What if Chris Benoit Stood Trial?

Disclaimer: I know this is probably the most controversial incident in WWE History, so I'm going to tread very carefully around this.

Anyway, what if Benoit hadn't died, but was instead arrested and stood trial for murder?

Knowing what we know about his brain, I have a hard time thinking he would be found competant to stand trial.

If we do see a trial, the line of psychologists and doctors talking about the damage steroid use and repeated head trauma can do to the human body and brain in particular will leave the WWF, it's owner Vince McMahon, and professional wrestling in general in a horrible light. Vince and his company may be targets of a serious lawsuit for unsafe working conditions and you have a man who brutally killed his family there as the key piece of evidence. Numerous former talents would probably testify to what they had to do to remain at the top in this business. It would make the steroid trial in the early 90's look like a cake walk compared to this.

So what effects would the trial have on other sports (mma) in general?
At that time CTE was not yet accepted by the NFL (and indeed they were still trying to discredit Omalu) but there is evidence that Beniot did not have excessive steroids in his system and some believe he showed CTE symptoms.

Given that "Roid rage" is a sure fire way to a quick conviction Beniot''s defence may attempt to use CTE in his defence (mad not bad.etc).

If it's accepted then CTE goes mainstream a few years earlier than OTL and the scandal may detonate forcing the NFL to address the issue properly.

If he does have brain damage Beniot is likely committed, although given the example of other CTE victims (who seem to die by 50) he's unlikely to live that much longer.

At that time CTE was not yet accepted by the NFL (and indeed they were still trying to discredit Omalu) but there is evidence that Beniot did not have excessive steroids in his system and some believe he showed CTE symptoms.

Given that "Roid rage" is a sure fire way to a quick conviction Beniot''s defence may attempt to use CTE in his defence (mad not bad.etc).

If it's accepted then CTE goes mainstream a few years earlier than OTL and the scandal may detonate forcing the NFL to address the issue properly.

If he does have brain damage Beniot is likely committed, although given the example of other CTE victims (who seem to die by 50) he's unlikely to live that much longer.

So could WWE (and Vince McMahon) survive one of their finest stars being tried and convicted of murder?

Noth
So could WWE (and Vince McMahon) survive one of their finest stars being tried and convicted of murder?
Nothing good. Especially if it is CTE. Remember wrestling isn't a sport but a group of actors playing a role. The fact a man fried his brain doing it will reflect very badly on the promotion.

His previous use of steroids will come up as well which will reflect badly on wwe since it will be used by prosecutors to mitigate a CTE defence. In most Roid scandals people trot out the huge pressure to succeed, competion. Etc as an excuse. Since Chris was an actor more than a sportsman the fact he used steroids to essentially bulk up for a role will reflect even worse on WWE. This is because the defence will probably try to paint a picture of a promotion pressuring him into drug use in order to take heat off him. Even if WWE can prove they had nothing to do with him using them what follows will still be a PR nightmare.

Ak-84

Banned
Being medically mentally impaired and being impaired to an extent sufficient to obviate criminal responsibility are two very different things. Best case scenario for Benoit; he gets a reduced sentence.

Being medically mentally impaired and being impaired to an extent sufficient to obviate criminal responsibility are two very different things. Best case scenario for Benoit; he gets a reduced sentence.
he will be still jailed for life but under medical care, he lives in georgia and din't georgia still have dead penalty? so yeah just life and yeah this trial will be the most (in)famous in the story this sports, but i think wwe will survive with massive changes, more emphasis in traditional 'scholastic' wrestling more emphasis in promos(the soap opera for mens) aspect and playing safe in PG for a long while, they will keep high flyers as long they don't aim to the head....

He almost certaintly gets committed to a mental institution on the grounds of not guilty due to mental disease or defect. Remember, the guy who did the Autopsy said Benoit's Brain was that of an 80 year old Alzheimer's Patient due to all the concussions and trauma he had built up over his career.

Ak-84

Banned
I am not familiar with Georgia caselaw on the subject, but from the common law jurisdictions that I am familiar with, being not guilty by reasons of insanity requires the individual to not know or understand what s/he was doing or that it was a crime. Simple mental impairment on its own is never sufficient for insanity. Georgia applies the M'Naughten Rules, so it would seem that ex facie Benoit would not be found insane. Reduced impulse control is never insanity under law.

As everyone says, this is going to be a major scandal for the WWE - and all other wrestlers, and the NFL by splashback - when it becomes clear how damaged his brain is. This would be bigger than CTE in our timeline because our CTE cases hit former players and they have less media-sexy problems. This is a mega-star butchering his family.

I could see the NHL moving to impose stiffer penalties for fighting, boarding and checking to the head. Certainly the IIHF would at the very least.

A traumatic brain injury can be sited as grounds for a competency defense along with dementia. I see people every day where I work in both situations. If you have enough doctors who can show limited capacity, then you have grounds for that type of defense.

A lot of questions will be asked about what the WWF expected from its performers and how they were to be taken care of by the company. As they have said in previous lawsuits, the wrestlers are viewed as independent contractors, but at a time when there is no viable opposition, I'm certain a lawyer will argue against that point saying that it was a situation similar to a monopoly.