WI: Catholic Church splits apart in the 16th Century

Based off an old thread I did a year ago, but didn't want to do thread necromancy, and also an updated religious map

What if, a string of Popes in Rome that are so corrupt, so incompetent, and does something so stupid (Like maybe making the Roman Papacy hereditary) that they shatter the view of the. Later when the Protestant Reformation happens, the Catholic world just shatters, with new churches are created, all competing with each other, and claiming Catholic dominion over each other. There is no effective Counter-Reformation, as all these Churches has a varied level of reforms or traditions.

(Note: Places like Spain and Portugal, ETC still maintains Catholic traditions, only difference is that they don't follow the Pope in Rome. Used @Sharklord1 map to make this. Made a new map from the old one. A bit ASB, but it's interesting to me. Also, I didn't add the Orthodox Church in the Balkans, because I don't have an accurate map of them during the 16th Century)
1615559302751.png

Portuguese Catholic Church- A Catholic Church created by the Portuguese Monarchy, who is the "Grand Master of the Portuguese Catholic Church" and ran by the Portuguese Inquisition. The Portuguese Catholic Church still largely use Catholic traditions and rites, but are greatly influenced by the Jesuits

Spanish Catholic Church
- Similar story to the Portuguese Catholic Church. The Spanish Monarchs are the heads of this Catholic Church, using the title of the "Most Catholic Monarchs". The Spanish Catholic Church is ran by the Spanish Inquisition, and like their Portuguese counterpart, still largely use Catholic traditions and rites, but are greatly influenced by the Jesuits

Irish Catholic Church
- A Catholic Church created by Irish Catholics dissatisfied with Rome, and lead by the "Patriarch of the Irish Catholic Church"

Church of England/Anglicans
- At first, followed the Pope in Rome, but like OTL, King Henry VII split from the Papacy, creating the Church of England, with the English Monarchs as head of the Church.

Roman Catholic Church- The rump-order of once the most influential religions in history, but after a string of incompetent, nepotistic, and corrupt Popes, and ineffective and downright insane religious policies, manage to lose all influence and respect from the Monarchs of Europe. However, they still have influence in parts of Italian City-States, Switzerland, and do have underground Roman Catholics all over Europe.

Polish-Lithuanian Church- Originally two separate Churches, the Polish Church and the Lithuanian Church. Although still maintain Catholic traditions and rites, they're greatly influenced by Lutherans*

French Catholic Church- Created by the French Monarchs, losing all faith with the Pope in Rome, but didn't want to become Huguenots. Instead, creating a separate Church that is headed by the French Monarchs (Sort of like England), and while keeping Catholic traditions and rites, but have some reformist ideas, and even some Huguenot ideas. They later confiscate the the Papal lands of Comtat Venaissin. However, France is torn between French Loyalists to the Monarchs, Hardcore Catholic Nobles who hates the French Monarchs decision, and still gets into conflicts with the Huguenots, who believes the Church is still to Catholic.

Huguenots- Larger influence in ITTL, stills gets into conflict with the French Papacy.

Hungarian Church- Split from the Catholic Church in Rome Has a mixture Lutheran and Catholic traditions. Lead by the "Patriarch of Hungary"

Calvinists- Follow the teachings of John Calvin, and spread all over Western Europe

Lutherans- Follow the teachings of Martin Luther and spread to Northern Europe and most of Central Europe.

Venetian Catholic Church- The Venetians split from the Roman Catholic Church, after the Papacy interfered in their affairs way to much. The Venetian Catholic Church is headed by the "Catholic Patriarch of Venice"

Hussites/Bohemian Church
- Hussites become resurgent in Bohemia again.

Orthodox- Same as OTL

Islam- Same as OTL

Catholic Church of the Low Countries- Formed by Catholics in the Low Countries, as they found themselves between other countries and their churches. Instead, they formed their own independent Church. However, is in conflict with Calvinists in the North, and the Spanish Catholic Church wanting to merge their church with theirs by force.

Mainz Papacy/ Holy Roman Catholic Church- After the corruption and dissatisfaction of the Pope in Rome, the Holy Roman Emperor elevates the Electorate of Mainz into a Papacy, with the Pope, still maintain their role to vote for the HRE Emperor, and crowns them. They are a mixture of Catholic and Lutheran traditions and rites.

Notes: don’t take this as an accurate map. This is merely a hypothetical

Last edited:
You can easily split the Church into two competing camps (each styling the other an antipope) in the sixteenth century--have the 1527 sack of Rome go a lot worse with Clement VII killed. With Rome under Hapsburg occupation, there is no way the subsequent election is going to be treated as legitimate by any country with a bone to pick with the Hapsburgs at that time--that is, much of Germany, France, England, large swathes of Italy. Conceivably, this schism would actually swallow up the Lutheran and Calvinist movements entirely as their adherents might back a regionally-popular claimant to the Petrine See rather than dismiss the institution entirely.

But fragmentation along national lines is not so plausible--even the Orthodox churches, though national, have generally at least pretended to be in communion with one another.

Any anti-popes in this timeline?
Originally, in my first thread about this, I had like a lot of anti-popes. But after thinking about, and discussing it, I decided to make most the churches more National and Anglican-style, where the monarch controls the church. The few exceptions would be:

1. Mainz Papacy/ Holy Roman Catholic Church- Ran by a Anti-pope in Mainz

And the other ones sort ran by a patriarch that act like a pope all but in name are:

Venetian Catholic Church- Headed by the "Catholic Patriarch of Venice"

Hungarian Church- Lead by the "Patriarch of Hungary"

Irish Catholic Church- Lead by the "Patriarch of the Irish Catholic Church"

Maybe I’ll rename them, but we’ll see