When the Wind Blew: a P&S Open Thread

This is actually not one but two ideas I have been developing.

Hello, LeoXiao, I came up with these ideas independently but I see you have similar ones also - perhaps we can corroborate on them.

Title of TL: Metro 1984/ Roadside Picnic B254

Setting: Moscow Metro and other underground areas/ Western Germany

Brief Description:
Metro 1984 is the story of the survivors in Moscow huddling in the extensive underground architectures and struggling to survive and find a way out.

Roadside Picnic is a story of surviving Soviet Army units attempting to survive in the irradiated wastelands of Germany. I make no comment as to whether they ambushed British scouts in the region. Possibility of a sub-story 'Anabasis' which tracks a splinter group attempting to march back to the Soviet Union.

I also have a sort of idea about a Chinese timeline 'Ten Thousand Years' but the Soviet ones is already a lot to do so it'll have to wait.

I hate to rain on anybody’s parade, but I doubt there will be survivors in Moscow to feature in a story. Moscow was the number one target for NATO nuclear forces, after the main leadership bunker; it’s been rumoured that at various times the entire RN Polaris force was targeted on Moscow.
The city would have been hit by multiple air and ground bursts, the later being fatal for anyone in the Metro.

In the ‘50s the AWRE conducted tests on the effects of atomic weapons on London. They discovered that if a ground burst penetrated a tunnel it would be fatal for everyone sheltering within for quite some distance as the shockwave would pass down the tunnel for quite some distance.

There may be some survivors on the fringes of Moscow, as there would be in London, DC and Paris, but they would not be survivors for long.

This is actually not one but two ideas I have been developing.

Hello, LeoXiao, I came up with these ideas independently but I see you have similar ones also - perhaps we can corroborate on them.

Title of TL: M Roadside Picnic B254

Setting: Western Germany

Brief Description:
Roadside Picnic is a story of surviving Soviet Army units attempting to survive in the irradiated wastelands of Germany. I also have a sort of idea about a Chinese timeline 'Ten Thousand Years' but the Soviet ones is already a lot to do so it'll have to wait.

Hmmm a fan of the STALKER games?

Though no one has proposed a Chinese TL already so I wonder if you could flesh 'Ten Thousand Years' out. It might actually be more interesting...

Hmmm a fan of the STALKER games?

Though no one has proposed a Chinese TL already so I wonder if you could flesh 'Ten Thousand Years' out. It might actually be more interesting...

GRRR. Roadside Picnic came FIRST!

As for Moscow - getting nuked was the whole idea, it's a giant missile sponge that isn't actually very important (well, in terms of strategic warfare) - there is nothing there that can't be replaced.

However, the point of a missile sponge is to convinced the enemy that they have to hit it with everything they've got and the entire Moscow civil defence and ABM system was designed to do just that.

Which is why it has extensive overpressure tunnels, ventilation facilities, undocumented branches, bunker complexes and en entire parallel system (no, I am not talking about Metro-2), connection to the sewer system, both under and around the metro itself, and tunnels that leads miles away from Moscow itself. Long story short the best defence is depth and volume and the entire underground complex had just that.

You'll note also that I said 'find a way out' - the implicit assumption is that the city itself is well and truly paved over and the survivors will have to navigate the hundreds of miles of tunnels, some collapsed, others dangerous, in order to seek one of the exits, all while food, energy, water is running short, decease is rampant, and the tunnels are slowly flooding.

Unfortunately, Metro 1984 will not feature mutants. :(

Last edited:
Did you read Strugatsky? I understand that they are fairly well-known in Finland, I knew a fellow who was an artillerist in the Maavoimat who swear by them.

I was thinking the "Metro 2033" by Dmitry Glukhovsky. I haven't actually read it myself, but the setting is basically the same (survivors in post-nuclear war metro tunnels etc.).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_2033_(book)

I have read Strugatsky as a kid. I read every even remotely science fiction-related novel the local library had. Alongside with the usual Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, Stanislaw Lem etc. they had also Soviet/Russian SF novels, I think mostly by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky, but there were others as well I think.

Russian/Soviet SF had (maybe still has) a different tinge than, say, American SF - more philosophical and sociological, while the American ones has a bigger sense-of-wonder factor. Or something like that :rolleyes:

Title: North of the suns

Setting: The northen norwegian county of Finnmark

Brief description: After the first massive Soviet assault trough northen Norway, the use of nucelar devices more or less stopped any futher organized advance, and the remaining parts of east Finmark had to fend for themself in the post-apocalyptic era.

A story told from the eyes of a young employee at the county administrative bord.

Hnau

Banned
I would be interested in writing a bit about post-apocalyptic Utah... but I'd much rather like to see the creation of a P&S wiki first to organize everything.

Prompted by thoughts of trying to maintain some sense of 'normality' Post Exchange and equip children for the new challenges they will face.

