What should the United States, Britain, and France, have done differently regarding Germany, and Europe, at the End of World War One?

• Thread starter Deleted member 145219
  • Start date
There is always discussion at what point a conquest is seen as legitimate, but this would be the shortest time I have ever heard of. It is also a problem from a moral point of view: It would leave France with territories conquered in the wars by the same guy the 7th coalition was to end, territories that were forced to provide soldiers for wars not their own. It is a bit like letting a bank robber keep some of his loot as he successfully deposited it in another bank.
I will note that while the conquests in Italy (Savoy excepted) were the results of the actions of Napoleon, that was not the case of the conquests in the Rhine and Low Countries. The French had been trying to annex the Low Countries since 1792 and the Cisrhenan Republic arguably could have been restored if you were out to just cancel Napoleon.
The enemy of the Coalition however was less Napoleon and more the legacy of the Revolution; nevertheless, I consider that the removal of the Rhineland and Belgium makes Versailles significantly more lenient than the peace of Vienna. The equivalent would have been creating a Rhenish Republic and then put Poland's western border on the Oder-Neisse.

Wolf1965

Donor
I will note that while the conquests in Italy (Savoy excepted) were the results of the actions of Napoleon, that was not the case of the conquests in the Rhine and Low Countries. The French had been trying to annex the Low Countries since 1792 and the Cisrhenan Republic arguably could have been restored if you were out to just cancel Napoleon.
The enemy of the Coalition however was less Napoleon and more the legacy of the Revolution; nevertheless, I consider that the removal of the Rhineland and Belgium makes Versailles significantly more lenient than the peace of Vienna. The equivalent would have been creating a Rhenish Republic and then put Poland's western border on the Oder-Neisse.
That is a view that is probably held by very few. It would leave France a lot better off than before it started the wars that tore through the continent for nearly 20 years and the conquests were very few. If public votes on whom these countries wanted these people belong to were a thing in 1815, how do you believe the Germans in these parts would have voted?

That is a view that is probably held by very few. It would leave France a lot better off than before it started the wars that tore through the continent for nearly 20 years and the conquests were very few. If public votes on whom these countries wanted these people belong to were a thing in 1815, how do you believe the Germans in these parts would have voted?
The Germans would definitely not have voted for a continued union with France, that's for certain. I believe an independent Rhenish Republic or independent Duchy within the German confederation would likely have been favored over union with Prussia or Austria.

While I like learning things about history, and am trying to get folks to take a good, long, honest look that how really bad ToV was (and really, not just ToV but all the other things that were done to Germany post WWI), so that we can all see just how wrong headed things were, so we can come up with a better peace treaty, and thus a better peace post war.

I may be wrong, but I thought that was the point of this thread, to look at different ways the peace could have been forged. That being said, I would ask why you are painting the ToV as being a lesser evil than some other treaty from like ~100 years before the time period in question?

Don't get me wrong, this stuff is indeed interesting (and yet another thing about which I know nothing), but could I ask your opinion about a comparison of two contemporary treaties instead, namely the ToV compared to B/L? These two treaties were very close together in the timeline, and both came out of WWI and it's aftermath.

For that matter, can anyone tell me (with links) all the different things done against Germany post WWI, that may not have been part of the ToV, but which were part of the whole package nonetheless?.

For me, everything that was done to Germany needs to be lumped into the ToV, so we can all see the total mess of things made by (Primarily) France, but also by Britain as well. Some things I want folks to consider:

1) The Germans were not allowed a seat at the table while the terms were being negotiated, rather, they were simply informed that they had to 'take it or leave it', and the war and blockade would continue until they did. This alone should get folks to understand that the ToV was never designed nor intended to create a "Just and lasting Peace", but rather to impose harsh terms on, and to weaken Germany. This will of course lead to a new war, it can do naught else.

2) The blockade of foodstuffs to Germany was never allowed to be brought up, despite the many things wrong with it, like interfering with neutral rights, and that it constituted a crime against humanity that historically has never been acknowledged nor compensated for (or punished/condemned) properly as such.

3) The use of non-combatants to fire upon, attempt to ram, or broadcasting the location of German submarines attempting to stop and inspect Entente shipping constituted turning them into de facto naval auxiliaries (and thereby combatants), and thus exempt from the protections of non-combatant vessels with regard to sinking without warning.

4) The loss of the German Empire's colonies. The complete loss of all colonies, and the hugh slap in the face that this is, cannot be overemphasized. This alone is a huge humiliation and loss of prestige, power, and international standing, and a very bitter pill for the German people to have to swallow, let alone have it being imposed without any negotiations at all.

5) The ridiculous 100,000 man army size. Germany fielded what, 11,000,000 men in the course of WWI, compared to Frances 7,500,000 men and the British 6,000,000 men? This is also a worthless part of the imposed terms, and meant to shame Germany, and keep her to weak to fight back against any future nonsense. This has no place even being discussed in a treaty that is supposed to make a "Just and lasting Peace", and this can only antagonize the whole of the German population.

