What if the US found actually found Nuke’s in Iraq?

The Invasion Iraq happens... and then the US actually finds Nuke’s. What happens next?

Edit: basically Bush thinks he is lying but they actually come across one what happens?

Last edited:
Is this like a nuke planted there by the CIA or something? Because Iraq’s window for building a nuclear weapon ended in 1991.

Then there would be no invasion. But they knew perfectly well that Iraq had no nukes, the invasion was started because of chemical weapons (they knew that they have not that too, but they needed SOME reason ).

I image that unless they have a no-shit functional bomb, the scenario plays out much like it did in OTL. Anything that could be legitimately dangerous either gets buried or shipped across the border into Syria the moment the big-wigs in the Baath party realize the jig is up. Lots of circumstantial evidence of sketchy dealings will be found but without a "smoking gun" (or a mushroom cloud cloud appearing over 1st MEF) the dominant narrative will still be "Bush lied people died". Some of the material might surface during the Syrian Civil War (a dirty bomb perhaps) but by then Obama will be president and CNN isn't really going to care.

WMDs were a convenient excuse, nothing more. Iraq after 1991 was a shambles and all their programmes were ended. Their problem was they didn't keep all the paperwork up to the standard, an impossible standard, demanded by the US Government.

If there was a nuke, it would probably have been used. Which in fact would make for a very interesting timeline where the whole WMD thing is proven by a major US force being utterly destroyed. How would the invasion proceed in such a situation? Or would the Americans go full nuclear?

We know they had Chemical weapons, they used them against the Kurds and I have a very harrowing letter from a relative who was deployed (He was in Four-Five Commando) to Northern Iraq after the Gulf War where he describes patrolling through villages strewn with dead civilians, still lying where they fell.

Still his story of fishing with a Russian hand grenade is very very funny

You cannot fid what you cannot access. I doubt Iraq had nukes, and I think the Bush team overstated their case, but inspectors not having found them in the lead up to the war is not in and of itself sufficient proof that they never existed. Inspectors can only go where they are granted access.

You cannot fid what you cannot access. I doubt Iraq had nukes, and I think the Bush team overstated their case, but inspectors not having found them in the lead up to the war is not in and of itself sufficient proof that they never existed. Inspectors can only go where they are granted access.
Which actually leads to an interesting question: How could they ever have proven that they didn't have them at all? Especially because it's only logical that they wouldn't give access to everything. If only for security reasons.

We know they had Chemical weapons, they used them against the Kurds ...

There was a very funny joke at the times in the french satirical puppet show "Les Guignols de l'info".

During the joke, an US official stated "we have proof the Iraqi have chemical weapons, look at those documents here, they ordered those weapons from us, and we delivered a few years ago"

Then a second official interrupted him saying "Stop the invasion, we are making a terrible mistake"

"What, they don't have chemical weapons ?" asked the first official

The second official answered : "sure they have the weapons, but they purchased on credit and have 12 monthly payments left to make, so we can't invade them now"

There was a very funny joke at the times in the french satirical puppet show "Les Guignols de l'info".

During the joke, an US official stated "we have proof the Iraqi have chemical weapons, look at those documents here, they ordered those weapons from us, and we delivered a few years ago"

Then a second official interrupted him saying "Stop the invasion, we are making a terrible mistake"

"What, they don't have chemical weapons ?" asked the first official

The second official answered : "sure they have the weapons, but they purchased on credit and have 12 monthly payments left to make, so we can't invade them now"
That sounded like a Bill Hicks joke I once heard

President Bush "How do we know they have all this stuff?"

General "We checked the receipts"

President Bush "Oh right, what time do the cheques clear?"

General "11 am tomorrow"

President Bush "Excellent we will launch the invasion at 12"

Which actually leads to an interesting question: How could they ever have proven that they didn't have them at all? Especially because it's only logical that they wouldn't give access to everything. If only for security reasons.
It's fair question. I also think that Iraq wanted the appearance of having WMD to be curtail Iran and exploit donor nations/get sanctions lifted.

I'd wonder how the hell they got them and how the UN didn't notice that... it's kind of hard to hide a nuclear weapons program.

I'd wonder how the hell they got them and how the UN didn't notice that... it's kind of hard to hide a nuclear weapons program.
I’m personally of the opinion that it would have massively discredited the UN and then we have SARS. Iran‘s nuclear program gets a lot more international attention just don’t want to have another Iraq. We probably also see a lot more military personnel sent to the Middle East. Iraq probably gets militarily occupied. A lot of other countries in the area suddenly find themselves under massive scrutiny.

Last edited: