USS Indianapolis vs Panzerschiff Admiral Graff Spee?

USS Indianapolis VS Graf Spee (Round 1 only)

• Indianapolis

Votes: 46 69.7%
  • Graf Spee

Votes: 20 30.3%

• Total voters
The panzerschiffe had 80 mm belts and 45 mm decks. The Indianapolis carried the pre-war marks of US 8" guns in the early mounts, so they were never able to use the super-heavy AP shells, kind of like Colorado's 16" guns being limited to the 2,200 lbs US AP. The Indianapolis's shells were 260 lbs for AP, HC, and Common. Even with the lighter shells, the Indianapolis would be able to penetrate AGS's deck beyond 18,000 yards and penetrate AGS's belt up to about 27,000 yards, so AGS would not have had an immune zone. The Brooklyn's 6"/47 Mk. 16 guns were able to handle the 6" super-heavy AP, so they would have been firing 130 lbs shells instead of the typical 100 lbs shells that guns in the 150 - 155 mm range typically fire. Navweaps doesn't have penetration curves for these guns, but it does say that the super-heavy "projectiles had almost double the penetration performance when compared against the older 6"/53 (15.2 cm) AP projectiles used for the Omaha class (CL-4) light cruisers." Based on this, I would estimate a possible immune zone for AGS in the range of 17k to 18k yards, if one even exists. The Brooklyns would be able to get belt penetrations at shorter ranges and deck penetrations at longer ranges.

Most realistically we'd be looking at an Imperial class or Tector class, both of which should heavily out gun Home One considerably.

Highly unlikely - as I said, Home One is ten times the size of an Imperator/Imperial or Tector class, and will almost certainly have greatly superior firepower, even if her power:volume ratio is lower.

In a straight up slugging match, the ISD's always had the upper hand.

Against one of the Liberty types, sure, but HO is a lot bigger than a Liberty.

If you want to continue the discussion in more detail I'm happy to, but we should probably move it to Fandom.

FBKampfer

Banned
Highly unlikely - as I said, Home One is ten times the size of an Imperator/Imperial or Tector class, and will almost certainly have greatly superior firepower, even if her power:volume ratio is lower.

If you want to continue the discussion in more detail I'm happy to, but we should probably move it to Fandom.

Gladly, just start the thread! But HO is an MC 80 cruiser, similar to the Profundity in Rouge One, is only 1300m, vs an Imperial's 1600m. You're thinking of the Viscount Star Defenders, or possibly the Raddus from the sequels.

Just as a modification to Scenario One: If Indy has a speed advantage, what if she holds off and then engages at night? Unless I am mistaken 1945 radar control is substantially superior in a night engagement, and the Graf Spee is definitely not a Japanese trained night fighter.

Home One was a cruiser. The Victory class filled the role of destroyer/frigate.

Most realistically we'd be looking at an Imperial class or Tector class, both of which should heavily out gun Home One considerably.

In a straight up slugging match, the ISD's always had the upper hand.

Home one has four more fighter squadrons though, so it just stands off while it’s air wing rips apart the Ties and then the ISD.

Home One was 1200 meters long, an Imperial II Star Destroyer or Imp Star Deuce was 1600 meters long.

Both the British and American navies made the whole light/heavy cruiser designation based solely on gun caliber look rather silly with the very powerful classes of "light" cruisers they made.
Not as silly as IJN (think Mogami CLs.......)

Both the British and American navies made the whole light/heavy cruiser designation based solely on gun caliber look rather silly with the very powerful classes of "light" cruisers they made.

Not as silly as IJN (think Mogami CLs.......)

Don't blame us! The Pensacola and Northampton were rightfully light cruisers when built, and were given the hull designation as such.

Don't blame us! The Pensacola and Northampton were rightfully light cruisers when built, and were given the hull designation as such.
Well if we can go back then why not let Fisher sell you a pair of light cruisers..... only slightly larger.

