What South American countries could the CSA get?

Big differences between the CSA and USA here which I don't think gets covered enough; the Confederacy taxed cotton exports. They also instituted a 1% and later 5% taxation on slave holdings, which is a big deal considering those were valued at around $3 Billion in the wider South in 1860.
1965 is not 1860 and it will take a long, long time for slave prices to get that far up again as the CSA has no cash.

Either case. If Cuba is so weak that it can be taken over by the CSA , it can be taken by the USA even easier. Why would the US allow the CS to take it over ?
Well, it was after the south underwent a period of strong militaristic build-up. Also, the timeline was probably not that great.....
You could check it out to see how it goes down. If you want.

Well, it was after the south underwent a period of strong militaristic build-up. Also, the timeline was probably not that great.....
You could check it out to see how it goes down. If you want.

You were a newbie at the time so it is understandable that it wasn't the best. FiliOfDelphi was wrong about one thing, Douglas was NOT pro-Southern as regards to Kansas. He was strongly against the pro-slavery Lecompton Constitution https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lecompton_Constitution/ it was simply a "bridge too far" for Douglas who was pro-Southern up to that point.

Big differences between the CSA and USA here which I don't think gets covered enough; the Confederacy taxed cotton exports. They also instituted a 1% and later 5% taxation on slave holdings, which is a big deal considering those were valued at around $3 Billion in the wider South in 1860.

During the war, yes. I was just pointing to the fact that extrapolating a taxation and spending structure built to sustain a total war machine to peacetime isn't really honest, and we don't have any data to go off for how an independent Confederacy would operate when not gearing up for a fight to the death it's fair to raise a giant question mark. It's no more honest to say their economy would quickly collapse, as detractors sometimes claim, based on streching out the unsustainable economic measures they were taking from 61-65

During the war, yes. I was just pointing to the fact that extrapolating a taxation and spending structure built to sustain a total war machine to peacetime isn't really honest, and we don't have any data to go off for how an independent Confederacy would operate when not gearing up for a fight to the death it's fair to raise a giant question mark. It's no more honest to say their economy would quickly collapse, as detractors sometimes claim, based on streching out the unsustainable economic measures they were taking from 61-65

It wasn't just unsustainable economic measures but the fact that the war ruined the South and it would have a great, big, rich , pissed off neighbor right next door.

1965 is not 1860 and it will take a long, long time for slave prices to get that far up again as the CSA has no cash.

I would certainly hope slave prices in 1965 are low in the CSA, namely because I would hope by then slavery is extinguished. As for the contemporary times of a CS victory ATL, even in 1864 they were able to collect around $110 Million off the tax despite the general collapse over the course of the year.

Export taxes and slave holding taxation were passed by CS Congress in early 1861, both before the fighting had even begun IIRC.

I would certainly hope slave prices in 1965 are low in the CSA, namely because I would hope by then slavery is extinguished. As for the contemporary times of a CS victory ATL, even in 1864 they were able to collect around $110 Million off the tax despite the general collapse over the course of the year.

Export taxes and slave holding taxation were passed by CS Congress in early 1861, both before the fighting had even begun IIRC.

Typo. And that $110 million was CS dollars which wasn't worth much.

Typo. And that $110 million was CS dollars which wasn't worth much.

It was enough to fund a lot of the governmental needs that year, and would be more than sufficient in a peace time situation given the pre-war budget for the entirety of the United States was $60 Million.

Deleted member 109224

The Cunani Conflict results in a Franco-Brazilian War in which France grabs all of Brazil up to the Madeira and Amazon Rivers.

The Confederates somehow get this land from France down the line. Maybe they side with Britain in a Fashoda War.

Otherwise, no. CSA will not be able to get any South american territory.

Reactions: wtw
How about the South breaks up and the Republic of Texas is taken back by Mexico?
Amusing thought.

I see that as quite possible. The CSA government was practically designed to crack up and when it did Texas would have a tough time defending itself against Mexico.

I see that as quite possible. The CSA government was practically designed to crack up and when it did Texas would have a tough time defending itself against Mexico.

If Mexico started making mean looks you'd see Texas running back to Uncle Sam like the progenal son,and they'd be more than happy to oblige in defending their restored state. And we get a repraive of the Halls of Montazuma.

If anybody in that Congress dident at least think they needed to at least hedge their bets and make a showing of their resolve by setting aside the money to raise and sustain a wartime army, I'd be surprised. Just because the actual shooting hadent started dosen't mean they weren't designing the initial budget with war at the forefront of their minds