Where Socrates And Buddha Meet: The Story Of Indica, The Indo-Greek Kingdom

Hecatee

Donor
Am doing research for upcoming chapters but I need help putting together some ideas. I'm thinking of having Alexander the IVth send the slaves of disloyal nobles sent eastwards to settle and have fortress cities set up to provide housing and supplies for settlers. What do you think? Greek expansion further inward will not occur until a century later when the neighboring Indian empire experiences severe difficulty.
Who are most of the slaves in the west at thid point ? Barbarians, from the Balkans or from Gaul for most part. So not much educated... the last wars that made lots of Greek slaves are more than two if not three decades old (A III destruction of Thebes), so a lot of the slaves from that time are already "used" or are probably not going to be freed and/or able to go East. Also they would find many opportunities to settle long before they got east of Mesopotamia, so the flux of settlers would be very thin, especially as going that far requires a lot of money (for food), a capital freed slaves will not have. Also don't forget that large scale slave exploitation by even the richest macedonians is still done on a rather limited scale, there is no roman latifundia model, the biggest users of slaves are mines and you don't free miners, you kill them at their task for your benefit...

Who are most of the slaves in the west at thid point ? Barbarians, from the Balkans or from Gaul for most part.
I think that at least a certain percentage of them may be those that weren't born slaves nor barbarians, but people that unable to pay/repaid their debts to their creditors/landlords and fell into the slavery (debt enslavement).

Last edited:

Hecatee

Donor
I think that at least a certain percentage of them may be those that weren't born slaves nor barbarians, but people that unable to pay/repaid their debts to their creditors/landlords and fell into the slavery (debt enslavement).
Debt enslavement was mostly no longer practised in ghe Greek world at this date if I recall properly. For instance in Athens it was banned through Solon's laws if I recall properly, thus about a century and a half if not two centuries earlier

Debt enslavement was mostly no longer practised in ghe Greek world at this date if I recall properly. For instance in Athens it was banned through Solon's laws if I recall properly, thus about a century and a half if not two centuries earlier
Yeah, while I was aware of the Solon's reform, but aside that it was limited to Athens, I wasn't aware that its use had faded and I think that it still survived and was practiced under the Diadochi rule.