What if the computer is never invented?

How would events in history be affected by the lack of computers and what would be the long term result such a gap in technological progress?

Chapman

Donor
To never have computers invented at all would require some huge butterflies, IMO. Technological progress isn't necessarily a straight line, so it's not a given that computers "as we know them", so to speak, would always exist. But I do think it's a given that, as time goes on and technology evolves in any form, machines used for increasingly complex calculations will come into existence. That said, though, if no such machines do come into existence, the pace of technological progress will be much much slower. Not only due to those complex calculations, that'll take longer to solve, but the inability to communicate as quickly as we can with computers.

kernals12

Banned
Living standards in the first world would be largely stagnant after 1960 once the gains from electricity, mass production, and internal combustion engines are exhausted. I don't believe we could've sent humans into space without computers.

Butterflying out personal computers would be easier than getting rid of computers altogether. But, I would argue, that this is still hard.

However, mechanical computing devices have been around since Classical times.

I don't see people avoiding computers. Demand for atomation in industry all but gurantees them. You have to go back and remove the development of electrical engineering completely to butterfly this away.

I find it hard to believe you wouldn't get one of those room-sized computers at some point. It's just too useful to have around for so many purposes (engineering, military, etc.). An early computer is a logical advancement of finding easier ways to do math that began thousands of years ago with the abacus, in the form of combining it with electricity and vacuum tubes.

Living standards in the first world would be largely stagnant after 1960 once the gains from electricity, mass production, and internal combustion engines are exhausted. I don't believe we could've sent humans into space without computers.

Why wouldn't it be possible to send people into space without computers? If you have a room full of computers (people whose job title is computer that is), you can solve the complex math and physics problems needed to shoot a person into orbit and retrieve them safely.

And while computers are integral to modern society nowadays and have been since the 90s at latest, I don't see how first-world living standards would necessarily be stagnant. You still have typewriters, fax machines, mechanical calculators, and cell phones, which will gradually filter their way into businesses and homes as production costs go down.

kernals12

Banned
I find it hard to believe you wouldn't get one of those room-sized computers at some point. It's just too useful to have around for so many purposes (engineering, military, etc.). An early computer is a logical advancement of finding easier ways to do math that began thousands of years ago with the abacus, in the form of combining it with electricity and vacuum tubes.

Why wouldn't it be possible to send people into space without computers? If you have a room full of computers (people whose job title is computer that is), you can solve the complex math and physics problems needed to shoot a person into orbit and retrieve them safely.

And while computers are integral to modern society nowadays and have been since the 90s at latest, I don't see how first-world living standards would necessarily be stagnant. You still have typewriters, fax machines, mechanical calculators, and cell phones, which will gradually filter their way into businesses and homes as production costs go down.
We had typewriters in the 50s already and fax machines are digital technologies.

We had typewriters in the 50s already and fax machines are digital technologies.

Typewriters got way better as time went on though, and cheaper, as tech tends to. Fax machines are a 19th century technology, although the first efficient ones weren't until the 1960s--I'm pretty sure you can have a Xerox machine without computers.

Perhaps another good question would be ... "What if the microchip had not been invented?"

Painting quickly with a very broad brush, perhaps many civilizations on other planets never got around to the micro processor. What would their technology be like? They hit the wall. Never jumped over it. We have. Yikes! :)

I don't see people avoiding computers. Demand for atomation in industry all but gurantees them. You have to go back and remove the development of electrical engineering completely to butterfly this away.
Even the absence of electricity won't do the job. Babbage's Difference and Analytical engines come to rule the world.

marathag

Banned
Perhaps another good question would be ... "What if the microchip had not been invented?"

You can do Computers without the microchip
backplanes.jpg

Backplane of a late '60s Minicomputer, the PDP-8 from DEC

I used to work on that syle of 'Big Iron' for Sperry, those yellow traces are 30 guage wire making the circuit, and this was all done by hand.
pcb2.jpg
zoomed in on a later board.
Wirewrapping didn't go away till the late '70s.

Thats one of the reason why these guys took up so much room.

And the Pantelograph since the 1860's

The pantelegraph (Italian: pantelegrafo; French: pantélégraphe) was an early form of facsimile machine transmitting over normal telegraph lines developed by Giovanni Caselli, used commercially in the 1860s, that was the first such device to enter practical service, It could transmit handwriting, signatures, or drawings within an area of up to 150 × 100 mm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantelegraph
Don't forget the mimeograph.

Painting quickly with a very broad brush, perhaps many civilizations on other planets never got around to the micro processor. What would their technology be like? They hit the wall. Never jumped over it. We have. Yikes! :)

Now I'm picturing computers so massive they have to be put in orbiting space stations like in 2001.