Victoria II

So as Germany I performed a rite of passage for Victoria 2 players: I defeated the UK. Britain did a crisis to give Salonika to Greece when that would give Greece terrible borders. I was pissed, so to win Austria over to my side I offered to liberate India. France and Russia joined me(I made a point to cultivate good relations with France) and Britain was joined by Italy. After the Hochseeflotte crushed the Royal Navy at Dogger Bank, Operation Sea Lion was on, with German and French troops storming Dover. The initial British army was crushed due to gas attack and my spamming of guards, and the conscripts were eaten alive. Meanwhile, Russian and Austro-Hungarian troops liberated India. When all of Britain was occupied they finally agreed to release India. Britain is officially no longer #1, and I'll probably console the Princely a States into India(which is in the Austro-Hingarian Sphere now).

Is India a Civilized Nation?
Nope, it's primitive(which I'm still not sure what the difference between uncivilized and primitive is); it might or might not be a train wreck. My mental image for all this is Wilhelm II trying to convince Franz Joseph to join and Franz says something like "well, maybe if you give me India" and Wilhelm, being Wilhelm, says "fuck it, hold my beer!"

Side note, Germany gave women the vote in 1892.

Aesthetic borders seems to be the main reason to ever go to war in Victoria 2. I wonder if all countries in the game are secretly run by a shady cabal of hobby cartographers?

Aesthetic borders seems to be the main reason to ever go to war in Victoria 2. I wonder if all countries in the game are secretly run by a shady cabal of hobby cartographers?
Given the disgusting border gore the AI loves making, I'm gonna say no.

Nope, it's primitive(which I'm still not sure what the difference between uncivilized and primitive is); it might or might not be a train wreck. My mental image for all this is Wilhelm II trying to convince Franz Joseph to join and Franz says something like "well, maybe if you give me India" and Wilhelm, being Wilhelm, says "fuck it, hold my beer!"

Side note, Germany gave women the vote in 1892.

I believe the Uncivilised are further along Westernisation than Primitives, and that once you reach like 50% or something you switch from Primitive to Uncivilised.

I believe the Uncivilised are further along Westernisation than Primitives, and that once you reach like 50% or something you switch from Primitive to Uncivilised.
Huh. I might need to console India to civilized then, too, because it's honestly not that plausible for a released Raj to be totally undeveloped.

Here's my latest game as the United States. Nothing really special about it, but the map is quite pleasing to look at.

Any questions about it, just ask away. (Image quality is crap, because I had to convert a large BMP file that Victoria II makes. It was 35MB in size. So this one is a less than 1MB JPG.)

V2_MAP_USA_1912_8_14_1-min.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my latest game as the United States. Nothing really special about it, but the map is quite pleasing to look at.

Any questions about it, just ask away. (Image quality is crap, because I had to convert a large BMP file that Victoria II makes. It was 35MB in size. So this one is a less than 1MB JPG.)

View attachment 351450

"pleasing to look at"

- No Canada
- "Istanbul"
- Kleindeutsche-losung
- E-L isn't German
- No Glorious Mexican Empire from Oregon to Peru and British Guinea
- "FSCA"
- "Uruguay", "Bolivia", "Paraguay"
- Outer Manchuria isn't in the hands of the Great Qing.
- Where's my Papua New Guinea at?
- No Scandanavia
- Italy hasn't got Savoy,Nice, Corsica and the Adriatic Coast.
- Bulgaria hasn't got Slavic Macedonia
- Romania isn't fully redeemed.
- An All Island Haiti
- What's a Belgium? Wallonia and Flanders got together? Why? Greater Netherlands or Bust!
- Korea isn't an integral part of Dai Nippon Teikoku.

What part of this map is pleasing again? Some minor things are nice, but it's far from perfect.

Last edited:
What part of this map is pleasing again? Some minor things are nice, but it's far from perfect.

He never said that it was perfect, though? He also didn't say it was his ideal or anything like that.

He said it was pleasing, which i'm taking to mean as there being little to no border gore to speak of, even among the computer-controlled nations.

He never said that it was perfect, though? He also didn't say it was his ideal or anything like that.

He said it was pleasing, which i'm taking to mean as there being little to no border gore to speak of, even among the computer-controlled nations.

Look, I thought the tone of the "complaints" clearly showed that I was joking. After all, I'm hardly going to seriously ask "What's a Belgium?" am I?

Look, I thought the tone of the "complaints" clearly showed that I was joking. After all, I'm hardly going to seriously ask "What's a Belgium?" am I?

Sorry about that; I actually missed that one; was distracted by the Teikoku comment. I've seen enough about Glorious Nippon Steel to not immediately assume either way.

Is any nation Fascist, Communist, or Anarcho-Liberal?
Sorry that I missed this.

Surprisingly, none at all. I have had cases where Communist parties win in elections, but do not coup the government.

The Kingdom of Romania had Anarcho-Libs elected, no coup. Had Communists elected, no coup either.

Day 2 of my UK Game.

Lots of Railroads are being Built without me asking for them to be built for some strange reason. In India I am Training lots of Artillery and Cavalry.

Using my starting Army in South Africa, I have Invaded Madagascar for no reason other than I want the Island, so I have gained a bit of Infamy, but I'm confident that I can make short work of the Madagascans with my 3 South African Units.

Also on my conquest list I have: Panjab, Sindh, the whole of Southeast Asia, Portuguese Africa, the Boer Free State, the Zulus, and potentially the United States, as I Think the East Coast would look rather appealing in Red, but that's probably my pro-UK bias talking. ;-)

Here is a Map of the Situation in India. It is still very early in the Game, so how long will I have to wait before One of the Princely States tries to Revolt?
upload_2017-12-9_13-10-12.png