What if: 1888 the Year of the Four Kaisers

So I found myself wondering in the last days, what would happen if after Friedrich the third also Wilhelm the second dies in the same year?

My take one this goes as follows:

- Heinrich, the younger brother of Wilhelm, is given the crown after a change in the constitution. This happens because Bismarck fears the instability Germany now faces after the death of so many rulers.

- Heinrich doesn't want to take the crown first, he doesn't feel prepared and also doesn't want to steal his nephew of his birthright. But in the end, he excepts the crown under protest but for Germany.

- The change in the constitution separates the title of Kaiser from the Prussian King.

What would be the reaction's in Germany and in the World?

Why crown would has given to Heinrich when Wlhelm's oldest son was already around? Heinrich mihgt be regent instead.

But now Bismarck's situation would be more secured. Great War might still break up but Germany might be better prepared and it has better alliance system when Russia would be still ally of Germany.

Why crown would has given to Heinrich when Wlhelm's oldest son was already around? Heinrich mihgt be regent instead.

But now Bismarck's situation would be more secured. Great War might still break up but Germany might be better prepared and it has better alliance system when Russia would be still ally of Germany.

Wilhelm's oldest son is six years old, the realm just lost in a short time three of its rulers. I saw the move as one to stabilize the country. Many political parties could use such a chaos in the leading role of the state. Bismarck's power in these years relied more and more on the Kaiser then anything else. OTL he soon looses his power. With Heinrich as the new Kaiser, he has a way of securing his position for now. And why no regent? Well, it will take some time for crown prince Wilhelm to be old enough to rule. In this time Heinrich could rule as a regent but his power would always be in question, mostly in the first years, adding to the chaos.

I agree that the situation with Heinrich at the power on the international stage for Germany would be better. As far as I know, Heinrich spent some time traveling around the world in OTL. He made a good figure there as a diplomat. Better than his brother but I think that isn't that hard.

There is an extensive TL here bases on similar premises: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/es-geloybte-aretz-a-germanwank.219653/

A very nice read, although there Heinrich only becomes regent for Wilhelm III, who is the TL's main focus.

Yes, I know that timeline. It has been one of my favorites for a long time.

00 A Kaiser.png

Who does this new Kaiser marry, I have a few suggestions:
- Marrying Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna of Russia, youngest child and younger daughter of Emperor Alexander III of Russia and younger sister of Tsar Nicholas II, would form a new alliance with the Russian Empire
- Princess Alice of Albany, daughter of Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany, the youngest son of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, making her a grandchild of Queen Victoria. Her mother was Princess Helena of Waldeck and Pyrmont.
- Princess Alice of Battenberg, daughter of Princess Victoria of Hesse and by Rhine making her a great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria and Prince Louis of Battenberg

@Jonathan: that are good points but my question is about Prinz Heinrich the younger brother of Wilhelm the second.
But as other members has said, the only way you will have Prince Henry of Prussia succeeded to the Throne in 1888 is:
- Wilhelm dies before 1881 without issues
- All of Prince Wilhelm's son die before his succession in 1888
- The whole royal family dies in 1888 from an explosive terror attack

Without it explained as to how Prince Henry succeeds to the throne in 1888, its hard to say how his reign will go. If it is a result of a political assassination or terror attack the reign may begin with world war starting in the late 1880s rather than in the mid 1910s.

But as other members has said, the only way you will have Prince Henry of Prussia succeeded to the Throne in 1888 is:
- Wilhelm dies before 1881 without issues
- All of Prince Wilhelm's son die before his succession in 1888
- The whole royal family dies in 1888 from an explosive terror attack

Without it explained as to how Prince Henry succeeds to the throne in 1888, its hard to say how his reign will go. If it is a result of a political assassination or terror attack the reign may begin with world war starting in the late 1880s rather than in the mid 1910s.

Agree. I can't see that they just would change succession if Wilhelm II's sons are still alive. Such would cause just more problems than would solve.

I stated at the start why Heinrich get's the crown of Kaiser. Even if it is mostly unlikely I want to know the reaction to such a radical step.

I know that the realistic thing would be a regent in the form of Heinrich. But that wasn't my question.

Ok. Let's assume that Heinrich becomes kaiser despite that Wilhelm II's son is there. Who will succeed Heinrich? Heinrich's oldest son or Wilhelm's son?

Aphrodite

Banned
The separation of the Kaiser from King of Prussia means the end of the Second Reich and the re establishment of the weak Holy Roman Empire. An Emperor that did not rule in Prussia would have no real power, no army and just ignored by every ruler in the realm

The Kaiser would still be the overall commander of all German force's.

But yes @Aphrodite you made good points. Could the German Emprie still work?

Also what would the international reaction be?

Surely there would be deep political division between Wilhelmian and Heinrichian people. If Bismarck would do such act, it would cause more damage than benefit. And I am sure that Bismarck would has forseen problems and so hardly he wouldn't do that.

Aphrodite

Banned
The Kaiser would still be the overall commander of all German force's.

But yes @Aphrodite you made good points. Could the German Emprie still work?

Also what would the international reaction be?
In theory but so was the oldHoly ROman Emperor Without the armed might of Prussia at his command, the Kaiser is nothing How is Heinrich going to win an argument with his nephew?

And without the control of the Prussian votes in the Bundesrat, how can the Emperor accomplish anything?

Prussia is the basis of Hohenzolleran power. Without it they are nothing

I stated at the start why Heinrich get's the crown of Kaiser. Even if it is mostly unlikely I want to know the reaction to such a radical step.

I know that the realistic thing would be a regent in the form of Heinrich. But that wasn't my question.
but Otto Von Bismarck preferred a weak monarch and political crisis because it strengthened his control on the contry. Changing the constitution to allow Prince Henry the throne is a bad precedent to set.

no monarchy has avoided the eldest son of a king over the king's brother.

Aphrodite

Banned
So, Heinrich would be nothing more then a figurehead?
No, the Empire would fragment. Without an army to enforce his will, the Emperor would see each of the Kingdoms move in separate ways. Nobody would care about the Emperor or the Reichstag. They wouldn't even pretend

Prussia would revolt. where is Heinrich going to rule from? How does he resist his nephew's army? The Bavarians never liked the Reich and just leave as do all the princes

No, the Empire would fragment. Without an army to enforce his will, the Emperor would see each of the Kingdoms move in separate ways. Nobody would care about the Emperor or the Reichstag. They wouldn't even pretend

Prussia would revolt. where is Heinrich going to rule from? How does he resist his nephew's army? The Bavarians never liked the Reich and just leave as do all the princes
Or the more likely alternative, the Prussian king enforces his birth right with strength of arms and keeps the other German states in line with the tips of bayonets

Aphrodite

Banned
Or the more likely alternative, the Prussian king enforces his birth right with strength of arms and keeps the other German states in line with the tips of bayonets
When he grows up but will Europe let Germany fight a civil war alone? The temptation to France, Russia and Austria would be hard to resist

When he grows up but will Europe let Germany fight a civil war alone? The temptation to France, Russia and Austria would be hard to resist
Would depend on what they have going on themselves, I don't think the Germans would have to worry about the Austrians in any case.