Vexillology in a United States with a Hohenzollern Monarchy

Hello everyone. Long time no see!

I just had a question for a timeline that I'm working on...answers will probably be mostly speculation, but I would like to hear any and all opinions regarding it.

In my timeline, Prince Fredrick Henry of Prussia accepts the Congress' offer of Kingship and becomes King Henry I of the United States. Now, for the question:

In your humble opinions, what differences to the American flag would a monarch inspire? Please feel free to describe these changes or to create a flag illustrating them. I'm excited to hear your opinions. Thanks in advance!

I found this on Wikipedia (I know I know, grain of salt and whatever):

In 1786 either Nathaniel Gorham, then President of the Continental Congress,[2] or Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben, the Prussian general who served in the Continental Army,[3] suggested to Alexander Hamilton that Henry should become President[4] or King of the United States, but the offer was revoked before the prince could make a reply.

Seems to me the offer was never serious in the first place, nothing to accept here. Seems more like a half-hearted suggestion.

I found this on Wikipedia (I know I know, grain of salt and whatever):

In 1786 either Nathaniel Gorham, then President of the Continental Congress,[2] or Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben, the Prussian general who served in the Continental Army,[3] suggested to Alexander Hamilton that Henry should become President[4] or King of the United States, but the offer was revoked before the prince could make a reply.

Seems to me the offer was never serious in the first place, nothing to accept here. Seems more like a half-hearted suggestion.

In many ways it was. Nevertheless, as far as I could tell from my (limited) research, the Congress claimed during the meeting to revoke the offer that they would not have rescinded it had Henry accepted more promptly. Whether out of embarrassment or a better motivation I can't say.

I've been wondering where to put the black-&-white myself. Maybe a Bald eagle with a Hohenzollern shield should be involved?

probably as an inescutcheon on the arms themselves instead of by themselves (such as on the pre-1918 german imperial arms)

...Wait the congress asked someoe to become king?

I am also Close to a wtf. However, if the Stars and stripes are Already pre-pod, then a King trying to Change them asks for a Return ticket or Worse. Or perhaps 13 crowns instead of Stars. :)

The seal probably changes, either a crown or the Black-White shield being incorporated. BTW, how about a double bald Eagle?

maybe wine or spirits were involved, methink....

I am also Close to a wtf. However, if the Stars and stripes are Already pre-pod, then a King trying to Change them asks for a Return ticket or Worse. Or perhaps 13 crowns instead of Stars. :)

The seal probably changes, either a crown or the Black-White shield being incorporated. BTW, how about a double bald Eagle?

I was confused when I fear stumbled upon this debacle myself. :D

And yes, the Stars and Stripes would in all likelyhood remain. Henry would be an idiot to suggest otherwise!
As four dual bald eagles...that is a VERY nifty suggestion.

a double headed eagle would look to me too much like making claims to be the new holy roman empire.

probably as an inescutcheon on the arms themselves instead of by themselves (such as on the pre-1918 german imperial arms)

An excellent suggestion. To clarify, you mean having the Hohenzollern eagle on the heraldic shield rather than just the quartered black and white shield right?

a double headed eagle would look to me too much like making claims to be the new holy roman empire.

True. I doubt that Prince Henry would choose a more imperial eagle than that of his father and forefathers...even as King.

An excellent suggestion. To clarify, you mean having the Hohenzollern eagle on the heraldic shield rather than just the quartered black and white shield right?

quick sketch:

us-hohenzollern.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting TL... Lets do it! :D the feet and the beak should be yellow. :3

Edit: Actually a double headed eagle could be justified by one head looking back towards Europe (a more expansionist, foreign meddling power) and the other looking west towards conquest of the American continent.

Interesting TL... Lets do it! :D the feet and the beak should be yellow. :3

was just meant as a quick sketch (would be better if someone did it in inkscape) but if it gives people a better idea, amended.

Edit: Actually a double headed eagle could be justified by one head looking back towards Europe (a more expansionist, foreign meddling power) and the other looking west towards conquest of the American continent.

while its fairly good as a rationale, it would still be perceived as a bit presumptious visualy speaking in my opinion.

Here is my version of the Flag of the Kingdom (used interchangeably with the Stars and Stripes).
The thirteen stripes stand for the thirteen crowns of the King (and obviously the original thirteen colonies, as in the current flag). The eagle is a modified Prussian Adler, changed to a simple white in order to be easier to produce, more fitting to the American aesthetic, and to represent the humility of the King. Lastly, the cross on the Prussian crown has been replaced with a more secular five-pointed star.

I would love some feedback if you all wouldn't mind.

Flag of the Kingdom of the United States of America.png

If we could get 'Crown Colonies' to actually be 'Crowned Colonies' run by members of the Royal Family.