What if Mehmet captured Konstantine?

What it says on the tin, what if instead being swept away in the fall of the city Konstantine was captured in the Siege of Constantinople; obviously the whole mystique of his death would be lost and the wives and fishermen would have fewer prophecies to throw around but what are the cultural consequences?

This thought came to my mind while thinking about the continuity between the Turks and Romans and the flexibility of Roman coronations (They weren't really required nor did they have to be done by the Patriarch), and mostly because I thought it'd be cool to have Mehmet formally crowned by the former emperor before Konstantine is shipped off to a monastery.

I can't imagine the Constantine would allow himself to be captured he would probably either try to get himself killed first or be killed whilst trying to escape

Interesting idea, but very unlikely. Konstantine might not necessarily kill himself rather than get captured, but I imagine he definitely would kill himself rather than crown a foreign invader who dethroned him and butchered his city.

If he gets captured he's probably just be executed...less mystique, but a myth could still arise regarding some famous last words or an alleged gesture of defiance. Sending him off to live the rest of his life in a monastery under guard would be a better method to prevent the rise of myths and prophecies.

Dirk

Banned
Interesting idea, but very unlikely. Konstantine might not necessarily kill himself rather than get captured, but I imagine he definitely would kill himself rather than crown a foreign invader who dethroned him and butchered his city.

And risked what he believed to be an eternity in hell as punishment? As it stands he basically suicided-by-enemy-soldier in OTL, which I suppose is a loophole. However if captured and guarded well, I can't see him being enough of a threat that a soldier with express orders to guard him and keep him alive would have to kill him.

And risked what he believed to be an eternity in hell as punishment? As it stands he basically suicided-by-enemy-soldier in OTL, which I suppose is a loophole. However if captured and guarded well, I can't see him being enough of a threat that a soldier with express orders to guard him and keep him alive would have to kill him.
He could get himself killed-by-enemy Sultan by cursing and swearing at Mehmed in the foulest ways possible.Mehmed might have him executed on the spot.

He could get himself killed-by-enemy Sultan by cursing and swearing at Mehmed in the foulest ways possible.Mehmed might have him executed on the spot.

Wouldn't that be unbecoming of the defeated to dishonor their conqueror in such a way or would he just not give a damn?

True, but with enough persistence I imagine a similar suicide-by-enemy would still be possible. Mehmet might forget to give his guards any specific warnings about what Constantine might try, leaving them unprepared, and even if prepared they could still screw up. The coronation itself would present even more opportunities to get killed if he doesn't manage before that.

True, but with enough persistence I imagine a similar suicide-by-enemy would still be possible. Mehmet might forget to give his guards any specific warnings about what Constantine might try, leaving them unprepared, and even if prepared they could still screw up. The coronation itself would present even more opportunities to get killed if he doesn't manage before that.
What about cursing and swearing at Muhammad?THAT should do something.Even if Mehmet is able to take that,I don't think some of his more extreme soldiers are able to.Keep in mind that the Ottoman Army was made originally from ghazis and the concept of holy war still plays a large role in how the Ottoman Army runs.

Last edited:
I suspect he will end up executed, sooner rather than later. The Ottoman sultans have never, ever shown qualms about executing a dozen plus of their own brothers, as well as relatives of conquered families. I doubt they'll keep him around.

What about cursing and swearing at Muhammad?THAT should do something.Even if Mehmet is able to take that,I don't think some of his more extreme soldiers are able to.Keep in mind that the Ottoman Army was made originated from ghazis and the concept of holy war still plays a large role in how the Ottoman Army runs.

True, that might still work even if nothing else does.