What would the peace look like in a fast Entente victory?

We've had a couple of WIs and timelines in the past about quick CP victories, all of which eventually begin to turn towards the matter of the post war peace in the event of a quick victory where the winner is still more or less intact, but I can't really recall the opposite - what would the peace treaty look like if the Entente somehow manages to achieve a quick and decisive victory in WW1?

The general backstory behind this WI comes from one of my games of HoI2. Playing as the United Kingdom, I managed to achieve a very, very fast victory in one of the game's WW1 mods by shipping the BEF across to France quick enough to stop the Germans when they had a string of bad things happen one right after the other causing them to take long enough going through Belgium for my forces and those of my French allies to reinforce the front and stop the advance in Belgium...after which I withdraw my forces and sent them to the Eastern Front via Arkhangelsk, where I managed to reinforce the Russian forces enough to cut off dozens of divisions in the Ukraine, which were destroyed by the Russians and which triggered an almost total collapse of the German army as the AI gutted the western front to try and stem the tide in the east, inadvertently causing the French to be able to advance into the Rhineland and seize its industry.

The war ended a year or so in, with British troops marching into Berlin from the east, Austria-Hungary peacing out with their empire intact - albeit in trouble both domestically and externally for throwing the German Empire under the bus - and Germany forced into a peace treaty that saw the return of Alsace Lorraine, the concession of some territory in the east and financial reparations to the Entente, which came in the form of industrial machinery in the case of the Russian Empire, which basically went to German factories, packed up the machines and sent them back to the Empire...but other than that, relatively little was actually done other than me taking their colonial empire, with Germany continuing to field a somewhat sizeable.

Obviously I'm pretty sure that's at the very least an implausible way of winning the war, if not entirely impossible, but its the post war situation I'm interested in. So, what does the post war peace treaty look like if the Entente manage to achieve a quick victory in the First World War? Alsace Lorraine is basically a given, but could we see something like the above where the Russians seize German industrial equipment as war reparations, or maybe even a surviving Austria-Hungary?

This isn't an era of history that I'm all that knowledgeable about, alas, so I'm really interested in hearing what people have

Germany loses the colonies, A-L, Polish-settled parts like Posen.

A-H loses East Galicia, Transsylvania, South Tyrol, (edit: and Bosnia!) but might survive. (I guess that Italy and Romania will jump into the war as soon as the CP defeat becomes apparent.)

Ottoman Empire gets dismembered. Maybe even Constantinople to Russia? Would be quite an achievement for such an incompetent tsar.

Last edited:
Russia would probably want to detach Bosnia from A-H, either as an independent state under Russian protection or annexed to Serbia. The Austrian annexation of Bosnia in 1908 was still a sore point with Russia: there had been an under-the-table deal between Austria and Russia to trade Russian support for the annexation (in violation of the 1878 Treaty of Berlin) for Austrian support for opening the Dardanelles to Russian warships (also in violation of the same treaty), and simultaneous announcements to limit the ability of other powers to object to either act. Austria went back on the deal and announced annexation first, triggering a diplomatic crisis where Russia and Serbia tried to object to the annexation but were forced by back down by a combination of military threats and political blackmail. Backing down hurt Russian national pride quite a bit (especially in the wake of their recent defeat in the Russo-Japanese war) and also caused domestic problems with supporters of Pan-Slavism, and inspired Russia to take a harder line during the July Crisis than they would otherwise in order to avoid another similar embarrassment.

In addition, given how the war started, taking Bosnia away from Austria would have a certain "let the punishment fit the crime" appeal as a way to punish Austria for their role in starting the war.

Germany loses the colonies, A-L, Polish-settled parts like Posen.

A-H loses East Galicia, Transsylvania, South Tyrol, (edit: and Bosnia!) but might survive. (I guess that Italy and Romania will jump into the war as soon as the CP defeat becomes apparent.)

Ottoman Empire gets dismembered. Maybe even Constantinople to Russia? Would be quite an achievement for such an incompetent tsar.
About A-H, I don't see it losing German-majority South Tyrol. Now, if you're talking about Trentino, then no doubt.

About the Ottomans, even OTL it took a good time to knock them out, so I don't see they being dismembered. I see they losing some territories on the Armenian Highland to Russia (probably around lake Van, region that had an Armenian majority then), probably followed by some population exchange between Turkey and Russia, with the Turks and Kurds on the Russian side and the Armenians on the Turkish side being sent to the other country; Al-Hasa to the Saudis (they had already conquered it in 1913, but this wasn't aknowledged until then); and maybe a French protectorate on Mount Lebanon. If the Bulgarians see the writing on the wall, they may enter on the war on the Entente side in time to take some pieces of Thrace, also.

On the rest, I agree with you.