What if Queen Elizabeth of York lived?

Really? I thought she might convince Henry to keep trying for a son with Catheirne or something. Although I should’ve expected that (she was basically afraid of making political moves)

I don't think anyone can suggest that Catherine and Henry did not *try* for a son. She had at least 6 known pregnancies over an 8 year period and that probably overlooks early miscarriages which were not documented - it is interesting to me that between the birth of Henry Prince of Wales in Jan 1511 she did not officially conceive again until late 1512.

I don't think there is any evidence that Henry stopped sleeping with Catherine in 1518, the year of her last pregnancy.

I don't think anyone can suggest that Catherine and Henry did not *try* for a son. She had at least 6 known pregnancies over an 8 year period and that probably overlooks early miscarriages which were not documented - it is interesting to me that between the birth of Henry Prince of Wales in Jan 1511 she did not officially conceive again until late 1512.

I don't think there is any evidence that Henry stopped sleeping with Catherine in 1518, the year of her last pregnancy.
I know and I agree with you they stopped trying in the 1520s, I meant Elizabeth might convince Henry to keep trying in the 1520s.

Oh okay, I thought they had stopped before she reached menopause.
Well, I'm just guessing that they stopped when she hit menopause. Catherine and all of her close female relatives (her mom, her sisters, even her nieces) stopped having children once they hit their early-mid thirties (32-35), which points to a declining fertility afterwards, and it lines up with when we know Catherine and Henry stopped having sex (early 1520s).

Well, I'm just guessing that they stopped when she hit menopause. Catherine and all of her close female relatives (her mom, her sisters, even her nieces) stopped having children once they hit their early-mid thirties (32-35), which points to a declining fertility afterwards, and it lines up with when we know Catherine and Henry stopped having sex (early 1520s).
Oh ok, I always thought they stopped trying in around 1520 or 1521.

I've seen 1522 mentioned as well, and even up to 1524. But Henry also seems to have been seriously considering annulment by 1524 so that seems less likely.
I see, so what if the two stop in 1524 and Henry considers the annulment around then, might Elizabeth try and sway him away from it? (Not publicly but rather in private)

I see, so what if the two stop in 1524 and Henry considers the annulment around then, might Elizabeth try and sway him away from it? (Not publicly but rather in private)
I don't think so. Elizabeth was (a) not involved in politics even privately, save for a few comments to an ambassador one time, and (b) would surely like to avoid the dynastic struggles which characterized her youth, meaning that Henry needs to have a son. If it's clear that Catherine is not going to fall pregnant again, I think she would support the annulment.

Last edited:
I don't think so. Elizabeth was (a) not involved in politics even privately, save for a few comments to an ambassador one time, and (b) would surely like to avoid the dynastic struggles which characterized her youth, meaning that Henry needs to have a son. If it's clear that Catherine is not going to fall pregnant again, I think she would support the annulment.

I tend to agree. I think Elizabeth may have been what was missing in the actual scenario, a mediator with everyone's best interests at heart.
The problem in real life was that you had two completely intransigent characters, both heavily influenced by negative characters - Anne Boleyn and Chapuys.
I think Elizabeth would have been horrified by what actually happened to Catherine and Mary at Henry's hands and her role (if any) would have been to try and soften the stances of both Henry and Catherine so they both could accept a compromise. The logical solution was for Catherine to accept the annulment and live a life of very comfortable retirement (as indeed Elizabeth likely was at this point), while preserving Mary's legitimacy, allowing her to marry a foreign ruler.

They were scheduled to marry in 1505, but once Isabella I died it was cancelled. Maybe here Elizabeth could convince Henry VII to go ahead with or butterflies could cause Isabella to live a tad bit longer.
Isabella‘s death made that Henry and Catherine’s wedding almost useless politically and age difference was already a problem for Henry VIII.
Agreed, the daughter she died giving birth to was named Catherine, possibly after Catherine of Aragon (This daughter also lives here btw) and she was quite kind and friendly with Catherine in otl.
Katherine Tudor was almost surely named after Katherine of York (or in alternative after Catherine of Valois or Katherine Woodville) not Catherine of Aragon.

No, I stand by "very little." Women giving successfully carrying a child to term in their 40s is really quite rare in this era. Even today, the risks associated with pregnancy increase greatly after age 35. Doing a quick scan through the list of English and Scottish consorts through the medieval era, no one has a child after age 37.
Not to play "devil's advocate" here, but Elizabeth's almost-contemporary, Elizabeth of Austria, Queen of Poland (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_of_Austria_(1436–1505)) had her youngest child at age 46, Elizabeth of York's own mother, Elizabeth Woodville had her youngest, Brigdet at 43, so I think that the chance for another child is higher than very little.
Elizabeth Woodville was most likely two or three years younger than commonly believed but still would be 40 years old at Bridget’s birth.

@RedKing @material_boy @curlyhairedhippie s pretty likely who Catherine of Aragon, considering her hard fasting and everything, reached menopause around 1520-1524 (when she would be 34-38).
And Elizabeth of York would most likely support her son’s annulment as nobody knew more than her the risk of a not secured succession in England

Last edited:
I tend to agree. I think Elizabeth may have been what was missing in the actual scenario, a mediator with everyone's best interests at heart.
The problem in real life was that you had two completely intransigent characters, both heavily influenced by negative characters - Anne Boleyn and Chapuys.
I think Elizabeth would have been horrified by what actually happened to Catherine and Mary at Henry's hands and her role (if any) would have been to try and soften the stances of both Henry and Catherine so they both could accept a compromise. The logical solution was for Catherine to accept the annulment and live a life of very comfortable retirement (as indeed Elizabeth likely was at this point), while preserving Mary's legitimacy, allowing her to marry a foreign ruler.
Anne Boleyn was Henry’s victim in all the situation, so stop to paint her as the villain she was not as she was powerless and Mary was victim mostly of her mother’s intransigence. I believe Elizabeth would NOT try to stop her son’s fury if Catherine refuted the annulment and fight in the OTL manner, who is what will happen here as Catherine’s character and beliefs are such who she would be unwilling to compromise. If her mother had accepted the annulment Mary would remain a legitimate princess (and nobody had doubt about that).

