannot retreat indefinitely either. It does seem that if they had better intelligence, simply retreating before massive attacks went off would have helped because the enemy's logistics is usually what stopped them, never really the Germans.

The idea that Stiener could save Berlin is ridiculous short of them somehow having magic bullets and the Red Army having the shooting skills of stormtroopers
Atom troopers hut everything but the staring cast . So they coukd shoot.. and even jf and yes I understand thr reference fully.. they had those skills so bad. It would still be a floormop

Even if by some ..uh..insane miracle they held the line for a month.. would someone answer what counter attack?

By a month I'm being crazy.. so if they help for 2 to 3 days .. again.. it's just smoke and mirrors and Noone is coming to save the day..

I've gamed out the western front results. Initially you don't notice much. The Allied transportation problems across France are still sorting out, the winter weather wiaves away the air power advantage for a while, the West Wall has only a few holes in it. As January spins out things become faster & simple attrition in the west cracks then collapses the defense. At this point I had to consider the 'Monty Factor'. Do the Allied leaders recognize the opportunity & push hard despite that they are not ready to deliver the planned Colossal Crack intended for March. Or take the Bradley option and rush any Remagen Bridges they capture. The methodical approach leads to the war ending a few weeks earlier in April. The latter depends on at least as good of weather as historical. Its possible with some aggressive air support to execute a Operation ECPLIPSE vs Berlin in March. Paras on the Templehof as Monty and Patton race towards Berlin from the Elbe bridgeheads.

This all assumes the German reserve alluded to remains in the east. OTL the 5thPz Army tried to move east to stop the Reds February-March. Allied attacks on the German transportation system fragmented the residue and it turned into a hundred scattered elements across Germany. Would the same occur to any corps rushed back west after Allies crash across the Rhine, or could they actually interfere?