6) The chopping down of the German navy to ships with no more than 10,000 tons displacement, nor guns larger than 11", let alone the numbers and makeup overall. Anything of this kind should have been done at the WNC, and been mutually agreed upon by all parties. The fact that this was instead imposed as a condition for the farcical 'peace' treaty and lifting of the blockade is just further proof of the wrongheadedness of the Entente powers at the time.

7) Stealing all the German patents! I guess this is not widely known/thought of, but after WWI, the Entente basically helped themselves to all the proprietary technologies that the German nation held pre-war. Outright theft, and limiting the profits to the German economy when that economy is the one that is supposed to foot the bill for rebuilding war ravaged areas, and the Reparations themselves, this is madness.

8) Forbidding the Germans, post war, from selling their manufactured goods in Britain and France, also weakens the German economy, and likewise that economies ability to pay.

9) No German submarines! In perpetuity, and without any recognition of the causes for USW being the fault of the British, let along anything being put in place to prevent such a crime against humanity such as blockading foodstuffs, from ever being attempted again (obviously, the submarines were the only option for Germany to try to return the favor to the British people), and thus should have been not only allowed, but required to be recognized as "fair play" in a world where starving a nation's people is overlooked and swept under the rug, No international guarantee that foodstuffs will never again be interfered with, like every nation on Earth immediately declares war on such a nation that ever tries this strategy kind of guarantee, no restrictions on any nation targeted by such can be allowed, and they have every right to sink such a blockading nations merchantmen without notice.

10) No German airforce! In perpetuity, and without any reciprocal restrictions on other nations. Not conductive to a "Just and Lasting Peace", and yet another example of how not to make a peace that you want to last, and yet another reason for another war.

Before I take a nap, I would like to ask folks, say that we can all agree that cutting the Germans navy down was both wrong and stupid, what would their ratio have looked like at the WNC/WNT? Historically, we had the 5 : 5 : 3 : 1.75 : 1.75 ratios, but where would/should the Germans have been fitted in? 5:5:3:3? but the Germans were ahead of the Japanese industrially, so perhaps 5:5:4:3 would have been a better ratio? think about this, and let me know what you think.

I'm already feeling tired, so even though I haven't gotten to the really rotten stuff that underlies all of this, I need a nap before going there, let alone trying to discuss ways to fix all these things.

Last edited:
We need to start off with no disarmament of Germany.

France can want all that it wants, but starting off with that sets limits that might just prevent WWII. France won't be happy, but a happy France leads to WWII, so...

As a bit of a historical recap and reason the French Empire hated and wanted revenge on the German Empire:
When the Franco-Prussian war started (by France declaring war), the Germans decisively defeated the army of the French second empire and captured the French Emperor Napoleon III, and were ready to end it, but the French were not, and decided to drag things out.

The French mobilized, then the Germans did as well.
The French invaded German territory on Aug 2nd, and the Germans invaded NE France on Aug 4th.
The siege of Metz (Aug 19 - Oct 27, 1870) was the major battle of the opening of this war, and should really have been the end of it as well, as during this seige,
The Battle of Sedan (Sep 1-2, 1870) led to the crushing of the French army of 130,000, by 104,000 surrendering and being taken as prisoners of war by the Germans, as well as the French Emperor himself. Now at this point in the war, the French Army of Chalons (130,000 men) were trying to rescue the Army of the Rhine (154,000 men), after they had been defeated and retreated to Metz and were besieged there. With the defeat of this 2nd, relieving army, the fate of the bigger but trapped army was sealed, but they held off surrendering until Oct 27th.

So, as a brief recap, the war starts on July 19, 1870, and by Oct 27, 2 french armies have been lost, and the war could (and really should) have ended right then and there, and the total cost would have been for fighting just over a 3 month war.

Most sane folks, with their armies defeated (with ~260,00 dead or captured), their leader captured, and no clear path to victory remaining, would just admit defeat, and ask for terms, right? But oh no, not France, so what did they do? They decided to raise a new army, and continue fighting a lost cause.

It must be in this context that we look at WWI, and decide if France should be allowed to 'break' Germany.

Germany lost the war, but France did not conquer Germany, rather, they managed, with lots of help, to not get conquered by Germany, and given the populations and industrial output of the two nations, any peace treaty should not include German disarmament.

Had France crushed Germany, one-on-one, then sure, but when France only survived because of some ~20,000,000 million allied troops keeping her from falling, I see no reason to entertain any thoughts that Germany needs to be broken, so that France can pretend to not only be Germany's equal, but her better, that is just nuts, and any such peace will lead to another war.
Germany didn't force France to reduce its military in 1871, but other than that? According to the Treaty of Frankfurt the French had to pay very huge reparations, and until all of it was payed, the german troops occupied much of northern France and at french cost. Just imagine the way Germany would be butthurt about the french occupation of Germany after ww1, huh. Speaking of the franco-prussian war, France too had the communist uprising due to being exhausted by war, yet the French didn't turn into dictatorship searching for communist conspirators. As for the British Blockade, it was bad, but Germany could just surrender sooner, just like the French could surrender sooner in 1871 instead of dooming the people of besieged Paris for starvation.

