What if these 2 aircraft meet in combat ….

So in this thread would like to discuss the scenario of 2 aircraft meeting each other in a fictional air battle
Some rules
1- post 1945
2 - can be any kind of aircraft ( not necessarily fighters )
3 1 vs 1 with no supporting aircraft (AWACS or GCI is allowed though )
4 you are free to decide the circumstances of the engagement

I’ll start
MiG-25P vs F-4E

If F-4 is flying MIGCAP the result is likely a draw the mig25 will escape but it would not be able to shoot down the F-4

If Mig25 is the interceptor and F-4 is flying an attack mission it’s likely the F-4 will be defeated

Last edited:
Well right off the bat I can say that F-15/Mig-29 are off the table. I've SEEN that one and frankly can't tell which one "won" but they kept at it for about an hour.

I have no idea how these would play out, but

A-7E v A-4M
F-111D v Su-24 (did the Fencer ever carry A2A missiles/cannon?)
Ka-50 v AH-1W
AC-130A v A-1H
YF-12A v XB-70

I believe that Israeli F-4s attempted to intercept reconnaissance MIG-25 multiple times and could never get close enough for a solution
Right and in Iran Iraq war , both engagements were won by mig25s
However mig25P missiles might be relatively easier to evade for F4E ( as compared to missiles of mig25PD)

I remember vaguely an article talking about a test in the 60s between a EE Lightning and a Spitfire.

In short, the Spitfire out turned the Lightning comfortably if the Lightning was at low speed, but all the lightning pilot needed to do was push the throttles forward and the Spit had no hope of keeping up long enough to get a shot in. The Lightning's best course of action was steep climbing attacks from below or diving attacks.

edit: found it

DH Vampire mk1 v He 162A.

Both use a lot of wood both have a short range and both are very difficult if not impossible to bail out of.

I remember vaguely an article talking about a test in the 60s between a EE Lightning and a Spitfire.

In short, the Spitfire out turned the Lightning comfortably if the Lightning was at low speed, but all the lightning pilot needed to do was push the throttles forward and the Spit had no hope of keeping up long enough to get a shot in. The Lightning's best course of action was steep climbing attacks from below or diving attacks.

edit: found it

In short: Never Dogfight the Zero 2.0

F14 with Phoenix vs Mig 25. Although we saw USN Tomcats vs Libyan Foxbats in the Gulf of Sidra, a more interesting one would be Iranian vs Soviet. So less well trained Tomcat drivers vs Soviets flying full-fat, well maintained Foxbats (not export monkey versions).
Although I did find Iran vs Iraq (https://theaviationgeekclub.com/tom...-learned-shoot-mig-25-mach-3-fighter-jet/amp/) , where the Phoenix was successfully used against bomb armed Mig 25RB, I tend to think a Soviet ‘25 interceptor would be a more equal fight, especially at range.

He 162 had a Heinkel designed ejection seat and the He 219 had been using them for some years. My money’s on the Vampire - better pilot, engine quality and better built. Oh, and we actually had fuel to burn.

F14 with Phoenix vs Mig 25. Although we saw USN Tomcats vs Libyan Foxbats in the Gulf of Sidra, a more interesting one would be Iranian vs Soviet. So less well trained Tomcat drivers vs Soviets flying full-fat, well maintained Foxbats (not export monkey versions).
Although I did find Iran vs Iraq (https://theaviationgeekclub.com/tom...-learned-shoot-mig-25-mach-3-fighter-jet/amp/) , where the Phoenix was successfully used against bomb armed Mig 25RB, I tend to think a Soviet ‘25 interceptor would be a more equal fight, especially at range.
AFAIK
one F-14 was downed by a mig25pd
And 3 mig25 by F-14