Why are all the countries the Soviet Union invaded overlooked?

Fighting a war to liberate Poland only to hand it over to one of its attackers was a betrayal.

The Wallies made it absolutly clear to the Poles before signing the alliance that it was directed against Germany only. I didn't mean that they hinted at it, or implied it, but literary said to the poles in the secret part that "attack by country" in the document text is to be read as "attack by germany". The Poles knew this, accepted it, and made the alliance.

So if I tell you I will protect you against Germany only, and absolutly nobody else, especially the Soviets, you hear this and say "ok" and I then proceed to protect you against Germany, but not the Soviets...how did I betray you?

The Wallies made it absolutly clear to the Poles before signing the alliance that it was directed against Germany only. I didn't mean that they hinted at it, or implied it, but literary said to the poles in the secret part that "attack by country" in the document text is to be read as "attack by germany". The Poles knew this, accepted it, and made the alliance.

So if I tell you I will protect you against Germany only, and absolutly nobody else, especially the Soviets, you hear this and say "ok" and I then proceed to protect you against Germany, but not the Soviets...how did I betray you?
If the Little Entente was specifically about Germany, why did Romania join?

What has the Little Entente to do with this? Neither Poland nor Britain were members of it.
For some reason I was thinking Poland was in it. Regardless, the alliance with France at least did apply to Poland's neighbors to the west and the east.

For some reason I was thinking Poland was in it. Regardless, the alliance with France at least did apply to Poland's neighbors to the west and the east.

Source? Pretty sure the renewed alliance in 1939 was pretty explicitly against Germany.

The one renewed once the invasion started pertained to Germany, but given that the underlying agreement was forged as the Soviet invasion was winding down in 1921....

So the great western betrayal of poland hings upon a treaty poland had with only 1 out of the three major wallies (and the by far weakest too), and even that treaties most actual version didn't say anything about the soviets.

I admit that I am very much unimpressed by this reasoning.

Because FDR called Stalin Uncle Joe to hide the fact that he was a much more efficient mass murderer than Hitler,he sicced the FBI on the Polish American community to squash any talk of the Soviets slaughtering their captives at Katyn,all for politics and keep Soviets fighting Nazis.

Because FDR called Stalin Uncle Joe to hide the fact that he was a much more efficient mass murderer than Hitler,

care to clarify? ideally without massivly downplaying the Nazis atrocities, which you know heaped up an unpredecented bodycount in their short reign, and were only stopped from wiping out their enemies to the last child by being defeated.

care to clarify? ideally without massivly downplaying the Nazis atrocities, which you know heaped up an unpredecented bodycount in their short reign, and were only stopped from wiping out their enemies to the last child by being defeated.
I'm thinking that Stalin got a lot of labor out of the poor people that were eventually murdered.His propaganda machine was a much more effective than Hitler/Goebbels,and while he needed Lend Lease,the Allies needed his troops so take the casualties that would have been inflicted on theirs.Blind hatred had the Nazis killing people they actually needed and using resources that they needed in fighting to do it with.

So just before and during WW2 the Soviet Union invaded Finland, Poland, the Baltic States, etc.

Why is this ignored by history for the most part?

This is a rather puzzling question. The German-Soviet pact, the new partition of Poland, the annexation of the Baltic states, the Winter War with Finland, etc. are all in the standard history books and frequently discussed here.

Actually, there are some Soviet military interventions in neighboring countries that are relatively neglected. E.g., Afghanistan 1929 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Army_intervention_in_Afghanistan_(1929) and Xinjiang 1934. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_invasion_of_Xinjiang

Last edited:
I'm thinking that Stalin got a lot of labor out of the poor people that were eventually murdered.

The Soviet nomenklatura got less labour out of gulag internees than the Soviet Union got out of free labour, even from hostile nationalities. The labours achieved by gulag were a mixture of both “entirely unnecessary” and “not requiring imprisoned low or ultra low calorie prison labour to achieve.” Gulag was an economic drain from an unskilled labour perspective, even before the opportunity costs of imprisoning trained, semi-skilled, skilled, technical, professional or intelligentsia workers. Gulag was grossly economically inefficient, a least optimal choice, barely necessary for controlling organised workers, and only really useful in relation to various Parties’ membership. And then only due to the Djilas-Fitzpatrick theses on nomenklatura internal politics.

Gulag got nothing useful out of Soviet citizens pre 1939 let alone post-1939 citizens of former nations. The political effects here were even less useful: the chief victims post 45 were social democrats (the more revolutionary the worse) for the obvious reason.

It was only ever grotesque waste, or until 1930 a playground for failed intelligentsia.

yours,
Sam R.

Last edited:
I’ve not read of fear as effective labour motivation compared to the “four weeks on the job move shop and up a skill level,” or “black market vodka,” or “Love of Russia” after 42. Fear reduced the effectiveness of nomenklatura. Fear didn’t stop AK organising itself. 25s didn’t generate a difference from 10s. Doubles were useless. Even in camp calories were more effective than isolators.

If one really wants to talk utter, fairly despicable, failure by the WAllies, I would point top the ethnic cleansing of ethnic Germans from Eastern Europe in the post war period. The WAllies simply wrote those people off, didn't even make a serious attempt get the Soviets to allow minimal humanitarian assistance. It is unlikely that the Soviets would have allowed it, but it should have at least been attempted.
Deportations were conducted by local authorities without Soviets participating. When Polish government asked Soviet troops to help in the matter, Stalin flatly refused.
Also, Churchill was enthusiastically vengeful about these deportations.