What If Elisabeth of Hesse and By Rhine married Wilhelm II instead of Grand Duke Sergei?

I recently found out that Wilhelm had a crush on his cousin, Elisabeth of Hesse and had attempted to propose to her which she rejected him. What type of effects would this marriage had caused if Elisabeth had accepted it? Would this had toned down Wilhelm's views and possibly keep the German Empire going. Would this had prevented Nicholas' and Alexandra's marriage?

Would this had prevented Nicholas' and Alexandra's marriage?
Without doubt. Nicholas and Alix meet at Sergei and Ella’s wedding and her sister was very influential in persuading Alix to accept the conversion, so if Ella married elsewhere… I wonder if Alix, without any sentimental attachment elsewhere would marry Albert Victor as their grandmother wanted

Last edited:
That would open up a can of wormies because Albert Victor died in the OTL. So Alix would have likely replace Mary of Teck's position as Queen if she was chosen as his fiance instead.

That would open up a can of wormies because Albert Victor died in the OTL. So Alix would have likely replace Mary of Teck's position as Queen if she was chosen as his fiance instead.
Pretty likely who Alix would be already married to Eddy if he still die as OTL (as he died . The engagement of Albert Victor to Mary of Teck (who here would be likely Duchess of York as wife of George) was only in late 1891 while his proposal to Alix was around September 1889 (and his courting of her lasted until the next year as Eddy’s romance with Helene d’Orleans was between Alix and Mary). Keep in mind who Albert Victor proposed to Victoria Mary of Teck on 3 December 1491 and their wedding was scheduled for 27 February 1492 (but he died the 14 January) so Alicky would marry Eddy in 1490 if she accepted his proposal

Also, a big important question if Elisabeth is fertile, wouldn't there be a chance of her and Wilhelm's children getting hemophilia?

to get Ella in Berlin you need to get Vicky on board with it. Vicky's face was dead-set against the match IIRC. She even wrote to her mom saying she didn't want the match to go ahead, suggesting everyone from her husband's Baden nephew to the duke of Manchester's heir, to avoid the wedding. I'm not sure what Vicky's objection was, I doubt it was the hemophilia since neither Irene nor Alix were married yet, and Vicky had no objections with Irene IIRC, so I'm assuming it was personal.

Another thing you're going to need is for Ella to be as "into" Willy as he was into her. Or at least "interested". OTL, she wasn't ever interested in Willy, despite both his grandmothers being keen on the match, and she later confessed that his "ardour" had scared her somewhat

Was Wilhelm I or Frederick III against the match? Also, was Ella's father opposed to it? Is there a way we can make Vicky content with the match?

to get Ella in Berlin you need to get Vicky on board with it. Vicky's face was dead-set against the match IIRC. She even wrote to her mom saying she didn't want the match to go ahead, suggesting everyone from her husband's Baden nephew to the duke of Manchester's heir, to avoid the wedding. I'm not sure what Vicky's objection was, I doubt it was the hemophilia since neither Irene nor Alix were married yet, and Vicky had no objections with Irene IIRC, so I'm assuming it was personal.
Alice’s second son had died at two years and half for consequences of hemophilia so Vicky would know who her nieces could be carriers (and there is a big difference between the heir and younger sons)
Another thing you're going to need is for Ella to be as "into" Willy as he was into her. Or at least "interested". OTL, she wasn't ever interested in Willy, despite both his grandmothers being keen on the match, and she later confessed that his "ardour" had scared her somewhat
Agreed here

Last edited:
So let's just say in this timeline Elisabeth was interested in Wilhelm or at the very least wasn't crept out by his affections. But how could we make her interested in Wilhelm?

I sincerely doubt Wilhelm cared whether or not Vicky was for the marriage. He wasn't a fan of his mother's in the least. It was his paternal grandmother, Empress Augusta, who couldn't contend with having Wilhelm marry a Hessian.