Victoria II

Try losing a couple of wars and you'll be swamped by rebels. Hopefully a few will be commie

Well it did take a disastrous War and an incompetent Tsar to cause the First Successful Communist Rebellion in OTL.

Anyway to change the subject a bit how does one Colonise new Lands in Victoria II?

Well it did take a disastrous War and an incompetent Tsar to cause the First Successful Communist Rebellion in OTL.

Anyway to change the subject a bit how does one Colonise new Lands in Victoria II?
You build ports to increase your colonization points.
You research technologies that give you Life Rating tolerances.
Once your colonists can survive the harsh conditions of the potential colonies, invest your colonization points to stake your claim.

Prioritize colonies with high native populations or very good raw resources.

Pretty borders are the most important part, though.

That is where you and me, Luminous, differ in Opinion.

I have just started my UK Game. So far it is 11 May 1836 and I am Building Transport Ships and Cavalry for my Army, I am allied with Belgium so that I have an excuse to go to War against the Dutch and steal their Colonies, and also with the Prussians, the Spanish, and the Swedes, and I am wondering how best to Peacefully Annex the Indian Principalities into my Empire. Also my Economy is in the Green, which I'm guessing is good, and, mysteriously, I am Building lots of Railroads without Ordering them to be Built.

You say that now, but when your colonial "empire" misses out on the Kongo and is mostly the Sahara Desert...

The Sahara can be annoying to make pretty, especially as there's always a secondary power or so that seems to take OTL Western Sahara when I play.

The Congo's fairly easy to look nice, save for when Portugal doesn't manage to get South Angola. Then it's a pain.

That is where you and me, Luminous, differ in Opinion.

I have just started my UK Game. So far it is 11 May 1836 and I am Building Transport Ships and Cavalry for my Army, I am allied with Belgium so that I have an excuse to go to War against the Dutch and steal their Colonies, and also with the Prussians, the Spanish, and the Swedes, and I am wondering how best to Peacefully Annex the Indian Principalities into my Empire. Also my Economy is in the Green, which I'm guessing is good, and, mysteriously, I am Building lots of Railroads without Ordering them to be Built.

To each their own. But, sometimes, when one seeks pretty borders, they must tolerate ugly ones at some points. But it does depend on your objectives, in the end. (I'll admit I go into the console and swap some provinces around when the AI makes some rather ugly gains).

My two favorite games, in terms of what I accomplished, involved the Orange Free State and Portugal. In the former, took everything south of Namibia and Zimbabwe (and endured decades of containment wars against the British and French, among others), along with southern Madagascar (time was running out and I didn't have anything else I could do). I think I broke France in the process, as they kept on invading me while They were invaded by others. The other, as Portugal I didn't annex a province in Europe and mostly focused on colonizing Africa and restoring her Asian dominions, and mostly succeeded. I don't know how, but I had little trouble gaining allies (likely as I wasn't considered a threat on the continent), so by the end of the game, I was allied to 4 other Great Powers (the US, Germany, Italy, and Ireland). Ireland was a sphereling that grew strong enough as we picked at Britain and France's corpse (here's one example of using the console: one coastal province in Britain became majority Irish, and after one war I thought it appropriate to transfer). Spain was in my sphere, and I took care to make sure they never grew too strong, though.

The Sahara can be annoying to make pretty, especially as there's always a secondary power or so that seems to take OTL Western Sahara when I play.

The Congo's fairly easy to look nice, save for when Portugal doesn't manage to get South Angola. Then it's a pain.

To each their own. But, sometimes, when one seeks pretty borders, they must tolerate ugly ones at some points. But it does depend on your objectives, in the end. (I'll admit I go into the console and swap some provinces around when the AI makes some rather ugly gains).

