WI/AHC: Barack Obama diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome

In OTL, Asperger's Syndrome is now classified as part of autism spectrum disorder, but was once a separate condition.

But here's a WI for the POD of August 2009: ITTL, Barack Obama is diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, 6 months after the February 2009 announcement to a joint session in Congress planning for healthcare reform.

What would the media be like about his diagnosis, and how would society change in relation to autism in the U.S. and would we see changes to the Affordable Care Act for disabled Americans as well as those with autism spectrum disorder?

Would it be a media circus a la OJ Simpson, with headlines like "THE FIRST AUTISTIC PRESIDENT" etc. or would it become controversial?

The POD would be August 14, 2009, just after the town hall meeting in Belgrade, Montana about healthcare reforms, to give a starting point.

I thought I'd do something different for a WI question on politics, especially given the topic's contentious nature (if you believe Wikipedia), but this is alternate history, not arguing about medical or getting too political.

This is an AHC and a WI in one discussion.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
. . . headlines like "THE FIRST AUTISTIC PRESIDENT" etc. or would it become controversial?

The POD would be August 14, 2009, just after the town hall meeting in Belgrade, Montana about healthcare reforms, . . .
He wouldn’t be the first!

There’s a pretty good case that Thomas Jefferson was “spectrum.” At least as much as we can be confident in trying to make a diagnosis across 200+ years.

And honest to gosh, I really think a case can be made that Nixon, Carter, and Reagan were either on the spectrum or close [My own personal view]. All three were loners who marched to their own drummer. The Reagans had a very close marriage, and the Carters still do!

Reagan’s the plum that I really want.

Later Edit: Ronald Reagan seemed to have such a close relationship with his wife Nancy that he didn’t need anyone else.

Last edited:

There’s a pretty good case that Thomas Jefferson was “spectrum.” At least as much as we can be confident in trying to make a diagnosis across 200+ years.

And honest to gosh, I really think a case can be made that Nixon, Carter, and Reagan were either on the spectrum or close [My own personal view]. All three were loners who marched to their own drummer. The Reagans had a very close marriage, and the Carters still do!

Beat me to it, at least for Jefferson. I could maaaybe see Nixon but struggle with Carter or Reagan, and after reading both Obamas’ memoirs, BHO being on the spectrum is an outside possibility but I don’t know if I see it. Obama is certainly an introvert and not too skilled at managing people, but that’s not enough to declare someone on the spectrum (source: my son is in the spectrum so I have been through the diagnostic process with him.)

That said, if he were diagnosed with ASD (and in 2009, that is the diagnosis he would have received, assuming there is no perceived language development) then it brings out a LOT more awareness for autism/Asperger’s. A lot more people will get tested for it and be diagnosed, although that will inevitably come with loss of shitweeds who “self-diagnose” based on being slightly socially awkward or having a niche area of expertise. It would also open up Obama and his supporters to a slew of ableist slurs, and that would be both infuriating and dig us into current politics, so let’s cut it there.

Personally for me, it would give my son (and myself - I would have been more likely to seek treatment and be diagnosed with Asperger’s, which I’m about 99% sure I have - fuck you parents for missing it for 18 years when it fucking screamed at you) another person to admire. And one who didn’t fuck his slaves or have to resign from office.

Fair enough; I only went with 2009 as the POD since it was in the era when Internet culture and social media were starting to take off and there was more awareness of autism than in Nixon, Carter and Reagan's era.

In addition to the diagnosis, is Obama's public behaviour(speech, mannerisms etc) different from OTL?
In some ways, yes; he uses a lot more technical jargon and is fanboi-ish towards certain things, plus uses the term "boi" a lot. He's also hypervigilant as well, which I'm not sure he was in OTL; and ITTL, no Malia or Sasha, although he is married to Michelle.

Michelle is a little bit different from OTL, having a background in personal finance, not law, and was a public figure anyway from news appearances, talking about personal finance issues.

dcharles

Banned
Why on earth would this be public news? I don't imagine that the public would be informed of a health condition like this. You know, if the President was depressed, or had hemorrhoids, or IBS, or a club foot, that's not necessarily going to be something that we're going to know about. If he was diagnosed, I imagine it would remain between him and his doctors.

Why on earth would this be public news? I don't imagine that the public would be informed of a health condition like this. You know, if the President was depressed, or had hemorrhoids, or IBS, or a club foot, that's not necessarily going to be something that we're going to know about. If he was diagnosed, I imagine it would remain between him and his doctors.
I hadn't thought of it from that angle...my mistake.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
In today's 24 hours news/Internet/Social media era?

With an entire media conglomerate that was dedicated to finding something, anything, to use against him (remember Suitgate? https://www.insideedition.com/8837-suitgate-obamas-tan-suit-controversy)? It would leak, it would wind up the lead story for months, if not years, on Fox, in the NY Post, and on blogs from coast-to-coast and all ships at sea.

Are you suggesting that being in a healthy marriage is a sign of Asperger's? I'm sorry, but I just don't follow. I also don't see how you can possibly think Reagan had Asperger's.

dcharles

Banned
In today's 24 hours news/Internet/Social media era?

With an entire media conglomerate that was dedicated to finding something, anything, to use against him (remember Suitgate? https://www.insideedition.com/8837-suitgate-obamas-tan-suit-controversy)? It would leak, it would wind up the lead story for months, if not years, on Fox, in the NY Post, and on blogs from coast-to-coast and all ships at sea.

I seriously doubt it. I'm sure many recent presidents have had embarrassing, non-life threatening medical conditions that we don't know about.

And leaking POTUS' medical records?!? You'd never work in medicine again. And you might wind up in jail.

