WI: Alcohol not prohibited in Islam?

The prohibition of alcohol in Islam was very significant in the spread of the religion, and influenced the culture of the peoples who converted to it. Despite this, there were several times when this law was blatantly violated, the feast where most of the Ummayads were killed contained large amounts of it, and Persia developed a thriving viticulture industry. Still, the fact remained, and I would like to ask, what if alcohol was permitted generally. While it is still prohibited during times like prayer or reciting Quran, in a mundane setting it is not strictly prohibited, although somewhat discouraged and seen as undesirable? How would this affect the development and trajectory of early Islam? What are the social, economic, and political changes? Could we see more conversions among peoples who didn't IOTL, such as the Vikings? I await your thoughts.

assuming this doesn't somehow butterfly the Kievan Rus, doesn't this make Vladimir the great more likely to choose Islam over Christianity since the joy of the Russian isn't forbidden? Not saying it would happen since they do still enjoy trade with the ERE but it's a nonzero possibility

I don't know about Vikings and this is a very simplistic interpretation, but we will probably see an even more widespread conversion overall. The fewer restrictions a religion places on its followers, the easier it is to get converts. Christianity, although it is a branch of Judaism, eliminated dietary requirements and circumcision.

Judaism, Christianity and Islam all share the same "book:" the Jewish Old Testament. This series of monotheistic religions sees a new prophet every 600 years. Jewish (kosher) and Islamic (halal) dietary laws prohibit eating pork or shellfish because of the risks of contracting humans dying of red tide or trichina worms.

Well, considering the British and French influence in the Middle East, the center of Islam, they would likely gravitate towards British/French made alcoholic beverages as we head toward modern-day.

Judaism, Christianity and Islam all share the same "book:" the Jewish Old Testament. This series of monotheistic religions sees a new prophet every 600 years. Jewish (kosher) and Islamic (halal) dietary laws prohibit eating pork or shellfish because of the risks of contracting humans dying of red tide or trichina worms.
sees a new prophet every 600? eh putting myself on a "non bias" view the old testament mentions multiple prophecies per century the 7th alone had multiple prophets

Well, considering the British and French influence in the Middle East, the center of Islam, they would likely gravitate towards British/French made alcoholic beverages as we head toward modern-day.
Ehhhhh I doubt it. If the Middle East had their own alcohol-making traditions after Islam, then it's fair to say that beers, wines, and liquors would already be well acquainted by most Muslims and they'd prefer their own products over foreign imports, especially if they are used to promote nationalist ideals against Western imperialism.

The fewer restrictions a religion places on its followers, the easier it is to get converts. Christianity, although it is a branch of Judaism, eliminated dietary requirements and circumcision.
How did Islam compare to the Christianity of the time concerning restrictiveness?

Why exactly was alcohol prohibited? May help provide reasons to handwave or butterfly it.
I think drunk and incapable or drunk and disorderly was prohibited from the start of Islam, then when they conquered Christian lands the monasteries had wine for communion and sold their extra. So Muslim money was flowing to Christians, and they ended up prohibiting all booze. If Caliphs in the first jihad, before Muslim Prohibition, had seized the monasteries and taken over the wine trade (enemy strongholds, cash cows) we might see Eastern Orthodox going 'just grape juice' like 1910 Presbyterians. Islamic France and Russia?

Why exactly was alcohol prohibited? May help provide reasons to handwave or butterfly it.
For the same reason gambling was. To improve discipline of soldiers.

But unlike ban of pork, ban of alcohol was/is ignored frequently in Islamic world, especially among non-Arab Muslims. Tatars emptying captured wine cellars during their raids wasn't uncommon sight.

Not sure if it is prohibited as such. As far as I can make out it's alcohol made from grapes and grain.
Cider, mead and vodka are fine, yet nothing is written down to say it is alright, or again says it isn't.
Of course I may well be wrong.

But unlike ban of pork, ban of alcohol was/is ignored frequently in Islamic world, especially among non-Arab Muslims. Tatars emptying captured wine cellars during their raids wasn't uncommon sight.
No. Not for soldier in Al-Qur'an alcohol probihated because it not healty. It same with eating pig & dog because pig & dog have worm (parasite) in their body. But exception can be make, alcohol for medicine & you can eat pig or dog if you don't have source of meet other than that.

Not sure if it is prohibited as such. As far as I can make out it's alcohol made from grapes and grain.
Cider, mead and vodka are fine, yet nothing is written down to say it is alright, or again says it isn't.
Of course I may well be wrong.
I thought it was only the Zahiri school and a few others that thought that. Most others prohibit all forms of alcohol whatsoever.

No, alcohol was banned because of it’s intoxicating effect and it‘s ability to alter the state of one‘s mind in a negative way.

I think drunk and incapable or drunk and disorderly was prohibited from the start of Islam, then when they conquered Christian lands the monasteries had wine for communion and sold their extra. So Muslim money was flowing to Christians, and they ended up prohibiting all booze. If Caliphs in the first jihad, before Muslim Prohibition, had seized the monasteries and taken over the wine trade (enemy strongholds, cash cows) we might see Eastern Orthodox going 'just grape juice' like 1910 Presbyterians. Islamic France and Russia?
I think it was completely prohibited in the 4th year after the Hijrah, but there were prohibitions against certain usages such as during prayer before.

I thought it was only the Zahiri school and a few others that thought that. Most others prohibit all forms of alcohol whatsoever.
Nah In muhammadiyah teaching alcohol is haram but exception can be make for medical purpose. It same with pig & dog meat you can eat it if no source food near your locatotion. Example : if you got stranded in unhibated island and you search food in that island and find just pig nearby and you already feel hunger than you can eat that pig.