My two favorite games, in terms of what I accomplished, involved the Orange Free State and Portugal. In the former, took everything south of Namibia and Zimbabwe (and endured decades of containment wars against the British and French, among others), along with southern Madagascar (time was running out and I didn't have anything else I could do). I think I broke France in the process, as they kept on invading me while They were invaded by others. The other, as Portugal I didn't annex a province in Europe and mostly focused on colonizing Africa and restoring her Asian dominions, and mostly succeeded. I don't know how, but I had little trouble gaining allies (likely as I wasn't considered a threat on the continent), so by the end of the game, I was allied to 4 other Great Powers (the US, Germany, Italy, and Ireland). Ireland was a sphereling that grew strong enough as we picked at Britain and France's corpse (here's one example of using the console: one coastal province in Britain became majority Irish, and after one war I thought it appropriate to transfer). Spain was in my sphere, and I took care to make sure they never grew too strong, though.

An Irish-Majority UK? Hmm...that would make a fascinating tale of Alternate History.

As I said before I am wondering how best to Peacefully Annex the Indian Principalities into my Empire playing as the UK, and I am wondering if anyone has any strategies for how to do so.

An Irish-Majority UK? Hmm...that would make a fascinating tale of Alternate History.

As I said before I am wondering how best to Peacefully Annex the Indian Principalities into my Empire playing as the UK, and I am wondering if anyone has any strategies for how to do so.

Ah, you're looking for the doctrine of lapse.

Here's the code for the in game event. Sadly, there is no way to intentionally annex vassals except in a few cases.

#Doctrine of Lapse 1/2
country_event = {
id = 13357
title = "EVTNAME13357"
desc = "EVTDESC13357"

picture = "Rebellion"

trigger = {
ENG = {
NOT = {
has_country_flag = empress_of_india
}
}
vassal_of = ENG
ai = yes
civilized = no
NOT = {
prestige = 15
}
OR = {
primary_culture = assamese
primary_culture = bengali
primary_culture = bihari
primary_culture = manipuri
primary_culture = nepali
primary_culture = oriya
primary_culture = sinhala
primary_culture = avadhi
primary_culture = kanauji
primary_culture = panjabi
primary_culture = kashmiri
primary_culture = gujarati
primary_culture = marathi
primary_culture = sindi
primary_culture = rajput
primary_culture = kannada
primary_culture = malayalam
primary_culture = tamil
primary_culture = telegu
}
}

mean_time_to_happen = {
months = 500
modifier = {
factor = 0.9
average_militancy = 4
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.9
average_militancy = 5
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.9
NOT = {
prestige = 10
}
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.9
NOT = {
prestige = 5
}
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.1
NOT = {
government = absolute_monarchy
}
}
}

option = {
name = "EVTOPTA13357"
any_pop = {
militancy = 4
consciousness = 1
}
ENG = {
country_event = { id=13358 days=0 }
}
}
}

# Doctrine of Lapse 2/2
country_event = {
id = 13358
title = "EVTNAME13358"
desc = "EVTDESC13358"

picture = "Rebellion"

is_triggered_only = yes

option = {
name = "EVTOPTA13358"
prestige = 4
inherit = FROM
any_owned = {
limit = {
is_core = HND
}
any_pop = {
militancy = 3
consciousness = 1
}
}
set_global_flag = doctrine_of_lapse_has_been_used
}

option = {
name = "EVTOPTB13358"
prestige = -2
}
}

Best I can tell is to let the collapse to rebels, use the casus belli to reinvade, occupy, humiliate, and make vassal again. That way, they wouldn't be an absolute monarchy, wouldn't be civilized, and would have low prestige and high militancy.

The important thing then would be their not being an absolute monarchy, as that reduces the mean time to happen to 50 months, or just over 4 years.

Or, well, one can edit the code to reduce the mean time to happen.

Random tip: Doctrine of Lapse is a great way to reduce infamy as UK.
1) Release Indian Principality, Lose Infamy
2) Doctrine of Lapse
3) Repeat

How does one Activate the Doctrine of Lapse?
Requirements:
  • The UK has not taken the Empress of India decision
  • This nation is a vassal of the UK
  • This nation is AI controlled
  • This nation is not civilised
  • This nation has less than 15 prestige
  • This nation's primary culture is in the Indian culture group*

It happens quicker if the Indian statelet has high militancy.

Just never take the Empress of India decision.

upload_2017-9-29_15-2-42.png
In PDM. The year is 1919. Qinghai controls China, the Danubian federation formed without Hungary, and the Ottomans control half of Bulgaria. It is up to the Leader of the Free World to vanquish these abominations.

Ireland was a sphereling that grew strong enough as we picked at Britain and France's corpse (here's one example of using the console: one coastal province in Britain became majority Irish, and after one war I thought it appropriate to transfer). Spain was in my sphere, and I took care to make sure they never grew too strong, though.
If it wasn't Liverpool, I call ASB.

If it wasn't Liverpool, I call ASB.

I believe it was, actually.

..No, actually, it was Chester (which was majority Irish). However, Liverpool had a substantial Irish majority and was adjacent to Irish Wales, so those two provinces, and those alone, were added to Ireland.

My save is up to 1960 (extended the timeline for fun) and the entire Portuguese Empire is roughly 40% Portuguese. It hasn't expanded much since 1936; a war with France led to it annexing the French Libyan province and the French Hejaz, along with establishing a base in Lebanon. Debating on granting a small portion of Hejaz up to and including the holy cities to Yemen or reestablishing a Hejaz state. However, I do want a port on the red sea, so that might wait til I have a contiguous territory.

For southern Africa, everything down to South Africa OTL (including Transvaal, which I did take. Sweet gold) is mine. The British have the cape and Natal, and the Boers have their state in Oranje.

Yemen and Ethiopia are in my sphere here. Spain, after the recent war, managed to become a GP to my annoyance, but so far are still allied, and are still in a war with me and the US vs Columbia on behalf of Venezuela.

20170929170152_1.jpg

Europe, however, is an ugly mess:

20170929170421_1.jpg

But a good kind of ugly mess. France is essentially dismantled, the Balkans are secure and stable (having a few regions as puppets did help). Greece is nearly totally facist, even with my console assistance after the defeat of the Franco-Ottoman Alliance, so that is very fun right now. Contrary to the appearance, though, Europe is rather peaceful overall, mostly as the result of this:

20170929170430_1.jpg

Not shown: Belgium, the Netherlands, Scandinavia, Estonia, and Poland-Lithuania are German spherelings, and Hungary & Montenegro are Italian Spherelings/allies. The only nations that are not part of the Portuguese greater alliance bloc are England*, France, and Slovenia.

Still, I'm debating just going over the console and making a few changes to bring the game back in balance. Effectively, a revolution against Spain and Italy to restore France a lot of its mainland territory. I'm also going to move my capital to Africa. Apparently, having only three mainland states means that, even though I'm a great power, that everyone wants to ally with me (as noted, the US is my ally as well). I'll see if that changes if I move to Africa. Still, this game is thoroughly played out. I could make the end boss China, though. They're finally cleaning up the last substate, though we'll see if they succeed.

Ah, I should have explained better - I edited the 1821 start date (from the Concert of Europe PDM) to create an alt-History start. Stuff like French India, Saxony-Poland, British Guyana, Dutch South Africa, independent Alsace (but not Lorraine), etc. This was to make the early game more interesting, as I've seen it all a hundred times before.

Stuff purely AI driven - Abyssinia's northward expansion, the beast that is the Federal Republic of Central America, North Italy unifying within the span of 2 years, the relative dismemberment of Austria (went from being Rank 4 to Rank 18 it got beaten so badly, losing Tyrol, Galicia, North Italy, coastal Slovenia, Dalmatia and Silesia), the French devouring of Belgium, and uber Argentina.

I've been mostly focused on internal issues - beginning the stages of Russian industrialization, developing the Imperial Far East Fleet and two Army groups, and messing around with my vassals, the Grand Duchy of Finland (which I gave Kola) and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania (which I role-play is given to the heir to the Russian throne to rule and has significant internal freedom).
How do you do this?

CsZ72Tv.png

This is the United states of America circa 1893 i started out as Brittian in eu4 The United states has quite strange demographics and the rest of the world is ten times stranger.

L1pPS4O.png

The USA circa 1890 is a bit of a demographic mess but is quite socially progressive for its time
b4Nky1K.png

The other great powers are quite strange with 4 of them being all communists

d3ZgdMd.png

This was my first ported game and its been a shit ton of fun so far hopefully you guys like it!