When the Wind Blew: a P&S Open Thread

Canadian TL

Title of TL: Maple Leaf Forever

Setting: North Bay,CFB Baden-Soellingen .

Brief Description: The protagonist works as part of NORAD CP in CFB North Bay. After the bombs fell, he must try to journey to Toronto to find out the fate of his long-time lover living in Toronto. Meanwhile, a CF-18 pilot must try to survive in the radioactive countryside.

I was thinking of doing the following timeline but have never really written something big on AH. Do you think I should try this or another short story first?

-CANMAN

Title of TL: Just Say Woah

Setting: "On Tour" somewhere in the US (They're not sure where exactly)

Brief Description: A group of Hippies, many of them specifically 80's Deadheads, wander more or less aimlessly across the devastation of America. Not sure what to do in the aftermath of the exchange, they remain grateful that, despite their dwindling supplies of food and water, they still have their guitars, drums, and a ton of acid.

The TL covers the pscyhological impacts on the last members of various American subcultures who use psychedelics and other substances to deal with the devastation. Unexpectedly, a group of survivors coalesce around these "positive types," leading to the emergence of a nascent psychedelic cult.

Title of Piece-No Rest for the Wicked

Setting-Niamey, Republic of the Niger

Brief Description-Plenty could guess why Abuja and Lagos went up in an atomic funeral pyre. Some even could guess why Monrovia was bombed a month after the end of war. Nobody has a clue why Ouagadougou was bombed. But for Three French Mercenaries, the end of "O-Town" was the end of their employment contracts. They now find themselves in the employ of the Colonel, the Dictator of the week for Niger. Their mission, journey through atomic and genocide wracked Nigeria to find still functioning oil wells.

It would be more of a story then a TL.

(Also, does anyone have a link to all of the spin offs)

Last edited:
Both sound good, but I have a feeling the top one is better for you.

I'd give it a go! :)

Thank you for your encouragement, mon general.

In favour of the diary is the possibility to include a lot of report-style prose which I think I am better at than in just telling a story. It would however, put a lot of responsibility for the whole P&S-universe on my shoulders as the character writing the diary gains a lot of insight into the condition Switzerland's neighbours are in.

Against it speaks the fact that I am not Swiss at all (and I am not very familiar with the country either), but I find the Swiss POV very interesting for the developing post-war world (although I have to resist the temptation to "w***" them). And, maybe I shouldn't say that, I have no firsthand military experience.

On a side note does your name mean Potato in German?

Ah, someone visited wikipedia. :eek: Potato is a actually a "Kartoffel" in Standard German (or more poetically, an "Erdapfel" - earthapple). The "Bamberger Hörnla" apparently is a special crooked species of potato....one of which I have never heard.

You can rather actually buy and eat a Hörnla in the region of Franken when entering a bakery. It is a sort of croissant.

My family name is very rare (less than 20 entries in all German phone-books, none of them in Franken) and stems from the formerly German-speaking part of the Czech Republik where my family came from in '45.

Title of Piece-No Rest for the Wicked

Setting-Niamey, Republic of the Niger

Brief Description-Plenty could guess why Abuja and Lagos went up in an atomic funeral pyre. Some even could guess why Monrovia was bombed a month after the end of war. Nobody has a clue why Ouagadougou was bombed. But for Three French Mercenaries, the end of "O-Town" was the end of their employment contracts. They now find themselves in the employ of the Colonel, the Dictator of the week for Niger. Their mission, journey through atomic and genocide wracked Nigeria to find still functioning oil wells.

It would be more of a story then a TL.

(Also, does anyone have a link to all of the spin offs)

This TL looks quite interesting. A not first world country, in a continent that has scantly been coverd outsided of a small view of South Africa could be quite interesting.

And I am working on a Table of Contents page for the whole P&S anthology. It should be comming out shortly.

Thank you for your encouragement, mon general.

In favour of the diary is the possibility to include a lot of report-style prose which I think I am better at than in just telling a story. It would however, put a lot of responsibility for the whole P&S-universe on my shoulders as the character writing the diary gains a lot of insight into the condition Switzerland's neighbours are in.

Against it speaks the fact that I am not Swiss at all (and I am not very familiar with the country either), but I find the Swiss POV very interesting for the developing post-war world (although I have to resist the temptation to "w***" them). And, maybe I shouldn't say that, I have no firsthand military experience.