Anne Boleyn was Henry’s victim in all the situation, so stop to paint her as the villain she was not as she was powerless and Mary was victim mostly of her mother’s intransigence. I believe Elizabeth would NOT try to stop her son’s fury if Catherine refuted the annulment and fight in the OTL manner, who is what will happen here as Catherine’s character and beliefs are such who she would be unwilling to compromise. If her mother had accepted the annulment Mary would remain a legitimate princess (and nobody had doubt about that).

That is your opinion and is part of some weird quasi-academic agenda that has taken over in the past decade - frankly I do not understand why some people increasingly want to whitewash a strong minded, ambitious and intelligent woman and turn her into a mute puppet but there you go.

That is your opinion and is part of some weird quasi-academic agenda that has taken over in the past decade - frankly I do not understand why some people increasingly want to whitewash a strong minded, ambitious and intelligent woman and turn her into a mute puppet but there you go.
I think Anne was something in between. She was clearly intelligent, had a mind and an agenda of her own, and wasn't afraid to step outside of the strict roles dictated by the hierarchical society of early modern England. But she also was a victim of Henry's mistreatment. Ultimately the blame for how Anne's story turned out lies solely with Henry, who was dissatisfied with a woman who was not only intransigent at times but also, and perhaps more importantly in his mind, didn't give him the son and heir that he demanded.

I think Anne was something in between. She was clearly intelligent, had a mind and an agenda of her own, and wasn't afraid to step outside of the strict roles dictated by the hierarchical society of early modern England. But she also was a victim of Henry's mistreatment. Ultimately the blame for how Anne's story turned out lies solely with Henry, who was dissatisfied with a woman who was not only intransigent at times but also, and perhaps more importantly in his mind, didn't give him the son and heir that he demanded.
Agree that she was neither purely victim nor purely schemer. She was clearly groomed from a young age by her father to be used to powerful men for her family's advancement, and she was certainly powerless when compared to the might of a king. But she was also intelligent and self-possessed enough to turn a desperate situation to her own advantage.

Because that is the truth. Anne was smart, cultured, intelligent and brilliant, but she had clearly no interest in Henry before marrying him was her only option and tried to escape from him, unsuccessfully. At the same time Catherine was NOT the victim of Henry BUT the biggest responsible of her fate (and during her first widowhood her financial troubles were responsibility of her parents NOT of her father-in-law, who with an unpaid dowry and unconsumed wedding was not the one who needed to pay for her maintenance). Anne Boleyn was a impressive woman BUT she was not the one who played for the Crown (as that was NOT choice), unlike Jane Seymour, who was clearly after the crown.

I agree but we are talking about different periods of time, I think you are talking about her being disposed of by Henry. Sure at that point she was a victim but prior to that she was a powerful and determined player with agency and unafraid to use it.

Because that is the truth. Anne was smart, cultured, intelligent and brilliant, but she had clearly no interest in Henry before marrying him was her only option and tried to escape from him, unsuccessfully. At the same time Catherine was NOT the victim of Henry BUT the biggest responsible of her fate (and during her first widowhood her financial troubles were responsibility of her parents NOT of her father-in-law, who with an unpaid dowry and unconsumed wedding was not the one who needed to pay for her maintenance). Anne Boleyn was a impressive woman BUT she was not the one who played for the Crown (as that was NOT choice), unlike Jane Seymour, who was clearly after the crown.

So I understand it, everyone is scamming and ambitious and to blame except Anne Boleyn?

I just don't get why people need to try and turn her into some fantasy heroine from a Barbara Cartland novel.

No, I stand by "very little." Women giving successfully carrying a child to term in their 40s is really quite rare in this era. Even today, the risks associated with pregnancy increase greatly after age 35. Doing a quick scan through the list of English and Scottish consorts through the medieval era, no one has a child after age 37.

I agree that Elizabeth probably wouldn't have another child. She had difficulty with her pregnancies and even if she survives Catherine's birth she may have some damage that prevents her from conceiving again. But there were medieval women who had children after 37. Elizabeth Woodville, Cecily Neville, Eleanor of Aquitaine and Margaret of Wessex all successfully gave birth after that age. And those are just examples of the top of my head, there are probably more.
Eleanor of Castile also gave birth to Edward II after she turned 40, but did have declining health after that and died after another 4-5 years. That was the last of upwards of 16 pregnancies too. That was the very first English queen consort I could think of from the top of my head to give birth after 40.

So I understand it, everyone is scamming and ambitious and to blame except Anne Boleyn?

I just don't get why people need to try and turn her into some fantasy heroine from a Barbara Cartland novel.
Anne was surely ambitious and extremely well educated and once she accepted who she had no other choice other than marrying Henry she wanted that Crown who was promised to her and would give her full contribution for getting it (as she was clearly the one to push Henry towards the Reformation).
Anne had surely her agency BUT was mostly a victim in her relationship with Henry (she had no other choice than playing along) AND not the main actor as she is commonly considered.
Also Anne’s father was not thrilled by Mary’s former relationship with the King and both he and Norfolk were pretty scared by the prospective of Henry VIII remarrying to Anne)

Last edited: