Victoria II

This is another thing which seriously annoys me. I was playing as France on Saturday and had as my allies Oman, Egypt, Morocco and Catalonia (once I'd freed it). I'd fight Spain THREE TIMES A DECADE as they would take on first Morocco, then Catalonia, then Egypt but when I checked their Infamy thinking it must be astronomical it was only 7!

Whereas, I was reduced to freeing bits of Spain's empire in each war because I could never get my Infamy down. I established an independent Cuba and a fully-independent Philippines eventually but never anything for myself, because to do so would have brought with it a huge whack of Infamy

Yet Spain could constantly and repeatedly declare aggressive wars for the purpose of annexing territory without ever wracking up a high Infamy score

Its just nuts!

Beset Rearguards
Grey Wolf

If they had ( just one ) core province in the region they ask for, they can declare an Infamy - free war, as it was the case in Catalonia and Morocco ... the 7 must be for the Egypt one.

Grey Wolf

Donor
If they had ( just one ) core province in the region they ask for, they can declare an Infamy - free war, as it was the case in Catalonia and Morocco ... the 7 must be for the Egypt one.

Hmmm, do France or Britain have any of those things?

Curiously I noticed when playing as Britain that France annexed Makran, then a few months later annexed Sindh but its total Infamy was only 11, when for each annexation its quoted as being 8 Infamy, so they must have got a by on that somehow too...

Of course, when I play France it never happens! And you never get "annexation" random cassus belllis, only "cut down to size" ones and usually on nations you can hardly even get to

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Hmmm, do France or Britain have any of those things?

Curiously I noticed when playing as Britain that France annexed Makran, then a few months later annexed Sindh but its total Infamy was only 11, when for each annexation its quoted as being 8 Infamy, so they must have got a by on that somehow too...

Of course, when I play France it never happens! And you never get "annexation" random cassus belllis, only "cut down to size" ones and usually on nations you can hardly even get to

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

There's a special casus belli for annexing small (one-region?) uncivilized states called "establish protectorate" that gets you a lot less Infamy than the normal annexation one. They probably used that.

Divergences

Have you all tried the Divergences alt history mod? I am loving it; the AI are pretty balanced and every endgame has been very different so far. I feel like the endgame in the original always looks the same.

V2_MAP_SPA_1836.1.1_1.png

Last edited:

Grey Wolf

Donor
Well, Portugal is buggered in this game I'm playing! Sweden has annexed the North, Denmark has annexed the South (about as large as what's left of Denmark is!), I've freed Zulu and all of Zanzibar, and annexed the Atlantic islands and Goa to Britain, whilst Greece has taken Northern Angola and Sweden went to war for Macao... Portugal is now just Lisbon, Southern Angola, Mozambique and East Timor...

I missed seeing Zanzibar, never seems to occur in Victoria II...

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf

Donor
Have you all tried the Divergences alt history mod? I am loving it; the AI are pretty balanced and every endgame has been very different so far. I feel like the endgame in the original always looks the same.

I like the idea behind that, and it would certainly add a challenge to the game! Not sure how many of my TLs start much before 1836 though; "Sport of Kings" did, thats for sure.

It would be quite fun to timeline from c1500 on, then mod V2 and play your timeline out from 1836...

I realise that in this one, people have already done it for you, but I like the idea of adding the game onto the end of a timeline you develop yourself...

What happens to decisions in a mod like this? For instance if you partition Egypt up to Mohammed Ali's reforms never happen, or do they happen to whoever owns Cairo? Or have you got to somehow mod all the decisions in the world too?

Which might be a step beyond what I'm capable of...

I've also never managed to get flags working for new nations in V2...?

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf

Donor
If I eradicate the USA but keep the "add core" bits with USA in for the provinces, does this make the USA a releasable nation?

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf

Donor
Naval Stuff for Modding

I want to mod it so that building a new naval base is extremely expensive, because otherwise you build them everywhere

I also want ships to cost a lot more in money terms, especially after the age of sail, which makes it a realistic choice to develop the fleet and should stop the AI deciding to build 50 monitors just because it can, which then results in the player having to build ridiculous numbers just to remain competitive

And can it be modded so that no steam-driven ship can be built where there is no naval base present?

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf

Donor
Why does Austria attack Denmark? I mean where do you find the file to edit to stop this automatically happening (well, either Austria or Prussia automatically does it, whoever gets in first). As part of modding V2 to my new timeline, I've given Norway back to Denmark and expanded their armed forces a bit, but still Austria thinks its a good idea to attack immediately

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

I've also never managed to get flags working for new nations in V2...?

Best Regards
Grey Wolf
If you check in the gfx/flags folder you'll notice there are some .txt-files in there. Those are made when the game runs without them being there, and tells it which flags exist based on what existed when they were created (the inbuilt mod function does tell them to re-create if it detects new flags... except, of course, the inbuilt mod function doesn't work properly in other ways). So, delete those files, start the game, wait a bit, and then it should work.
If I eradicate the USA but keep the "add core" bits with USA in for the provinces, does this make the USA a releasable nation?

Best Regards
Grey Wolf
It should, yes.

Grey Wolf

Donor
If you check in the gfx/flags folder you'll notice there are some .txt-files in there. Those are made when the game runs without them being there, and tells it which flags exist based on what existed when they were created (the inbuilt mod function does tell them to re-create if it detects new flags... except, of course, the inbuilt mod function doesn't work properly in other ways). So, delete those files, start the game, wait a bit, and then it should work.