It all comes down to the fact that some people (you too?) think that the nasty aspects of war somehow shouldn't apply to Germany, because Germany's good militaristic performance somehow makes Germany too magnificent to taste the less comfortable aspects of war the way some pathetic mortals do.

not the actual peace being anything too dramatic (Germany got off pretty light compared to other powers
No, Germany didn't "get off light". Not in any way, shape or form did Germany get off lightly, and in no way was the French treatment after their failure in the F/P war in any way comparable (let alone worse) than Germany's .
Why do you cut the full text Hastings wrote? "Germany got off pretty light compared to other powers Allied and Central forced to surrender in WWI". This statement of his is true: Germany lost little, unlike Austria-Hungary and the Ottoman Empire who were completely destroyed.

So, thrill me with your evidence that the ToV (and to be honest, all the other 'treaties' that were imposed upon Germany post WWI), were somehow NOT a cause/contributing factor in us going from WWI to WWII? I look forwards to your making a spirited attempt at this...
What other treaties?

Last edited:
At which point France tells them to fuck off, writes off the debts that Britain and America are owed and does as it likes.
A bold strategy for a nation desperately in need of capital to repair its ravaged land and allies to pad out its eviscerated manpower

A bold strategy for a nation desperately in need of capital to repair its ravaged land and allies to pad out its eviscerated manpower

More the natural reaction of a nation that suffered too much and that will depose in a picosecond any goverment that accept that wihtout fight back at that kind of offense; basically the USA (the UK is more or less in the same page of France in term of diplomatic power) have a lot of leverage...but not that kind of leverage, it's not WW2.

More the natural reaction of a nation that suffered too much and that will depose in a picosecond any goverment that accept that wihtout fight back at that kind of offense; basically the USA (the UK is more or less in the same page of France in term of diplomatic power) have a lot of leverage...but not that kind of leverage, it's not WW2.
Then I'm sure France will enjoy the next twenty years until either the germans or soviets come knocking friendless and destitute. But at least they got one up on those damn anglos...

Then I'm sure France will enjoy the next twenty years until either the germans or soviets come knocking friendless and destitute. But at least they got one up on those damn anglos...
Oh as the Anglos will be happy to later face the German and the soviet right in front of them and the USA getting a nice kick on their reproductive organs on the economic side...as said this is not WW2, the USA don't have all the cards to do that and the British even less (as frankly they are more or less on the same boat) but they are too in love with their fabled 'balance of power' to even contemplate that but even them know that they can't push France that way

Oh as the Anglos will be happy to later face the German and the soviet right in front of them and the USA getting a nice kick on their reproductive organs on the economic side...as said this is not WW2, the USA don't have all the cards to do that and the British even less (as frankly they are more or less on the same boat) but they are too in love with their fabled 'balance of power' to even contemplate that but even them know that they can't push France that way
I think you are seriously overestimating France's position in 1918/19. Them going 'nuh uh' to its debts is going to enrage the British (the only friend France has left after russia caught a bad case of communism) and piss off the Americans who aren't going to be extending an economic lifeline to france again for a long long time

France will have to try and enforce any terms it puts on Germany (likely plummeting into a civil war thanks to the terms France wants) alone, with no money in bank, a chunk of the country shattered by war, its male population gutted and exhausted, and the only other great powers of note still standing either indifferent to it or furious at it.

I'd give it a few years before France has to pick those debts back up with interest if it wants to get back a seat at the international table

Last edited:
Capital its going to have to provide for itself ANYWAY since now the British and Americans are insisting France can’t charge Germany reparations for the vast damage inflicted on its countryside by the war, and will still be insisting France pay its debts.

They’ll almost certainly ally with the Soviets since Britain has proven itself to be completely worthless as an ally. And what exactly do you think Britain is going to be? It will be quite friendless on the continent, and indeed the globe following such a public and pointless betrayal, and also quite broke since it has no reparations OR loan repayments to pay down its own debts.

Last edited:
Capital its going to have to provide for itself ANYWAY since now the British and Americans are insisting France can’t charge Germany reparations for the vast damage inflicted on its countryside by the war, and will still be insisting France pay its debts.
Except in that situation France has just flipped the two biggest creditors on the planet the bird, and you can only squeeze so much blood from a stone.

They’ll almost certainly ally with the Soviets since Britain has proven itself to be completely worthless as an ally. And what exactly do you think Britain is going to be? It will be quite friendless on the continent, and indeed the globe following such a public and pointless betrayal, and also quite broke since it has no reparations OR loan repayments to pay down its own debts.
They can certainly try that alliance. And as for Britain how different is that from OTL anyway?
France proved to be a pretty lacklustre ally come WW2 and the WW1 war debt never got paid of before the depression and WW2 came round

Anyway, I didn't say I agree with the very original post, only that France trying to renege on its debt because it wasn't given free reign to do what it wants to germany would be shooting itself in the foot