What were people responsible for firing nuclear weapons supposed to do afterwards in the Cold War?

During the Cold War (and today) what were the people in ICBM silos, submarines and bombers (Soviet and American) supposed to do after firing nuclear weapons in the event of a full nuclear war and how would they have fared assuming they survived the initial exchange?

Which position (silo, bomber or submarine) would have the best chance to survive in the aftermath of the war?

Last edited:
People in the silos were supposed to die. Submariners and bomber crews (who weren't doing a one way trip to double the range) had a chance to return to the nuclear wasteland that was once their country and waste their lives trying to find their loved ones - and failing because said loved ones had vaporized in a nuclear blast.

The bomber crews who had done a one way mission would probably eject once they've run out of fuel. And considering they'd do so over the country they've nuked, I wouldn't pity what would happen to them if found by survivors. Maybe some bombers would try to divert to neutral countries if they don't have enough fuel to return to the remains of their home country. Chances are, they'd also be lynched or put on trial for crimes against humanity if they land in a neutral country (which would have been overwhelmed by refugees, possibly dealing with massive fallout and pondering whether they'd be able to feed themselves in the aftermath).

Maybe submariners would try to reach far away neutral countries?

The bomber crews who had done a one way mission would probably eject once they've run out of fuel. And considering they'd do so over the country they've nuked, I wouldn't pity what would happen to them if found by survivors.
I know there are books about submarine crews surviving after a nuclear war but I really want to see a story where Soviet and American bomber crews try to survive in their respective enemy’s home country after they cease to be functioning nation states.

People in the silos were supposed to die. Submariners and bomber crews (who weren't doing a one way trip to double the range) had a chance to return to the nuclear wasteland that was once their country and waste their lives trying to find their loved ones - and failing because said loved ones had vaporized in a nuclear blast.

The bomber crews who had done a one way mission would probably eject once they've run out of fuel. And considering they'd do so over the country they've nuked, I wouldn't pity what would happen to them if found by survivors. Maybe some bombers would try to divert to neutral countries if they don't have enough fuel to return to the remains of their home country. Chances are, they'd also be lynched or put on trial for crimes against humanity if they land in a neutral country (which would have been overwhelmed by refugees, possibly dealing with massive fallout and pondering whether they'd be able to feed themselves in the aftermath).

Maybe submariners would try to reach far away neutral countries?
If its at or before the Cuban missile crisis the US crews who made it back to the US would be sort of ok. The Soviets only had the capability to hit the US a couple times. So while the US would suffer it would still be a functioning country.

marathag

Banned
While black comedy, _Dr. Strangelove_ is instructive to a point.
Suicide runs were not the plan ,but if that was needed, it would have been done.
Like a F-102 Deuce driver told me of his experience during the CMC, after expending all their missiles, and if there were still Russian planes on his scope and he had the fuel to reach them, planned on full burner approach and clip the canopy with his wingtip.
He figured he could get two more that way before the aircraft wouldn't fly so well anymore.

We were to go to secret locations where supplies were propositioned. These were crewed by females only and had stocks of frozen eggs so we could repopulate.
Just kidding. We never talked about it. The thought that you had just launched 16 (41 for Freedoms) or 24 (Tridents) missiles that were going to kill untold millions of basically innocent people was not something you wanted to think about. That and the fact that your family and country were probably all dead was sobering. It’s why you run drill after drill. So you’d perform the action if it came time to do it. Nuclear weapons are deterrents. You hope that you only have them to never have to use them.

UK sub crews were meant to find their way to Australia and/or New Zealand.

Assuming those countries weren't skidmarks on the wall either, I suppose.

During the Cold War (and today) what were the people in ICBM silos, submarines and bombers (Soviet and American) supposed to do after firing nuclear weapons in the event of a full nuclear war and how would they have fared assuming they survived the initial exchange?

Watch "The Day After"

. . . . were's complete confusion at the missile silo after launch with a heated argument about what to do next, lead by the actor who played Cowboy in "Full Metal Jacket"

I presume that's what would happen.

Also according to the docufilm "Countdown To Oblivion", the crews of the silos were told that after launching they were to make their way 'topside' to await a helicopter to pick them up and back to safety despite every crew knowing this to be absurd and they'd be killed by the incoming warheads.

FUN FACT!!!! . . . on the Minuteman III blast doors where the crew entered the bunker was painted a 'Domino Pizza' style box with Domino's replaced with the letters S.A.C!

It read underneath "Strategic Air Command. . . we'll deliver in 30 minutes, . . . . or your second ones free!"

Last edited:
An interview I saw once mentioned the bomber pilots plan. They were told of airfields in North Africa, or if they couldn't make it to fly to a neutral country for interment.

Last edited:

Which position (silo, bomber or submarine) would have the best chance to survive in the aftermath of the war?
My money would be on the sub surviving... Silo crew - fixed target, if you don't get out (and FAR out) in time, you're toast... Bomber - one-way mission, one way or the other... if the interceptors and SAM's don't get you on the way in, they may get you on the way out, and as noted above even if you get back to Terra Firma safely there's no guarantee of your survival for very long...
With a boomer, the ocean's a big place... head to somewhere in the southern hemisphere and wait for further orders (if any come) or await internment...

It's a very interesting question. I would be interested in a realistic timeline where nuclear war occurs, but turns out to be less destructive than previously expected. So like 75% of the population is dead, and 50% of the armed forces or something. The situation is clearly apocalyptic but there's enough left that the remaining army and government basically need to try and salvage things, but they have no plans because no one thought they'd get this far.

I guess the question would be, if all nukes flew, and half the army was left, would there be any attempt at a conventional war afterwards?

I guess the question would be, if all nukes flew, and half the army was left, would there be any attempt at a conventional war afterwards?
The chain of command would be mostly gone, so whatever is left over would be dependant on their standing orders or own initiative. Which probably means if there's an attempt at conventional war, it won't last very long.

RN SSBNs, after firing their missiles, would CHOP to COMSUBLANT.

That would seem to make sense (assuming they had fired all their SLBM's.) I doubt reloading them with new SLBM's for follow up missions was very likely to happen but presumably their torpedoes might have been useful.

My money would be on the sub surviving... Silo crew - fixed target, if you don't get out (and FAR out) in time, you're toast... Bomber - one-way mission, one way or the other... if the interceptors and SAM's don't get you on the way in, they may get you on the way out, and as noted above even if you get back to Terra Firma safely there's no guarantee of your survival for very long...
With a boomer, the ocean's a big place... head to somewhere in the southern hemisphere and wait for further orders (if any come) or await internment...

I wonder if there would have been any attempt on the part of SSBN's that had fired all their SLBM's to transition to a huter killer role (especially if there was any suspicion that opposing SSBN's may have had SLBM's left to fire ?)

I wonder if there would have been any attempt on the part of SSBN's that had fired all their SLBM's to transition to a huter killer role (especially if there was any suspicion that opposing SSBN's may have had SLBM's left to fire ?)
I think you have to assume that any enemy SSBNs you find still have missiles, even if you're not sure. Better that way than the other.

Now that is a possibility... I'd wonder though how effective it would be, assuming that much of the chain-of-command, coordination, and intelligence-gathering has likely been wiped out. They may just be hunting "in the dark" for awfully small needles in an awfully big haystack...

Boomers only carry maybe 120 days of food onboard. With the move to reverse osmosis units when the filters are gone they can’t even make fresh water.
Doubt it very much. Trident operate in the southern Atlantic. Soviet boomers way up north. There would be no way to coordinate with friendly SSNs. They might just shoot first and ask questions later. Plus the crews wouldn’t give a rats ass. The world is probably over. Loved ones all dead (families all live around the base). Would you want to sail up to the North Atlantic to hunt the evil Soviets after you fired 24 Trident missiles? Each with multiple warheads?

I know there are books about submarine crews surviving after a nuclear war but I really want to see a story where Soviet and American bomber crews try to survive in their respective enemy’s home country after they cease to be functioning nation states.
Could you recommend any for me?