What South American countries could the CSA get?

althisfan

Banned
Nicaragua is part of North America. Definitions of South America, at most, extend to Panama.
And user: Frustrated Progressive, to whom I was responding, said Central America was implausible; I used the term implausible in response. Please read what I was responding to before commenting something that is wrong trying to prove that I made a mistake that I did not make.

The only colonies that would make sense for the CSA would be Cuba (#1 priority) and possibly Central America (Guatemala, Honduras & El Salvador). Since a victorious Confederacy would have settled the slave question, all 4 of these countries would have been a great benefit to them in expanding slave-based agriculture.

The US had made attempts to purchase Cuba from Spain before the Civil War. These all failed because Cuba would have entered as a slave state, upsetting the balance between slave & free states.

Walker did not initially fail in Nicaragua; he was, and still is numbered, as one of their presidents. He ruled the country. It took a foreign invasion to remove him.
Temporary filibustering success does not a stable new regime make.

And besides, Walker was allowed to shamble on the international stage for so long because he was utterly irrelevant, because he had no backing great power and no real army behind him. The CSA, however, would be significant enough that the other powers couldn't ignore their efforts, couldn't count on the locals to drive them out and thus the Europeans would have done so themselves, with almost no chance of the CSA being strong enough to shake them off.

The only colonies that would make sense for the CSA would be Cuba (#1 priority) and possibly Central America (Guatemala, Honduras & El Salvador). Since a victorious Confederacy would have settled the slave question, all 4 of these countries would have been a great benefit to them in expanding slave-based agriculture.

The US had made attempts to purchase Cuba from Spain before the Civil War. These all failed because Cuba would have entered as a slave state, upsetting the balance between slave & free states.

Where would the CSA get the money to buy Cuba? The central government can barely levy taxes and even then, the southern economy is agrarian and anemic. Also there's no way the CSA could beat Spain in a war, especially since the Cubans would side with Spain over the Southerners. That's not even taking into account the vastly superior Spanish navy.

Regarding filibustering: Mexico and the US would loooove to fund fights against CSA invasions. It would be an amazing way to drain the CSA on a budget. The CSA involving itself in Central America would probably drive Mexico and the USA into each other's arms, making the only two countries in the continent bigger than it hostile. God imagine how pathetic the Confederate economy and military would be after 20 years of failed invasions from Haiti to Guatemala.

Marc

Donor
At this point, it finally occurred to me that is what is happening is a sudden welter of semi-ludicrous threads about a successful expansive South, which is most likely just a chain jerk...

At this point, it finally occurred to me that is what is happening is a sudden welter of semi-ludicrous threads about a successful expansive South, which is most likely just a chain jerk...

Now that I've checked, this is not the second, but the fourth such thread on this general subject from the same poster, all created since Saturday. Seems excessive, to say the least.

*They can grab the Dominican Republic by assuming control of its debts about 1868, potentially without firing a shot.
*They can grab onto Guatemala and perhaps Honduras or Nicaragua soon thereafter
*Perhaps it organizes 'preferred trade' nations with up-and-comers or tries for associations more than outright colonies?

Last edited:
*They can grab the Dominican Republic by assuming control of its debts about 1868, potentially without firing a shot.

Would the CSA have that kind of money? I assume they'd be dealing with the fallout of the war, and they don't exactly scream financial superpower.

dcharles

Banned
Where would the CSA get the money to buy Cuba? The central government can barely levy taxes and even then, the southern economy is agrarian and anemic.

Barley levy taxes? That isn't supported by history or law.

And the South's economy wasn't anemic--by any stretch--nor was it unusually agrarian. I mean, the Confederacy had the third largest railroad network in the world in 1860 with about 9500 miles. Spain had 2000 miles of railway during that same period.

Also there's no way the CSA could beat Spain in a war, especially since the Cubans would side with Spain over the Southerners. That's not even taking into account the vastly superior Spanish navy.

Vastly superior to what? You know what, forget that part. Even if we posit that the CS economy is no better than Spain's, which is questionable, Cuba is 90 miles away from the Confederacy. It's on the other side of the world in relation to Spain. That fact alone makes a war between the two states over Cuba far more difficult for Spain.

Bismarck would definitely sell it. Otherwise, the Confederate Navy would just go down the Rhine and make an amphibious assault in Strassbourg.

Sell? No need for that. Everyone would recognize the usefulness of a neutral buffer state between France and Germany.

Confederate Alsace-Lorraine.
Don't forget the Confederacy guaranteeing the neutrality of the Saarland after WW1.

(I felt a great disturbance in the Board, as if millions of butterflies suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.)

Don't forget the Confederacy guaranteeing the neutrality of the Saarland after WW1.

(I felt a great disturbance in the Board, as if millions of butterflies suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.)

2drus8.jpg