Sounds good, I like the way DrakonFin is doing it with Land of Sad Songs so a diary TL already has good precident. I look forward to seeing your work, especially dealing with the country formerly known as Germany.

Hörnla said:
Ah, someone visited wikipedia. :eek: Potato is a actually a "Kartoffel" in Standard German (or more poetically, an "Erdapfel" - earthapple). The "Bamberger Hörnla" apparently is a special crooked species of potato....one of which I have never heard.

You can rather actually buy and eat a Hörnla in the region of Franken when entering a bakery. It is a sort of croissant.

My family name is very rare (less than 20 entries in all German phone-books, none of them in Franken) and stems from the formerly German-speaking part of the Czech Republik where my family came from in '45.

And once again the ignorant American totally insults someones family and/or honor. Being called a potato or "flaky French bread" where I'm from that would probably start a fight. Sorry about that.

But once again the TL looks good, are your working with Macraggle, he seems to be heading into Germany shortly.

Good Luck,

-Gen_Patton

Last edited:
Title of TL:
There won't be any illuminations this year

Setting:
The Lancaster/Morecambe urban area, at 120,000 people, is one of the largest surviving urban areas in the UK.

Brief Description:
Despite a few early concerns with nearby blasts at Barrow-in-Furness (15 miles) and HMS Inskip (15 miles), the city has become a Lancastrian Portsmouth. A centre for governance (and refugees) in the north west. With a university, port facilities and a nuclear power station, Lancaster takes on added strategic importance in the new Britain, along with nearby Blackpool.

The timeline will be three short pieces - a combination of people stories and brief reports from local officials to Whitelaw. The three pieces will be: 1) War day; 2) Reorganisation 3) Frontierland, covering the period Feb - June 1984.

Thoughts?

Particularly interested in this one as I live just across the Bay in Fleetwood and would like to see how the port would fair.

Falkenburg

Monthly Donor
Another passing thought.

Title: Defect and Imbibe

Setting: Moscow in the final days before The Exchange

Brief Description: Set largely in the Apartment (and Mind) of Kim Philby.
Defect & Imbibe is the sad tale of a former Soviet Spy, disillusioned with the cause for which he defected, drinking himself into an early grave as he observes the world spiraling towards destruction.

Bitter introspection combined with the emancipation of a man with nothing left to lose.
Most of the dialogue would be conducted with figments of Philbys' imagination, ghosts of friends betrayed and hallucinations.

Inspired (or deluded) by the exotic (and toxic) substances the impoverished exile resorts to drinking to drown his regrets, Philbys' mind wanders the globe, eavesdropping on the Movers and Shakers who will move beyond sanity and shake the world to its' foundations.

Falkenburg

This TL looks quite interesting. A not first world country, in a continent that has scantly been coverd outsided of a small view of South Africa could be quite interesting.

And I am working on a Table of Contents page for the whole P&S anthology. It should be comming out shortly.

If anybody would like to shoot me a list of targets that might receive a hit in Africa, let me know. As a companion to this timeline, I'll put out a target received list for Africa. (I'd imagine less then 20 hits in Africa, but what they are will be interesting)

Another passing thought.

Title: Defect and Imbibe

Setting: Moscow in the final days before The Exchange

Brief Description: Set largely in the Apartment (and Mind) of Kim Philby.
Defect & Imbibe is the sad tale of a former Soviet Spy, disillusioned with the cause for which he defected, drinking himself into an early grave as he observes the world spiraling towards destruction.

Bitter introspection combined with the emancipation of a man with nothing left to lose.
Most of the dialogue would be conducted with figments of Philbys' imagination, ghosts of friends betrayed and hallucinations.

Inspired (or deluded) by the exotic (and toxic) substances the impoverished exile resorts to drinking to drown his regrets, Philbys' mind wanders the globe, eavesdropping on the Movers and Shakers who will move beyond sanity and shake the world to its' foundations.

Falkenburg

Very dark and very trippy to say the least.

waiting for the wind

I want to do something in the P and S universe.

West coast of Norway, city of Bergen. Royal Norwegian Nayvy got their maine base located here and there is also an airport that in peacetime can handle a Boieng 747 and the ocasional AWACS.

