Victoria 3!!!

Dev diary 27: technology

Thoughts? It absolutely seems like an improvement over the extremely rigid tech system of vic2 (while a clear relationship to the old system still can be seen), but I don't feel like this promises to be a very deep or engaging system. A shame since almost every dev diary introducing a new system has promised something that in my opinion seems much more deep and free-form than almost any other pdxgsg, this in comparison seems 'just okay'.

Last edited:
Dev diary 27: technology

Thoughts? It absolutely seems like an improvement over the extremely rigid tech system of vic2 (while a clear relationship to the old system still can be seen), but I don't feel like this promises to be a very deep or engaging system. A shame since almost every dev diary introducing a new system has promised something that in my opinion seems much more deep and free-form than almost any other pdxgsg, this in comparison seems 'just okay'.
Got no problem with the system, it seems ok. Although IMO it would actually be more in line with the general game design if research was done more indirect. Something like investments in different fields are the only way to set priorities in research - e.g. ships, shipyards and ports advance naval tech, armies and arms factories advance army tech etc. Given how unrealistically hands-off land warfare is right now, it is a bit weird that here you have an unrealistic amount of control over which tech your population researches.
Not really an issue for me, seems just a bit weird.

Although IMO it would actually be more in line with the general game design if research was done more indirect. Something like investments in different fields are the only way to set priorities in research - e.g. ships, shipyards and ports advance naval tech, armies and arms factories advance army tech etc. Given how unrealistically hands-off land warfare is right now, it is a bit weird that here you have an unrealistic amount of control over which tech your population researches.
Pretty much my thought, I don't minde the hands-off idea behind the military aspect of the game, but it seems weird to then have a bigger hand in directing research. Ideally countries with large industries would come up with industrial inventions (otl Britain, Germany and USA), countries waging lots of war would make military advancements (Prussia in the mid 19th century, everyone in WW1) and countries with more active politcal systems would make politcal advances (France, Prussia under Bismarck, Britain, USA). It would skew inventions heavily towards big countries, but I'd be fine with that, it was always weird seeing Montenegro invent the tank and Saxe-Coburg-Gotha invent fascism in Vic 2. Smaller countries would still have play trying to implement inventions other countries had invented, and occasionally have their own ones (dynamite in Sweden).

Last edited: