WI: Admiral Yi dies before or during Japan's invasion?

I definitely want to see a Japanese pull off an Alexander the Great-style campaign and begin a kind of Age of Exploration Diadochi period, as I've expressed before. Imagine the Japanese aligning with the Jurchens and kicking off the Fall of the Ming a few decades early, causing China to see warlordism and a new regionalism, with competition getting them to rise to the challenge of Europe.
The only issue is from what I've watched the Japanese were so arrogant and glory seeking that I don't see them allying with the Jurchen. Like they were already straight up raiding the Jurchen OTL and I don't even know why they'll start antagonizing another enemy out of the blue.

They would need serious change in army principles.

The only issue is from what I've watched the Japanese were so arrogant and glory seeking that I don't see them allying with the Jurchen. Like they were already straight up raiding the Jurchen OTL and I don't even know why they'll start antagonizing another enemy out of the blue.

They would need serious change in army principles.
Fair. I still really want an Eastern Diadochi TL.

Righteous Armies aren't armies, they're rebellious peasants.
But they also aren't just rebellious peasants.

Joseon had a way of organizing their state that one could call pretty much modern with everybody having an analogue to a personal passport and organized in a way that everyone knew what captain to organize around.

So these were soldiers lead, organized and trained peasants.

If Japan has trouble keeping Korea like the Jurchen that they antagonized coming south, it looks like something in the favour of the rebels.

Now that I think about it, the Japanese had made contacts with the Spanish and Portuguese.

Why didn't they met up with them to help them take care of Yi given how much problem they were having with that?.

Now that I think about it, the Japanese had made contacts with the Spanish and Portuguese.

Why didn't they met up with them to help them take care of Yi given how much problem they were having with that?.
Probably they were dealing with half of Christendom schisming from the Pope, the Dutch being a pain in the ass, and the Turks marching on Vienna. Not much help could come from them.

Probably they were dealing with half of Christendom schisming from the Pope, the Dutch being a pain in the ass, and the Turks marching on Vienna. Not much help could come from them.
I still think even a ship or two from the Iberians or Dutch could have been asked for, especially since the Dutch apparently fought on the Japanese side against that famous Christian revolt in Southern Kyuushu

I still think even a ship or two from the Iberians or Dutch could have been asked for, especially since the Dutch apparently fought on the Japanese side against that famous Christian revolt in Southern Kyuushu
Hm. It all depends on politics in Europe. Philip II died in 1598, IIRC, and his death was essentially the beginning of the end for Spanish supremacy.

Then again, a timeline where Europe isn't in a war at this time and/or the Dutch discover the region earlier and the Japanese snub European support with the Europeans then fighting for Korea in exchange for interance into their markets.

Don't see them changing much in Korea except getting earlier more extensive trade but if this is either Portugal or Spain getting access, I could see them still being expelled after sometime as Portugal was in Ethiopia.

Then again, a timeline where Europe isn't in a war at this time and/or the Dutch discover the region earlier and the Japanese snub European support with the Europeans then fighting for Korea in exchange for interance into their markets.

Don't see them changing much in Korea except getting earlier more extensive trade but if this is either Portugal or Spain getting access, I could see them still being expelled after sometime as Portugal was in Ethiopia.
Hmm. Part of me wants to see the Spaniards form an alliance with a Japanese state instead of Catholicism getting completely expelled. Like, maybe the Shinto-Buddhists debating Catholicism with Indian philosophical stuff they import straight from India.

Yi's death doesn't erase the righteous armies that were making hell for Japanese land logistics on Korea to begin with, meaning Japan can't really use the advantage of "safe" sea passages as they would be unable to supply a bigger army anyways.
Indeed, Yi's, and thus the Joseon navy's, absence does make the Ming army's logistics more difficult to sort out. Harder to resupply by sea, after all, in this case.

There's this video I watched sometimes ago that went something like this. The Japanese most impressive advantage by far was their speed.

While as people have pointed out here, even without guns outnumbered Ming Army was defeating the Japanese, Korean righteous armies were causing hell and sabotaging the Japanese along with the Chinese, If the Yi dies before the Japanese invasion, then the Japanese can definitely make take Korea in less than a year and make it to Beijing(supplied along the way by a Navy in the Yellow Sea) from Northern Korea in less than 3 months, probably even less than a month.

It took the Ming 3 months to organize an army to deal with pirates in the South and deal with the Japanese in Korea, so the Japanese would be able to make it to Beijing while they are busy trying to organize an army in the country side.

It would be interesting to see a timeline where the Japanese basically kill the Ming Emperor or at least torch Beijing.

Whether they'll be able to take the eventual Chinese retaliation or Korean righteous army uprisings is a different thing I don't know enough to comment about.
The main thing to remember here is that the Japanese had speed, sure, but they focused on rushing through the peninsula than actually establishing control. They captured the capitol before securing the southwestern province and never fully brought the hills and mountains under control. Overextended as they were already, marching on the Ming without securing all of Korea would've been inviting disaster. Admiral Yi's greatest victories happened after the Ming intervention began, so it's not like his absence means the Japanese take all of Korea and secure it before the Ming enter.

Mind, the Japanese navy was not very suited for naval combat (some of the reasons Yi did so well were knowledge of the tides along Korea's coastline and having bigger ships with more artillery than the Japanese, who had more ramming style ships than artillery focused ships). It's unlikely the Japanese navy will overpower the Ming navy to the point resupplying is easy. Not to mention the fact that the Jurchen under Nurhaci offered to assist the Ming (in return for more recognition, IIRC), it's doubtful the Japanese can make it to Beijing in short order.

I definitely want to see a Japanese pull off an Alexander the Great-style campaign and begin a kind of Age of Exploration Diadochi period, as I've expressed before. Imagine the Japanese aligning with the Jurchens and kicking off the Fall of the Ming a few decades early, causing China to see warlordism and a new regionalism, with competition getting them to rise to the challenge of Europe.
We've had this discussion before, and you'd need vastly different leadership than Hideyoshi and Nurhaci to be able to accommodate such a situation. The Japanese as they were in the Imjin War would not have been able to hold Korea for an extended period of time, between Japan's own instability (Sekigahara and Osaka happening within 20 years of the Imjin War) and the Korean populace being up in arms against the Japanese. The moment the Japanese begin infighting again, Korea will be lost to them.

As for regionalism and warlordism, India's example make it apparent that that's not the key ingredient for resisting European encroachment or competing with Europe itself.

I mean, they'll be pretty safe supplying contingents on the coast.

If the Japanese can get local collaborators like the Jurchen did or begin recruiting in natives like the Mongols did then they might stand a chance against Ming's numbers. However, I still don't see them winning.

Ming won't last forever but China will. I see no reason Qing won't require the historic Vassal of Korea nor why the Koreans won't happily invite in their aid.

Naval Japanese seems like an interesting timeline but... why should Qing not collab with Korean rebels to get Korea back and maybe even make it a territory

You know, what do you think would happen with the Daimyos and generals in Korea and China, would they turn over to the Tokugawa or rebel in favour of the Previous dynasty.

Yeah, with China nar their Capital threatened they could prepare more and better but the Japanese advanced so fast in Korea that I could see them similarly advancing to fast in China that while some general is busy organizing troops for Korea in the country side, the Japanese are already besieging Beijing.

This can be resolved by a naval supply line.
The Japanese didn't operate like the Jurchen did is the main thing, and they didn't need to. The Jurchen didn't have the numbers to contest the Ming and they had long term relationships prior to hostilities with the leadership in the Northeast that could be leveraged to turn them. They had to make concessions or get buried under the numbers. The Japanese weren't willing to make concessions (as evidenced by negotiations with the Ming and massacring the Korean peasantry), had a massive army that wouldn't require turncoats, and they'd need long standing relationships/existing collaborators for Ming leadership and troops to actually trust the Japanese to not backstab them when defecting.

As for the supply issue, best comparison is the US in Afghanistan, I think. Sure, the US had control of the seas and the skies and could resupply in key locations. They still got bled out in the central regions and it was too expensive to maintain a presence. Korea, after the war, was devastated and would've been a liability at best, an open sore at worst for the Japanese.

if what you are talking about happens
1-tokugawa will not be able to go into isolation
2-this vengeful ming will collapse before doing any revenge.
3- Korea is decimated (I guess at least half of the population will die if not more)
4- the jurchen take china more easily

Righteous Armies aren't armies, they're rebellious peasants. I don't see serious problems for the Japanese armies in this regard.Adding this to the famine that will occur in korea.
Who will win in this fight between japan, ming and jurchen I don't know. But the Ming dynasty is dead. Tokugawa may not be able to retreat from Korea without looking weak. So in theory after the unification of the new shogunate, japan will take part of korea
1. The Tokugawa would want isolationism just to shut out the Christian powers and prevent the southern daimyos from eclipsing them via the wealth of trade. With or without Korea, they can forbid trade with Portugal and Spain.

2. The Ming required decades more mismanagement, natural disasters like floods and famine, horrific military defeats at the hands of the Jurchen/Manchu, and several massive rebellions to finally collapse. Japan on their doorstep isn't at the same level as all those combined.

3. And if Korea is decimated, what food do the Japanese have to feed their own troops? Sure, they can ship some over, but can they feed hundreds of thousands of active soldiers? If the peasantry is up in arms, they aren't farming and the Japanese still need to fight to secure their holdings. Otherwise, what was the point of fighting? Taking some empty plots of land that can't be cultivated because they'll just get raided or burnt? The Japanese military prowess was impressive, yes, but there's no point to the invasion if the land they take is barren.

4. Or a new, more energetic rebel dynasty rises up and replaces the Ming and shut out the Jurchen before they have a chance to unify. The Manchu had a series of very specific events that allowed them to conquer China, it wasn't apparent they'd be able to do it until decades after the Imjin War.

As for the Righteous Armies, they were the actual army after 1593. They don't need to win against the Japanese on the field, though they did in the Battle of Haengju, for example. They just need to bleed them out. And they weren't just peasants; yangban civil officials and generals lacking troops led the Righteous Armies in battle. The peasants in turn weren't strangers to conflict; generations of fighting seaborne raiders (wokou) meant the peasants had some experience with fighting. And the Ming and Jurchen have a vested interest in seeing the Japanese fail. The US in Vietnam parallel is a bit tired, but it's along the same lines, frankly.

Also worth noting, Council of Elders right after Hideyoshi's death did indeed retreat from Korea. In the event of an alt Battle of Sekigahara, the Toyotomi aligned daimyo will be the ones with the most gains from the war, so Tokugawa Ieyasu will not have much reason himself to retain Korean holdings, which will be burnt, restless, and an overall expense to Japan.
Hmm. Part of me wants to see the Spaniards form an alliance with a Japanese state instead of Catholicism getting completely expelled. Like, maybe the Shinto-Buddhists debating Catholicism with Indian philosophical stuff they import straight from India.
Same issue with the Japanese trying to make an alliance with the Jurchen. The Spanish are convinced of their own supremacy and are far too aggressive (the Spanish invasion of Cambodia, for example). And then there's the issue of which Japanese state they back, since all the other daimyo are going to be nervous about Oda Nobunaga part 2 (again, part of why the Tokugawa shut out Christianity in the first place).

But they also aren't just rebellious peasants.
yes they were, they were more organized and their effectiveness was in sabotaging rather than fighting. At some point they will run out of supplies of their own.
Joseon had a way of organizing their state that one could call pretty much modern with everybody having an analogue to a personal passport and organized in a way that everyone knew what captain to organize around.
yes korea has an amazing country organization for the period
So these were soldiers lead, organized and trained peasants.
If Japan has trouble keeping Korea like the Jurchen that they antagonized coming south, it looks like something in the favour of the rebels.
or the jurchen invade korea too and the koreans are in a sandwich between ming, japan and jurchen. with the war lasting longer and being even more violent it is possible that korea as a nation will end.

It's unlikely the Japanese navy will overpower the Ming navy to the point resupplying is easy.
I didn't even know the Ming had an effective Navy at the ready in that region. Anyways, if it's anything like their southern one, it still took them 3 months to respond to pirates, so I will still bet on the Japanese navy still being able to resupply their army for 3 weeks.
As for the supply issue, best comparison is the US in Afghanistan, I think. Sure, the US had control of the seas and the skies and could resupply in key locations. They still got bled out in the central regions and it was too expensive to maintain a presence. Korea, after the war, was devastated and would've been a liability at best, an open sore at worst for the Japanese.
Another comparison that can be made is Vietnam and while the USA did commit war crimes in both areas, they didn't go the extra extremely Brutal and Semi-genocidal extent that Ancient and Medieval armies could.

An extremely Brutal Japanese occupation can take care of the rebels by just Frankly killing off so much of the Population outside well controlled fertile plains (that would be used to grow food). If there's no one in the in the country side, there are no rebels and while that probably won't be achieved completely, it has been achieved before in medieval times.

1. The Tokugawa would want isolationism just to shut out the Christian powers and prevent the southern daimyos from eclipsing them via the wealth of trade. With or without Korea, they can forbid trade with Portugal and Spain.
With a large sealane and islands for a Japan that occupied southern Korea, how effective can this even be?.

Can't the southern Daimyos still get power from Piracy?.

Last edited:
Part of me wants to see the Spaniards form an alliance with a Japanese state instead of Catholicism getting completely expelled. Like, maybe the Shinto-Buddhists debating Catholicism with Indian philosophical stuff they import straight from India
Same issue with the Japanese trying to make an alliance with the Jurchen. The Spanish are convinced of their own supremacy and are far too aggressive (the Spanish invasion of Cambodia, for example). And then there's the issue of which Japanese state they back, since all the other daimyo are going to be nervous about Oda Nobunaga part 2 (again, part of why the Tokugawa shut out Christianity in the first place).
The Spanish in the Phillipines did propose several plans to conquer China, specifically starting from the South.

The most glorious of these was an army of like 35,000 in total with the Bulk of that as Japanese and Native allies.

So I would say that Spanish pride isn't an issue in cooperation.

The failed Cambodian affair was also one with a very small crew, I think just 75.

A separate Spanish invasion from the South, each serving as distraction for the other and hoping to get as much of China as possible for themselves, seems pretty doable.

The Spanish and Portuguese did have an annoying streak with almost everyone where they went hating them. China, Japan, Cambodia, Korea, Vietnam, Ethiopia, Mutapa(Zimbabwe) and probably others expelled them. They weren't liked in Goa either and antagonized many of the more powerful Phillipines groups like the Chinese and Muslims in Manilla.

With all these in mind, I see it likely that they are still expelled or highly restricted but maybe be able to get through into China for long enough to spread their religion, maybe if Ming collapses and a new dynasty emerges it would be Christian Influenced like how the white lotus was certainly manichean Influenced.

Last edited:
We've had this discussion before, and you'd need vastly different leadership than Hideyoshi and Nurhaci to be able to accommodate such a situation. The Japanese as they were in the Imjin War would not have been able to hold Korea for an extended period of time, between Japan's own instability (Sekigahara and Osaka happening within 20 years of the Imjin War) and the Korean populace being up in arms against the Japanese. The moment the Japanese begin infighting again, Korea will be lost to them.
Maybe oda nobunaga? he can be many things but stupid is not one of them
no USA left because of the fact that it is a democracy and the American population after viatnam doesn't have the stomach for a war in a country they don't find on the map for a reason they don't understand.
yes tokugawa will want to isolate himself, but will he be able to? what caused the isolation was the loss of the war by Hide. if he takes power and orders a withdrawal from Korea, however sensible it is, it will be seen as a stain on the nation's honor and a pathetic start to the dynasty. I don't doubt that jokes will be created like the dynasty of cowards.
2. The Ming required decades more mismanagement, natural disasters like floods and famine, horrific military defeats at the hands of the Jurchen/Manchu, and several massive rebellions to finally collapse. Japan on their doorstep isn't at the same level as all those combined.
yes, but japan will be part of this disaster. It will be seen as the loss of the heavenly mandate. Disasters will still happen. But ming will be slower to respond to them than in otl.
Losses to the jurchen are likely to happen yet. Considering that all the factors still exist
3. And if Korea is decimated, what food do the Japanese have to feed their own troops? Sure, they can ship some over, but can they feed hundreds of thousands of active soldiers? If the peasantry is up in arms, they aren't farming and the Japanese still need to fight to secure their holdings. Otherwise, what was the point of fighting? Taking some empty plots of land that can't be cultivated because they'll just get raided or burnt? The Japanese military prowess was impressive, yes, but there's no point to the invasion if the land they take is barren.
I think this is what is most likely to happen with not only part of the Japanese force, but also the Chinese, dying of hunger. With the korean peasants dying en masse due to the little cultivated being taken over by the various armies
4. Or a new, more energetic rebel dynasty rises up and replaces the Ming and shut out the Jurchen before they have a chance to unify. The Manchu had a series of very specific events that allowed them to conquer China, it wasn't apparent they'd be able to do it until decades after the Imjin War.
we can also have a china divided into 2 nations one in the south chinese and one in the north controlled by the jurchen
As for the Righteous Armies, they were the actual army after 1593. They don't need to win against the Japanese on the field, though they did in the Battle of Haengju, for example. They just need to bleed them out. And they weren't just peasants; yangban civil officials and generals lacking troops led the Righteous Armies in battle. The peasants in turn weren't strangers to conflict; generations of fighting seaborne raiders (wokou) meant the peasants had some experience with fighting. And the Ming and Jurchen have a vested interest in seeing the Japanese fail. The US in Vietnam parallel is a bit tired, but it's along the same lines, frankly.
1655574570000.png

i apologize but i always think about it for some reason when they talk about usa and viatnam

I didn't even know the Ming had an effective Navy at the ready in that region. Anyways, if it's anything like their southern one, it still took them 3 months to respond to pirates, so I will still bet on the Japanese navy still being able to resupply their army for 3 weeks.

An extremely Brutal Japanese occupation can take care of the rebels by just Frankly killing off so much of the Population outside well controlled fertile plains (that would be used to grow food). If there's no one in the in the country side, there are no rebels and while that probably won't be achieved completely, it has been achieved before in medieval times.

With a large sealane and island for a Japan that occupied southern Korea, how effective can this even be?
"This zone was left untouched for almost a century while Alfonso's successors focused their energies on Vasconia and Galicia. "
Japan doesn't have a century, or even a decade before it dives back into civil war again. Can they hold Korea during a civil war when the Manchu are creating their empire? Especially when Korea will not produce enough food for its own farmers, let alone being of benefit to Japan itself?

Also, compared to the Iberians, the Japanese don't know the geography of the land they've seized that well and the proposal to kill off the population means killing millions with premodern tech in a country with rough terrain. Hard to wipe out resistance if all hiding spots aren't known, and Korea has a population of roughly 10 million, IIRC, which is kind of a whole different scale than what happened in Iberia. Trying to wipe out the population is going to take years and stiffen resistance to an unimaginable extent. It'll be hard to get collaborators if the intent is the extermination of the whole region, after all. All the peasants are going to flee into the mountains once they hear what's happening, nothing will be grown in the fields, and it'll require massive military effort to sweep unknown forested mountains at a time where the Japanese are about to lose their one unifying figure.

As for the sealane, Japan is literally just a series of islands. The Tokugawa still restricted trade effectively (yes, not completely, but they clamped down massively and forced the entire Christian population of Japan into hiding). There's no real difference with or without Korea.
Maybe oda nobunaga? he can be many things but stupid is not one of them

no USA left because of the fact that it is a democracy and the American population after viatnam doesn't have the stomach for a war in a country they don't find on the map for a reason they don't understand.

yes tokugawa will want to isolate himself, but will he be able to? what caused the isolation was the loss of the war by Hide. if he takes power and orders a withdrawal from Korea, however sensible it is, it will be seen as a stain on the nation's honor and a pathetic start to the dynasty. I don't doubt that jokes will be created like the dynasty of cowards.

yes, but japan will be part of this disaster. It will be seen as the loss of the heavenly mandate. Disasters will still happen. But ming will be slower to respond to them than in otl.
Losses to the jurchen are likely to happen yet. Considering that all the factors still exist

I think this is what is most likely to happen with not only part of the Japanese force, but also the Chinese, dying of hunger. With the korean peasants dying en masse due to the little cultivated being taken over by the various armies

we can also have a china divided into 2 nations one in the south chinese and one in the north controlled by the jurchen
Whether Oda Nobunaga would have launched the invasion or not, I can't really tell. IIRC, Hideyoshi claimed it was Nobunaga's idea, but Hideyoshi also needed a way to shore up his legitimacy due to his low birth, so idk. Regardless, it was individual Japanese generals acting on their own that antagonized the Jurchen, IIRC, and Nurhaci was offering to fight the Japanese during the war. Japan has no prior communication with the Jurchen AFAIK and considered them barbarians, so it's doubtful things would've changed without a much earlier PoD.

The US left because the war's goals were ill-defined, costly, and stretched on for far too long. Democracy was a factor, sure, but then I suppose we can point to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan instead if we need an example without democracy hampering military efforts. The point being that the wars were quagmires that were just costly and held little to no immediate value and the aggressive powers didn't have the political will/resources to maintain such a costly struggle for the time it took to actually get returns.

