What if HT was actually a good writer??

All that said, I actually enjoyed In the Presence of Mine Enemies for the characterizations of the main people, even if the teachers of the daughters were almost stereotypically bigoted. Like everyone else said: actually history still needs shaking up a bit, but good as *stories*.

How few remain was a good book. It had an interesting look upon the world, had historical figures in a new enviroment, and had a nice slice of life from that TL.

The problem is HT got popular. So now he pumps out a few books a year, and writes novels on what would have been a good short story. What could have been a good novel is then made into a series. My problem with HT is his lack of a good editor. I am positive if someone looked over his shoulder, the repeating, akwarded sex scenes, and trailing plot lines would be dealt with.

I take offense at this. I am a good writer! Here's a snippet from my new book, Randy in the Sea of Time:

Ayn Rand asked the Emperess Catherine of Russia

"Have you ever kissed a woman before?"....

*zipping noise is heard*

59444606tg0.png

Ewwwww

Thande

Donor
I'll defend Turtledove based on the fact that (thanks to the British Education System, but that's another rant) most of what I know about WW2, I first learned from his Worldwar books...

I think Flocc hit the nail on the head when he said that HT now has such a status that editors don't dare edit him. There's even a bit in the last Settling Accounts book where there are literally two duplicate chapters. Who knows, maybe Videssos and his other good books were originally brick-sized redundant drafts, but back then he actually had an editor to turn them readable.

I still read Turtledove books, but only when I can pick them up cheap, and I find they're a good way of turning off your mind before you go to sleep (I'm not being snarky, that's actually true).

~The Doctor~

want to see what happens to Dowling, Colleton, Scipio, McGregor, Pinkard, et al. They all have their own interesting personal stories, and it's these personal stories that really make the books.

They all die. No, seriously.

Anyways, I like HT for the most part. The sex scenes piss me off; every character seems to be a nymphomaniac. Soldiers care more about getting laid than not getting shot. Eh, I'm a prude.

It's a good thing my library stocks nearly all his books from TL-191. I'd never spend money on them!:D

Because even fictional Americans and Confederates need sex.

I've always loved the Tales of Krispos trilogy. That was a good read if I may say so. Agent of Byzantium, too.
but does every fictional character need it all the time? because from the few I've read, that seems to be one of the only thing they do. that and subtly hint at the poorly concealed OTL analogues. I personally think it's all filler.

~The Doctor~

Reminds me of a few military types I've met. ;)

Well, I suppose they need the stress relief.

I wonder if there are any stories about soldiers masturbating in the trenches?:p

And away we go.....:)

Incidentally, I thought most armies in the world laced soldiers' rations with saltpeter to solve that little problem....

I did enjoy following the career/livelihood paths they all take before variously dying/closing accounts at series end. A few of them take abrupt left-turns, even.

Has no one ever told you the story about First World War soldiers and the original, proverbial "can of worms"?

Oh, dear God, no...

I mean seriously, no "they" haven't told me. I'm imagining it, and what I'm imagining is not good... :(:eek:

Last edited:
The truth is, the guy writes good stories, we whine, we yell, we say he sucks, yet we keep reading them. If people read one book and stopped, that is one thing, but for the most part many pick up his books.

I read one book, Guns of the South, and stopped about 3/4 of the way through. He's more credible than Stirling, but that's not setting the bar very high.