WI: All Countries of the Indian Subcontinent are all Upper Middle Income Nations

Scenario

TheCrucible

Banned
So in this case the POD is 1989 where all the countries of the Indian Subcontinent experience some changes which allows for them to experience highers amounts of growth and results in them gaining wealth. As a result by 2019 all of the countries are upper middle income nations with their following GDP per capita (nominal) as such:

Pakistan -$6,000

Bangladesh -$7,000

Maldives - $8,000

India - $9,000

Nepal - $10,000

Bhutan - $11,000

Sri Lanka - $12,000

Assuming everyone else has the same GDP per capita as our timeline what effects does this have in general by the year 2019? How different would our world be?

TheCrucible

Banned
I know that this looks bad I'm considering what would happen here. Basically then India would be a great power and Pakistan and Bangladesh would be regional powers. But what about Sri Lanka or Nepal?

I know that this looks bad I'm considering what would happen here. Basically then India would be a great power and Pakistan and Bangladesh would be regional powers. But what about Sri Lanka or Nepal?

Dude, you are asking for a strong of goddamn miracles.

You’d need to go further back and divide the subcontinent into different ways and maybe that’ll net you what you want. That and strong progressive leadership to reform the economy and get rid of the reactionary aspects.

TheCrucible

Banned
Dude, you are asking for a strong of goddamn miracles.

You’d need to go further back and divide the subcontinent into different ways and maybe that’ll net you what you want. That and strong progressive leadership to reform the economy and get rid of the reactionary aspects.

Just answer it. That's the purpose kg this thread.

manav95

Banned
The countries all make peace with each other and enter a South Asian free trade agreement. This allows them to redirect excess military spending into development and infrastructure, boosting living standards in the country. Also, China collapses into civil war in the 1990s between democratic forces and hardline Communists, causing it to collapse economically and drive outsourcing of manufacturing to South Asia.

Khanzeer

Banned
What kind of birth control is being used
What is the water situation
How is corruption being handled

India with a GDP per capita of 9000 means it's GDP is above 10 trillion dollars(?). It would be less than that of China but greater than Japan, and would become the third largest economy. All the minor SAARC nations become prosperous and there is no poverty or food shortage. Which means developmental works will go on without any problems. Nepal, which has a total debt of 9 bil USD will now be able to pay off almost all of it's debt with it's 300 billion dollar GDP. Basically, the Indian subcontinent would be one of the most prosperous areas in the world.