Okay, so I was inspired by this wonderful video by leftist YouTuber and media analyst Renegade Cut, where he analyzes how the horror genre in the western world is heavily influenced by Christianity, often making copious implicit or even explicit Christian (typically Catholic) imagery, monsters, and ideas, and even when they aren't religiously oriented at all, some Christian elements tend to slip in. This makes sense, since we live in an incredibly Christian world, and the wealthiest and most influential nations in the world are predominantly Christian.

This is also part of why Japanese horror films have a reputation among western viewers of being so scary, they draw from an incredibly different religion and cultural mythology. Which got me thinking...
Knowing this, what would horror fiction made from the religious perspective of a culture that follows the Norse/Germanic faith look like?

Let's say, in this timeline, the Norse faith is somehow reformed (le epic CK2 memes intensify) and survives to the present, similar to what religions such as Shinto or Hinduism (which are incredibly different religions, do not get me wrong) ended up doing.
Now, let's look past (though probably not completely ignore) all of the incredibly interesting cultural, political, religious, and even technological ramifications of this for now, and focus specifically on horror media in countries that follow this religion. Books, films, tv shows, podcasts, all of the horror media they produce. What would it look like? And by that, I know some of you are just going to focus on what the monsters would be (and by all means, you should tell me what you think the monsters would be, I know a few, but I'd love to hear more), but I really want you to think about that question. What would common themes in this media be? What imagery would often be used? How would the monsters be defeated (not mechanics-wise, but in a thematic way)? How would the ire of these monsters be aroused? What should a Norse horror protagonist do if they want to survive, and what actions would lead to certain death?

There are probably more questions that I forgot to ask, but if you have your own, ask them, then if you can think of a question, answer them! I've honestly thought of this off and on for awhile, and I feel it would be an incredibly interesting thought exercise.

We've already got a hundred different types of zombies, though.

There's Jormungandr... could be that Cthulhu is a giant serpent instead of a squid.

Idea: powerful evil squids in league with the Jotun and who is in the habit of rising from the seas to destroy Norse sailors. Would only strike during storms, as they draw power from lightning and other things present during stormy weather at sea.

I do think a lot of the angle here would be in sailing and the sea and malicious elements opposing the Norse rising from there. The Norse were a sailing society when it came down to it.

Neither are zombies. The original Haitian mythology for them was much like the draugr.

I doubt that draugr would go in the same direction as zombies in our timeline, especially in the hands of someone who actually belongs to the religion they're coming from. There probably would be some changes, but I imagine they'd almost definitely stay powerful, evil revenant warriors driven solely by greed or a misplaced, twisted desire for revenge of some sort.

Odin could be an inspiration or someone to fear. He's literally a God who won't ask you to do anything he hasn't. But he's put out his eye and sacrificed himself to himself.

You could see him inspiring some twisted Frankenstein like stuff.

That's wonderful and terrifying at the same time.

I doubt that draugr would go in the same direction as zombies in our timeline, especially in the hands of someone who actually belongs to the religion they're coming from. There probably would be some changes, but I imagine they'd almost definitely stay powerful, evil revenant warriors driven solely by greed or a misplaced, twisted desire for revenge of some sort.
I've always found the idea of draugr with seaweed heads really interesting for some reason, would they predominate or would the older headless version survive?

I've always found the idea of draugr with seaweed heads really interesting for some reason, would they predominate or would the older headless version survive?

Probably both, to some extent, plus some Draugr that still have heads for some reason from enterprising horror writers who aren't interested in staying 100% consistent with the traditional interpretation.

I have no idea which interpretation would be the most prominent, though.

Draugr are essentially the Dead coming back to life to enact revenge or to finish what was left undone.

Norse Horror featuring Draugr, or a Draugr-like creature, would likely be less Zombies, and more sonething along the lines of Terminator or Jason Vorhees. A malicious, unstoppable, and merciless entity that pursues their victims with a determination, persistence and patience only the dead can bring forth. The Draugr won't stop until it's goal is finished, and nothing will keep it from acconplishing that. You can delay it, flee, maybe even contain the Draugr for some time, but it will break through and get you. And then... well, it will get what it wants.

Basically less Splatter Flick or Living Dead Movie and more Psycho Thriller, with a healthy dose of Implacable Man tropes.

Something that keeps happening in horror movies is the monster attacks sinners. In old Norse stories, bad things also sometimes happened as a consequence of doing bad things. Monsters can go after people who failed to be help strangers or neighbors, and people who failed to feed their guests well. They can go after people who committed war crimes and people who were cowardly.