Well if we can go back then why not let Fisher sell you a pair of light cruisers..... only slightly larger.

In fact they might be large light cruisers! Which, well, seems accurate. The Deutschland class were effectively slow light cruisers, in a sense (at first I called them large, but they weren't really large).

Then again, just pointing out that the only difference between light and heavy cruisers of the time period was a label.

@USS_Ward any thought on how Cruiser No. 39 (the hybrid cruiser of 1930/31) might have fared against the Deutschland class? was considered an answer to the problem created by the German panzerschiff.

Even with the lighter shells, the Indianapolis would be able to penetrate AGS's deck beyond 18,000 yards and penetrate AGS's belt up to about 27,000 yards, so AGS would not have had an immune zone. ...
Hmmm, ... according to NavWeaps there actually should have been an "immune zone" :
from about 28.000 yards onward AGS had still had 10.000 yards of range.

Not to forget, that the mountings/turrets of the Inianapolis had due due to the veery closly spaced rifles and subsequent dispersion patterns a rather ... poor accuracy, what was at least partially rectified by reducing muzzle velocity.
Indianapolis had Mk 9 guns, not the later Mk 14 with new linings that also somewhat helped accuracy.

Therefore, Indianapolis hitting anything targeted beyond 22-25.000 yards would be a 'lucky' shot out of how many spent shells ?

What about replacing Indianapolis with Wichita, set in October 1939 when Wichita's Neutrality Patrol brings it to interrupt Deutschland capturing City of Flint.
Wichita
has the Mk12 guns compared to Indianapolis' Mk 9, so she's capable of firing four round/minute in heavier turrets without the dispersion issue, though still using the prewar 260lbs shells.
The Brooklyn-derived hull has a thicker 6.4" belt. There is no radar fitted yet.

I suspect the answer is that Deutschland maims Wichita before withdrawing, but is lamed enough to fall victim to the Force de Raid on the way home.

SsgtC

Banned
Is it correct the Constitution is the only USN ship still commissioned that has been in surface combat?
I believe she's the only one still in commission to have sunk an enemy vessel. Technically USS Pueblo is still commissioned and has seen combat. As have the ships that have engaged pirate vessels off of Africa.

SsgtC

Banned
What about replacing Indianapolis with Wichita, set in October 1939 when Wichita's Neutrality Patrol brings it to interrupt Deutschland capturing City of Flint.
Wichita
has the Mk12 guns compared to Indianapolis' Mk 9, so she's capable of firing four round/minute in heavier turrets without the dispersion issue, though still using the prewar 260lbs shells.
The Brooklyn-derived hull has a thicker 6.4" belt. There is no radar fitted yet.

I suspect the answer is that Deutschland maims Wichita before withdrawing, but is lamed enough to fall victim to the Force de Raid on the way home.
It also brings the US into the war in 1939. Or at the very least escalates the situation such that USN vessels immediately go to a war footing and begin operating under "shoot on sight" orders with regards to German ships.

Last edited:
It also brings the US into the war in 1939. Or at the very least escalates the situation sick that USN vessels immediately to to a war footing and begin operating under "shoot on sight" orders with regards to German ships.

Probablly embargos on German trade imposed. No 'Cash and Carry' allowing a trickle of US items to Germany 1939-40. Even if no DoW the US moves to 100% cooperation with the Brit Blockade imeadiatly & not incrementally as OTL.

It also brings the US into the war in 1939. Or at the very least escalates the situation sick that USN vessels immediately to to a war footing and begin operating under "shoot on sight" orders with regards to German ships.
You say "bug", I say "feature"...

SsgtC

Banned
You say "bug", I say "feature"...
Still a bug then. The US was not ready for war in 1939. The Navy was closest to "ready" and would still take months to actually get up to speed. We might be able to get one or two divisions to France in time for the fight there, but at the cost of being able to form another 2-4 divisions later.