Thank you, I'll certainly try that!

My ATL has got 3 British colonies in N America - New England which is a dominion and thus I'm creating the releasable NEN from the game as the already set-up dominion which I will need to make a satellite; the Maritimes which are fully under British control, so remain as ENG; and the South which is a sort of pseudo-dominion. Not sure whether to set them up as a satellite or as ENG - MAY use the USA tag for them as a satellite, then if there is a ACW triggered its basically their UDI

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Why does Austria attack Denmark? I mean where do you find the file to edit to stop this automatically happening (well, either Austria or Prussia automatically does it, whoever gets in first). As part of modding V2 to my new timeline, I've given Norway back to Denmark and expanded their armed forces a bit, but still Austria thinks its a good idea to attack immediately

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Is it a war for Schleswig? It's German, so I think they get a free casus belli on it. When you get things like that, 0 infamy wars, the AI LOVES to take it. It's why you get the Seventeenth French War for Alsace-Lorraine and things like that. The only way it is to get rid of the Austrian claim on the territory, AFAIK.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Is it a war for Schleswig? It's German, so I think they get a free casus belli on it. When you get things like that, 0 infamy wars, the AI LOVES to take it. It's why you get the Seventeenth French War for Alsace-Lorraine and things like that. The only way it is to get rid of the Austrian claim on the territory, AFAIK.

Ah, is that the core (add core=) or is it the culture that determines this, or is it both? Its not that I don't want them to attack sometime, if it makes sense, but it seems less than logical to do so immediately, especially since Austria doesn't even have much of a navy (presumably its army goes by land)

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Ah, is that the core (add core=) or is it the culture that determines this, or is it both? Its not that I don't want them to attack sometime, if it makes sense, but it seems less than logical to do so immediately, especially since Austria doesn't even have much of a navy (presumably its army goes by land)

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Not sure, it's been a while. Look at the casus belli file, and find the casus belli they're using (probably unification or something like that). Change the infamy to 1. See if that helps? The infamy is token, so it doesn't matter that much, but gets rid of the "hey, free casus belli, I MUST declare war!" thought process the AI has.

Out of curiosity, could anyone possibly tell me how difficult it is to mod this game as opposed to the first? I just started modding scenarios on the first one and it's made me interested in doing the same on this one if it's at least as easy.

So I installed my Victoria II onto another computer and played it there, and it was allright for a few games, but then that stupid all-my-soldiers-instantly-die thing happened again at around 1900.

One thing I notice is it only affects professional soldiers. If I mobilise and used the soldiers produced that way, they work perfectly fine. It means I can't so much as fight rebels without mobilising, and then the US (as I was playing Texas again) starts freaking out and moving all its units to my borders. It's really annoying and I wish I knew what was doing this.

So I installed my Victoria II onto another computer and played it there, and it was allright for a few games, but then that stupid all-my-soldiers-instantly-die thing happened again at around 1900.

One thing I notice is it only affects professional soldiers. If I mobilise and used the soldiers produced that way, they work perfectly fine. It means I can't so much as fight rebels without mobilising, and then the US (as I was playing Texas again) starts freaking out and moving all its units to my borders. It's really annoying and I wish I knew what was doing this.
I would suggest the Tech Help section on the official forums. The only thing I can think of is to make sure you download the patches.

My Brazil game is going somewhat better, still no damned industrialisation though despite -30% tariffs and very very low rich taxes (and generally low taxes).

I was able to annex Paraguay, so now I'm setting my sites on eating up Bolivia piece-by-piece until I'm on the pacific. I've managed to create the by-far largest army in South America, but my military tech is way behind since I've invested mostly in economic research and research multipliers.

Interesting happenings in the rest of the world:

North German Federation was formed but no Germany, it includes Alsace-Lorraine and Denmark. Britain keeps flip-flopping alliances, having supported Russia against Germany and in a later war (launched by Netherlands+Belgium+Luxembourg to get provinces on their respective borders) while France was on their third revanchist war supported Germany against France and low countries. They also got Dutch Guyana out of it.

The CSA still exists, which I find very strange as the USA was at +27% when they white peaced. The CSA has since formed an alliance with Mexico which only lacks half of Texas due to no war (that half of Texas is part of the USA still, strangely).

Perhaps the most humorous thing is that China has conquered over half of Mozambique from Portugal in colonial wars, and Japan has an alliance with both Korea and China.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Out of curiosity, could anyone possibly tell me how difficult it is to mod this game as opposed to the first? I just started modding scenarios on the first one and it's made me interested in doing the same on this one if it's at least as easy.

Its not TOO difficult because I can do it :D

The modding guides are not just useful but essential but once you've got the hang of them you just need to remember

countries.txt
country file in common
country file in history
oob in history (works without it but you get no military!)
provinces in common
and often pops in common cos if you change the provinces to new owners you may need to change the culture of their pops

Flags are more of a problem; I nicked someone's Yucatan flags and they now show up, but the Ashanti ones never have, and most of my new nations either get a white flag, or I've reused an existing tag and they get the flag for that (eg Berg flies the Luxembourg flag, Liege the Belgian flag, Jerusalem the Israeli flag)

The most difficult parts I've found are

- making sure I don't screw up the PHP in editing the oob files (the game kept crashing cos I'd forgotten the closing " on one Saxon regiment!)
- making sure there are enough soldier POPs for where I allocate the home for a brigade
- making the economy work in new nations, as they have this habit of crash-diving towards bankruptcy otherwise

Best Regards
Grey Wolf