And why would Obama--the highest of high achievers--even be in a position where he would be diagnosed with such a thing? An adult usually doesn't get tested for random things like that unless it's interfering with them leading a happy, functional life. Obama seems pretty happy and functional to me.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
. . . Personally for me, it would give my son (and myself - I would have been more likely to seek treatment and be diagnosed with Asperger’s, which I’m about 99% sure I have - fuck you parents for missing it for 18 years when it fucking screamed at you) another person to admire. . .
I’m 58-years-old and am reasonably sure I’m on the spectrum, or about as close as you can be without actually being on it! :)

My Mom almost certainly is spectrum. My Dad is kind of the anti-Aspie who was a big bully to the entire family when he was younger, although now he’s legitimately a somewhat better man.

The “book” on autism spectrum and relationships is that females end up in a relationship with some abusive asshole and males end up lonely and all alone. This is probably the most common, although less than 50%. Happily, many exceptions, and skills can be learned, and from many different life areas at that.

Last edited:

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
I seriously doubt it. I'm sure many recent presidents have had embarrassing, non-life threatening medical conditions that we don't know about.

And leaking POTUS' medical records?!? You'd never work in medicine again. And you might wind up in jail.

And why would Obama--the highest of high achievers--even be in a position where he would be diagnosed with such a thing? An adult usually doesn't get tested for random things like that unless it's interfering with them leading a happy, functional life. Obama seems pretty happy and functional to me.
35 years ago Carter's hemorrhoids were front page news. That was when the media was still in the hands of professionals.

Presidential health is fair game. Arguably it is even in the public interest to know about medical conditions that might impact Presidential performance.

dcharles

Banned
35 years ago Carter's hemorrhoids were front page news. That was when the media was still in the hands of professionals.

Presidential health is fair game. Arguably it is even in the public interest to know about medical conditions that might impact Presidential performance.

I'd say there's probably way more we don't know about than what we do know about, but eh.

Agree to disagree.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
. . . would we see changes to the Affordable Care Act for disabled Americans as well as those with autism spectrum disorder? . . .
For depression or anxiety — which 25% of people will experience sometime during their life to the point where they’d potentially benefit from medication — I want people to realize they have a choice. You can visit a psychiatrist. Or you can visit a quote “regular” doctor such as an internist or family practitioner.

And with an anti-depressant like Zoloft or Wellbutrin, it’s trial-and-error in a respectful sense anyway and can 4 to 8 weeks even for one which is going to work. And so, if the psychiatrist thinks they’re a “genius,” that plays to weakness, not strength. And, steady as it goes, just try to allow yourself to absorb the waves of good feelings, bad feelings, unexpected feelings, whatever, in zen-like fashion till you find something which works. The other thing, it’s much better to phase down the medication than quit cold turkey. This is true for many medications, but so particularly for anti-depressants!

And far as choosing a person to receive counseling sessions from, there’s the MD psychiatrist person or a PhD psychologist person, as well as a person with a two- or three-year Master’s degree in a field of psychology.

And much more informally, a person might ask “Can I run a problem past you” of a marital arts instructor, an exercise coach, a life coach, a shiatsu practitioner, a Pagan shaman person, a Baptist minister (at least you know where they’re coming from!), a speech therapist, a speech coach, an organizational coach, or even a hair stylist or bartender with some life experience and a little snap!

* no, I’m not a great fan of mental health professionals, but I’m trying to be neutral

Meaning, a lot of people can listen at a solid B level (not necessarily the off-putting, high-energy A level). As well as give good general advice without over-investing in their own advice.

Last edited:

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
Are you suggesting that being in a healthy marriage is a sign of Asperger's? I'm sorry, but I just don't follow. I also don't see how you can possibly think Reagan had Asperger's.
I’m saying being in a super close relationship where you don’t need anyone else, Maybe.

23525404._UY475_SS475_.jpg

This Reagan insider is saying Reagan didn’t have any (close) friends, which is just a stunning statement. And even Nancy could only get so close to him. Reed also says Reagan add a huge mind.

See esp. his C-Span interview about his book.

Reed’s saying Reagan was a child of an alcoholic. I’m saying, it may not have been so simple.

Last edited:
For Obama to be diagnosed with Asperger's it would instead of weakening him likely make him stronger. I am no fan of his however Asperger's is a fairly common trait and numerous adults and children function fairly well in public in spite of any perceived weakness. I myself am likely Asperger's especially when you look at my family and note that the male line of the family including uncles and cousins on the male side have similar traits that have resulted in 3 of my 4 boys diagnosed as Asperger's. CALBEAR makes an important point and that is that the media has always figured Presidential Health is public interest no matter how damaging such revelations are.
For me in my opinion apart from the people actually treating a person all other medical people should reserve judgement. for the last 50 plus years media people have been making claims about the President's (I mean the current President at the time) mental faculties or medical history and I think such speculation is more damaging to national interest than the behaviours they highlight. For experts to comment is very unprofessional.
Like or dislike President Obama it is hard to avoid pointing out that his charismatic style that is very much at odds with any Asperger's diagnosis. I would say however it may remove some of the remaining stigma of a mental health diagnosis.

That's a fair point; without getting too into current politics, Presidential health is in the public interest.

That's a fair point; without getting too into current politics, Presidential health is in the public interest.
health is in the public interest but undiagnosed opinion's are decidedly against the National Interest. I should point out I it is against the American National interest(this is an Aussies view anyway) to speculate as to Presidential Health. I would opine that if Obama or any other leader has an illness that could imply weakness and render terrorists more likely to commit acts of terror it is concerning. I should point out also that it is usually illegal to diagnose a patient that is not yours and much of the talking heads discussions have been dangerous.