Japanese isolationism had its roots in Hideyoshi's policies. He did, after all, execute Christian missionaries after the Spanish began conquering the Philippines. And, in an alt Sekigahara, it'll be the Toyotomi loyalists having lands in Korea. Tokugawa Ieyasu overthrowing young Toyotomi Hideyori (which would frankly be easier with Toyotomi forces split across the Korean Strait) means Korea is now a double hotbed of rebellion: the Toyotomi forces against the Tokugawa and the Koreans against the Toyotomi. That's not a state of affairs that can last for long and Japanese control, especially in the face of Manchu expansionism, isn't going to be sustainable. And remember that Korea will not have been profitable in the slightest unless given decades for the farmland to recover and become repopulated. Given that sort of loss, especially given the costs and lack of returns, Japan going isolationist is not going to be affected. The Christian threat is still there, the southern daimyo are getting too strong, and the mainland commitments are too expensive to justify. It's same state of affairs, just pushed back some years.

Now the question is whether Tokugawa Ieyasu still overthrow the Toyotomi if Japan were to win the Imjin War. If Hideyori is a child and factional rivalries are still active (probably worse if the western daimyos are seen to be making considerable gains), then probably. Tokugawa Ieyasu was an ambitious man and all his rivals, regardless of victory or defeat in the Imjin War, are either overstretched, wounded, or hostile towards each other for slights (like showing each other up during the war or getting more recognition).

And as for China, I'm not saying the Ming won't collapse. I'm saying Japan attacking them isn't going to magically collapse them 50 years early. Speed up the collapse, sure. But the Ming will have enough time to recuperate and launch retaliatory strikes, based on what happened with the Manchu, is what it seems like for me.

Whether Oda Nobunaga would have launched the invasion or not, I can't really tell. IIRC, Hideyoshi claimed it was Nobunaga's idea, but Hideyoshi also needed a way to shore up his legitimacy due to his low birth, so idk. Regardless, it was individual Japanese generals acting on their own that antagonized the Jurchen, IIRC, and Nurhaci was offering to fight the Japanese during the war. Japan has no prior communication with the Jurchen AFAIK and considered them barbarians, so it's doubtful things would've changed without a much earlier PoD.
part of the problem with the generals was that the army didn't have a supreme leader to organize things. All generals were equal. I doubt that if oda can unify japan, the invasion of korea will be so disorderly
Now the question is whether Tokugawa Ieyasu still overthrow the Toyotomi if Japan were to win the Imjin War. If Hideyori is a child and factional rivalries are still active (probably worse if the western daimyos are seen to be making considerable gains), then probably. Tokugawa Ieyasu was an ambitious man and all his rivals, regardless of victory or defeat in the Imjin War, are either overstretched, wounded, or hostile towards each other for slights (like showing each other up during the war or getting more recognition).
maybe besides death yi would have to be the Oda who unifies japan for the invasion to work
And as for China, I'm not saying the Ming won't collapse. I'm saying Japan attacking them isn't going to magically collapse them 50 years early. Speed up the collapse, sure. But the Ming will have enough time to recuperate and launch retaliatory strikes, based on what happened with the Manchu, is what it seems like for me.
yes ming is not weak and even with the war it will not collapse immediately. But instead of 50 years the dynasty collapses in about 20-30 years

This discussion has taken turns I was not expecting. So... let’s focus on not Oda leading the invasion by the POD being Yi’s death.

While the Righteous Armies certainly played a role in Japan’s defeat, it’s worth noting that Yi still was crucial to cutting off Japan’s supply line. And while yes, Japan’s armies did have issues, Korea’s? Was far, far worse. It’s one reason why the Japanese advanced so fast.

So I’d say without a good naval force harrying Japan’s naval supplies, Japan has a chance of establishing a stronger foothold in Korea early on. And while I still believe they’ll eventually lose, and ultimately abandon Korea, Korea itself will be left remarkably different, perhaps becoming fragmented between feuding states since the King and his Court... well, they ain’t gonna be popular here.

Hideyoshi did actually expect to get a few galleons from the Spanish (or possibly Portuguese, I can't remember which ATM), but they never materialised, perhaps because they had nothing really to gain from a Japanese invasion of Korea.