WI: Barry Obama

What if, instead of choosing to go by his full name, Barack, Obama chose to continue using the anglicized version of his name - Barry that he grew up with.

Would this impact his political career? Would people be more willing to support him? Would it assuage some of the (frankly racist) people who judged him based on his name?

Probably not, but I bet it would have some impact.

What if, instead of choosing to go by his full name, Barack, Obama chose to continue using the anglicized version of his name - Barry that he grew up with.

Would this impact his political career? Would people be more willing to support him? Would it assuage some of the (frankly racist) people who judged him based on his name?

Probably not, but I bet it would have some impact.

Obviously, he only calls himself "Barry" to try and hide the fact his real name "Barack" is PROOF of him being an Islamokenyan. So no, it probably wouldn't do much of anything. Maybe you wouldn't hear as much about "Barry Soetoro" or "Barry Soebarkah"

You would, however, hear a lot of jokes/comments about "bury Obama".

Edward IX

Banned
I'm thinking nothing changes. He was Barry at Harvard. I mean true we have had a lot of George and James but we had a Woodrow, which was what he went buy.

The fact his dad was from Kenya and yes the fact that "some black guy got elected" fed into the racist notion that he was some how not from here. The birthers are a weird group.

Alternatively it could be used as leverage to enforce the fact that he is an American. It really comes down to who is the loudest and what spin are they trying to do with it. He could just use Barack early on formally assuming he still goes for the '08 election. After being elected he has Barry used more and more in more formal situations.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
As far as becoming famous . . .

a name which is different hurts you at the beginning, but then starts to help you.

So, some kind of threshold effect?

I'm going to leave this story here and make of it what you will

I worked with an American lady (remotely we were in different countries but worked on many projects together) for some years until about a year or so ago - who in my opinion was/is very smart

Now towards the end of POTUS Bush's (Junior) time in office I made a tongue in cheek disparaging remark (I mean he was an easy target) about him - and this lady got a bit upset with me - apparently insulting Bush was an insult to his office and the US People who voted him into office - and regardless of opinion etc I should not insult him that way because of those reasons. Democracy and all that.

Then towards the end of 'Barry's' 2nd term I having taken in the 2 options then available to the American People jokingly suggested that perhaps Obama should be given a 3rd term - her response - "Nah we need to Obummer gone" - she didn't like me reminding her of her previous comments around respecting a democratically elected president 8 years previously......

SsgtC

Banned
she didn't like me reminding her of her previous comments around respecting a democratically elected president 8 years previously......
Yeah, people hate when you do that! Lol. I agree with her stance on the President though. Whether you agree with him or not, he still deserves the respect his office commands. I look at it as, I'm not necessarily respecting the individual man, I'm respecting the office here holds.