But I need some info on what kind of Soviet nuclear device that's gonna be used on the two targets that are localised surounding bergen. The naval base got a tunneled dock with blast doors that can host the frigates of RNN so i think the Soviets would use a ground blast but I'm not sure about the yield. Ground blast for the airport aswell, but again, what yield.

I might put out a segment in this thred soon. Takes some time for me to write in english.

I want to do something in the P and S universe.

West coast of Norway, city of Bergen. Royal Norwegian Nayvy got their maine base located here and there is also an airport that in peacetime can handle a Boieng 747 and the ocasional AWACS.

But I need some info on what kind of Soviet nuclear device that's gonna be used on the two targets that are localised surounding bergen. The naval base got a tunneled dock with blast doors that can host the frigates of RNN so i think the Soviets would use a ground blast but I'm not sure about the yield. Ground blast for the airport aswell, but again, what yield.

I might put out a segment in this thred soon. Takes some time for me to write in english.

The airport can be taken out with a low-yield weapon, say 25 kt, not even necessarily groundburst. For the tunneled dock :O the yield would be, say, around 600kt, groundurst against the mountain. Sufficient to bake and earthquake anything inside out of existence, I think.

Chipperback, thanks. But I'll soon post a test segment in this thread. It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock'n roll.

The airport can be taken out with a low-yield weapon, say 25 kt, not even necessarily groundburst. For the tunneled dock :O the yield would be, say, around 600kt, groundurst against the mountain. Sufficient to bake and earthquake anything inside out of existence, I think.

Ok, I've cheked with a "Nuclear bomb calculator" and I think a 600Kt ground burst on topp of the hill containing the dock actually would take out the airport as well.

Been spinning this in my head as a unique point of view to experience

Title: In this very ring...

Location: an undetermined wrestling territory in the American Midwest

Description: taking some from Land of Flatwater, we look at the life of a former Professional Wrestling champion who tries to tour with a motly crew of fellow grapplers in over the burned out wreckage of their former wrestling territory. Was looking at men like Harley Race, Verne Gagne, or the Funk brothers as central figures.

Northern wind, Test segment P&S

Stand up and be counted
For what you are about to receive
We are the dealers
We'll give you everything you need
The band was rehearsing in the basement of one of my friend’s house. We were all feeling like big rock stars but I supposed we were as crappy as our instruments. But none the less we were young and full of guts. This evening we lacked the energy. Stopped playing and just sat around, smoking. Killin time.

Paul had said it to me one morning we were waiting for the bus; “This Reagan dude, he’s going to kill us all”. I said, “yeah, - sure”. And we started to talk about girls. We were 15 years old, who cared about politics. Girls, cigarettes, alcohol and music, that’s what’s important.

Haakonsvern naval base, Bergen – Norway, 29. January 1984.

“Med bakgrunn i den siste tidens internasjonale hendelser er det fra forsvarsjefen side besluttet at det fra og med I dag kl 0800 er innført høyeste beredskap på alle forsvarets installasjoner. ” (From the chief of the Norwegian forces; due to the increasing international crisis, From today 0800 it is highest alert on all Norwegian defense forces installations).
The Worker sighed, and went of the buss facing the entrance to the naval base. He knew what to expect from the security personnel. Only one thing was troubling him. This time they had live ammo, this was not a drill. And one thing he knew for sure; conscripts with live ammo could be trigger happy, everything could happen. But the job had to be done, in these times everybody knew how important it was to get the destroyer ready. Should the Soviets try to invade, well RNN needed every ship available. But the Worker knew everything would happen in Germany and in the North of Norway. The land of the midnight sun could be the land of thousand suns. He knew he was safe in the bunker. That was unless the unspeakable would happen.

Askøy County – Kleppestø, 29. January 1984.
The janitor cursed, this was to much for one man. To many books had to be carried away, and where to? He knew nothing. All he was told was to empty the shelters in the basement of the school. Get rid of all the shit that was laying about. He had to see the principal, he needed help. It’s just to many books, and what should we do with the darkroom? It’s a mess out there, it’s a mess in here. Fuck this shit!

KNM “Nordkapp” , Ekofisk oilfield 320 Km of the coast of Norway,
29. January 1984.

“We got contact!” No panic in the voice, but still there was a different tone. A whole new reality was thrown upon us this week. No more looking for Spanish pirate-fishermen. The chopper that used to search for trawlers was now on the lookout for a different kind of fish. “It’s the same one, the one we stalked yesterday – Russian” The captain order us to follow him, sonar only. “Get the chopper down now, might need it later. Report the coordinates and heading to Naval Command”. It’ was the third sub we’ve encountered that day.

I went to see Paul that evening, didn't feel like rehearsing. He might have got some new records. He’s my best friend, but could be a complete ass sometimes. He always said what he felt, but then again. You never had to wonder what he was thinking or where he was heading.

That's it. My first go on this P&S univers, and the first lenghty post on this site.

Tentative Target List for Cities Struck in Africa, a tentative list for “No Rest for the Wicked”

• Cairo (American or Israeli Weapon)
  • Alexandria (American or Israeli Weapon)
  • Aswan High Dam (American or Israeli Weapon)
  • Khartoum (American or Israeli Weapon)
  • Monrovia (Soviet SLBM,Nobody Knows why)
  • Abuja (Soviet SLBM)
  • Lagos (Soviet SLBM)
  • Part Harcourt (Soviet SLBM)
  • Kinshasa (Soviet SLBM)
  • Banjul Airport (Soviet SLBM)
  • Ouagadougou (Unknown)
  • Dakar (Soviet SLBM)
  • Casablanca (Soviet SLBM)
  • Kano (Soviet SLBM)
  • Abijan (Soviet SLBM)
  • Tangier (Soviet SLBM)
  • Rabat (Soviet SLBM)
  • Dijibouti City (Soviet SLBM)
  • Nairobi (Soviet SLBM)

Struck as part of the South African Armageddon

1.Maputo (South African Gravity Bomb)

2.Lusaka (South African Gravity Bomb)
3.Luanda (South African Gravity Bomb)
4.1 Tactical Device used Near Bloemfontien (South African Gravity Bomb)
5. Cape Town (South African Gravity Bomb gone wrong)
6. Harrare (South African Gravity Bomb)

6.Pretoria (Cuban Launched Tactical Nuke)

7.Johannesburg (Cuban Launched Tactical Nuke)
8.Bloemfontien (Cuban Launched Tactical Nuke)
9.Durban (Cuban Launched Tactical Nuke)

Feed back on the list if anyone objects?

Last edited:
Tentative Target List for Cities Struck in Africa, a tentative list for “No Rest for the Wicked”

• Cairo (American or Israeli Weapon)
  • Alexandria (American or Israeli Weapon)
  • Aswan High Dam (American or Israeli Weapon)
  • Khartoum (American or Israeli Weapon)
  • Monrovia (Soviet SLBM,Nobody Knows why)
  • Abuja (Soviet SLBM)
  • Lagos (Soviet SLBM)
  • Part Harcourt (Soviet SLBM)
  • Kinshasa (Soviet SLBM)
  • Banjul Airport (Soviet SLBM)
  • Ouagadougou (Unknown)
  • Dakar (Soviet SLBM)
  • Casablanca (Soviet SLBM)
  • Kano (Soviet SLBM)

Struck as part of the South African Armageddon

1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Maputo (South African Gravity Bomb)

2.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Lusaka (South African Gravity Bomb)
3.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Luanda (South African Gravity Bomb)
4.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]1 Tactical Device used Near Bloemfontien (South African Gravity Bomb)
5.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Cape Town (South African Gravity Bomb gone wrong)

6.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Pretoria (Cuban Launched Tactical Nuke)

7.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Johannesburg (Cuban Launched Tactical Nuke)
8.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Bloemfontien (Cuban Launched Tactical Nuke)
9.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Durban (Cuban Launched Tactical Nuke)

Feed back on the list if anyone objects?

I'd add Abidjan via a Soviet nuke the Ivory Coast has a French Foreign Legion base and would be destroyed in response.

I'd Tangier, Rabat (Morocco's capitol city), the airports in Entebbe, Nairobi, and Dar es Salaam, Djibouti city (A French and therefor NATO ally) also all from Soviet nukes.

Maybe add Harare to the list of cities South Africa takes out?

Oooh, thanks for those. I'll flip a coin on Dar Es Saalem, becouse that one is a 50/50 chance. But I agree with the other ones. Adding to the list.