Title: A is for Armageddon
Cookie Monster learns not to eat 'found' food the hard way.

Falkenburg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

poor Cookie Monster!

Falkenburg

Monthly Donor
Any suggestions for Music for use in Soundtracks?

Preferably contemporaneous or previously released. (Otherwise it'd just be too easy :p).
Any thoughts on when such songs would be most appropriate would be appreciated.

A couple to get the ball rolling.

The Clash Rock The Casbah (1982) Self explanatory, I would have thought. ;)

B52s Your Own Private Idaho (1980) Armed separatists anthem? :p

Prince 1999 (1982) Perhaps appropriate for a hedonistic blowout or thoughts of a recovered world. :(

Grand Master Flash The Message (1982) Urban survivor anthem? (Don't push me, 'cos I'm. Close. To. The. Edge.)

Thoughts?

Falkenburg

Last edited:
Would we be ok if the Protect and Survive wiki were a wikia page?

Or does someone else know of a better server to use?

Here's an idea (which I'd like to see someone else tackle):

The events of Protect and Survive from the POV of a family of Russian defectors living in the United States (maybe set it in Pennsylvania).

That would be an interesting POV.

(Or a White Russian family in Texas (a lot of them moved there after the Russian Revolution).)

I sometimes feel a little tempted to elaborate further into this timeline instead of heckling from the sidelines and sending nukemap after nukemap to Macragge ;). OTOH...I am not sure if I can muster the imagination, the literary capability and the time to do give these ideas the scope they would deserve.
However, it shall suffice for an entry in "When the Wind Blew"...

Title of TL: Die Hörnla Tagebücher

Setting: Switzerland, Germany, Austria

Brief Description: Starting with the Swiss report for the British Government on Germany (yet unpublished but given to capable hands), I would follow the further involvement of its writer, Swiss Fachoffizier Urs Hörnla, into his country's efforts to deal with a destroyed Europe.

Title of TL: The Wonder Years

Setting: Western Europe

Brief Description: Autobiographical account of a 1978-born German boy looking back at growing up in various places all over the remains of Western Europe.

Falkenburg

Monthly Donor
Title: Ourselves Alone

Setting: City of Derry, Northern Ireland.

Description:
Set in the countdown to The Exchange, Ourselves Alone focuses on the plans of various factions in Northern Irelands' Maiden City to pursue their own agendas while Britain (and the World) is focused elsewhere.

None of the protagonists believes events will escalate to a Nuclear Exchange.
As events unfold, extremists on all sides are starkly exposed in their ideological myopia, alienating the last vestiges of civilian support.

The majority of the Civilian population, including some of (but not all) the families of the Paramilitaries, evacuates the City, leaving the diehards to contest the deserted streets.

As the 'Hard Men' square up for the decisive confrontation Zulu Hour approaches.

<IIRC Derry is targeted for destruction in P&S >

Falkenburg

I sometimes feel a little tempted to elaborate further into this timeline instead of heckling from the sidelines and sending nukemap after nukemap to Macragge ;). OTOH...I am not sure if I can muster the imagination, the literary capability and the time to do give these ideas the scope they would deserve.
However, it shall suffice for an entry in "When the Wind Blew"...

Title of TL: Die Hörnla Tagebücher

Setting: Switzerland, Germany, Austria

Brief Description: Starting with the Swiss report for the British Government on Germany (yet unpublished but given to capable hands), I would follow the further involvement of its writer, Swiss Fachoffizier Urs Hörnla, into his country's efforts to deal with a destroyed Europe.

Title of TL: The Wonder Years

Setting: Western Europe

Brief Description: Autobiographical account of a 1978-born German boy looking back at growing up in various places all over the remains of Western Europe.

Both sound good, but I have a feeling the top one is better for you.

I'd give it a go! :)

On a side note does your name mean Potato in German?

-Gen_Patton

Title: Ourselves Alone

Setting: City of Derry, Northern Ireland.

Description:
Set in the countdown to The Exchange, Ourselves Alone focuses on the plans of various factions in Northern Irelands' Maiden City to pursue their own agendas while Britain (and the World) is focused elsewhere.

None of the protagonists believes events will escalate to a Nuclear Exchange.
As events unfold, extremists on all sides are starkly exposed in their ideological myopia, alienating the last vestiges of civilian support.

The majority of the Civilian population, including some of (but not all) the families of the Paramilitaries, evacuates the City, leaving the diehards to contest the deserted streets.

As the 'Hard Men' square up for the decisive confrontation Zulu Hour approaches.

<IIRC Derry is targeted for destruction in P&S >

Falkenburg

Cool! This would be an absolutely amazing TL! The troubles always disturbed me. Coming from an Irish Catholic background, I'm almost ashamed of what we participated in, in the name of God.

I would love to see this TL

-Gen_Patton