What if HT was actually a good writer??

Is it just me who's being weird, or is it actually easier to sympathise with most of the Confederates than with the Americans?

From what I know about TL-191, it seems that both the US and CSA are pretty much... villains... There seems to be no "morally right and lawful hero" in all of Turtledove's ATL North American conflicts...

From what I know about TL-191, it seems that both the US and CSA are pretty much... villains... There seems to be no "morally right and lawful hero" in all of Turtledove's ATL North American conflicts...

That might be one of the better things, actually, on it.

Enough AH has even subconciously one nation to 'root for', so to speak, or more frequently one set up as the designated villain of the time period or to act against-sometimes, again, very unintended but subconciously still there. TL-191 at least made it obvious the USA is not a shining beacon of happiness, even in an eventual sense, and the 'good guy' compared to the eeeeevil Rebs. At least, not till the Freedom Party.

You get what I mean. Anyone wanna take a shot at turning what I said into something more eloquent?

I like how he takes snap shots of his charactors' daily lives, but he could certainly do without the smut in his books.

Thande

Donor
That might be one of the better things, actually, on it.

Enough AH has even subconciously one nation to 'root for', so to speak, or more frequently one set up as the designated villain of the time period or to act against-sometimes, again, very unintended but subconciously still there. TL-191 at least made it obvious the USA is not a shining beacon of happiness, even in an eventual sense, and the 'good guy' compared to the eeeeevil Rebs. At least, not till the Freedom Party.

You get what I mean. Anyone wanna take a shot at turning what I said into something more eloquent?
I know what you mean, and I thought it worked pretty well in the first couple of Great War books, though I wish he'd have taken into account that the USA would be a less attractive destination for immigrants if it was so militarised, with conscription, two minutes' hate on Remembrance Day and presumably higher taxes to boot. You'd imagine a lot of those Eastern Europeans, Italians etc would be going to either Canada or the CSA instead.

I know what you mean, and I thought it worked pretty well in the first couple of Great War books, though I wish he'd have taken into account that the USA would be a less attractive destination for immigrants if it was so militarised, with conscription, two minutes' hate on Remembrance Day and presumably higher taxes to boot. You'd imagine a lot of those Eastern Europeans, Italians etc would be going to either Canada or the CSA instead.
That makes sense...

Though they might also stay in E Europe, go to W Europe, or pick somewhere like Australia. These would all have interesting effects...

By the way, what other HT books are actually worth reading? I've read all of Worldwar. Should I bother with Colonization, or would it be more satisfying just to read a plot summary of it.

Colonization isn't really much. It's just a few interesting geopolitical events mixed in with a lot of Jonathan Yeager's sex life. Just go with a summary.

But I recommend that you read Homeward Bound itself. It's better than Colonization, but not as good as Worldwar.