Union of American Realms -- Not-Another-America Graphic TL

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Osk, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Osk Eu set di la Oskaña

That's roughly how I picture it as well. A hyper-AoC sort of, in every sense. (A slightly more powerful central government than the AoC one, but one whose power is extremely specific; ergo, the Union Tax, etc.).

Wars itself into self-peril? I was thinking a possible bioweapon goes haywire sometime in the 1940s? This is all very loose.

I've been thinking about the rest of the Americas a little bit. I have this in mind: a rump French-speaking Louisiana; a large Tejas covering most of OTL TX, NM, AZ and the northern Mexican states; a Californio-dominant SoCal; Russian Alaska (independent)

I haven't decided about the Oregon Valley area yet..

Haha, thanks! I've had the concept for a few years now, it's cool to put it down into actual content

Gabingston and ETGalaxy like this.
  2. Stretch The One Who Has Seen Too Much

This is a really cool TL! Any hints as to the outside world or just focusing on the Union?

Gabingston likes this.
  3. Osk Eu set di la Oskaña

I've mostly been focusing on the Union, aside from a few abstract thoughts I've had on the rest of the world. I'm open to some suggestions.

I have been toying with one idea which is that the ideology that the Union is founded on is a warped one, loosely inspired by Cromwell's failed Commonwealth. It's pushed by an TTL author and founding father named Isaac Fox, who writes a series of political pamphlets, manuscripts and novellas prior to and during TTL's war of independence. Essentially, Cromwell and his supporters are exiled to Saybrook.

Dante and Gabingston like this.
  4. Osk Eu set di la Oskaña

Hey all, I haven't had a lot of time to work on this in the last week, but I have been messing with some external borders. I'd like some help with them, if you all would be so kind:

WORLDA PROPOSAL.png

We have the Union with it's borders set (there has been a change to the borders in the OTL NY region -- the main map on the first page has been updated). Additionally, I'm envisioning a rump, French-speaking Louisiana. I'm also envisioning a rather large Tejas, that has managed to get itself a port in the Pacific and the Atlantic by way of the Gulf of Mexico and the Gulf of California. Currently I have it propping up California, but I'm also thinking of Tejas possibly having conquered California as opposed to maintaining it as a rump state.

I also know that I want the northeastern reaches to be held by Denmark/Kalmar Union(?), while having a larger Alaska that remains mostly Russian (possibly inundated with immigrations following the European collapse?).

The big question then is that state I have between Aleyska and California/Tejas... I was thinking of making it a former British colony pre-European collapse, as they tried to reinsert themselves on the continent during the 19th Century? What do y'all think?

Alternatively, if we go with Tejas having absorbed California, then that whole area could be Tejas. Which would play into a narrative of Tejas being the large, strong "centralized" state in the region as opposed to the large, strong but decentralized UAR.

Thoughts?

5. Bennett Human Time-Waster

I mean, the biggest question I have is what this "European Collapse" is. I'm assuming it is just meaning the decolonization of the Americas, but I need to double check.

Red Arturoist and Gabingston like this.
  6. Osk Eu set di la Oskaña

The "European Collapse" is a catch-all term I've decided to use for a hypothetical collapse of European nations in the early-mid 20th Century, perhaps starting in the late late 19th Century. The collapse, in my mind, isn't caused by a single event, but rather is brought about gradually by a multitude of events. I'm thinking it starts with droughts/famines hitting the continent in the late 19th Century, followed by large scale warfare in the early 20th century unchecked by outside powers like the US. I've also toyed with the climax being biowarfare that leaves a lot of Europe crippled and sparks a large refugee crisis. By the 21st Century, Europe is certainly stable again, but it took a whopping.

The collapse is a fluid concept and nothing is set in stone or canon yet!

Red Arturoist, Gabingston and Bennett like this.
  7. Bennett Human Time-Waster

Ooh, I like this tbh.
    Maybe have the former British colony be called New Albion - the British name for California?

8. Osk Eu set di la Oskaña

Ooooooh!

Perhaps New Albion is formally founded in TTL as the oldest English settlement in the New World, but is so far removed at the time of TTL's !Revolution! that it doesn't join the other colonies, before eventually breaking off on it's own either in the late 19th Century or the early 20th Century?

Gabingston likes this.
  9. Planita13 Wishing for a Lake

Hey Osk it's me. The guy with the lake TL. I really like how your own timeline is going so far. Keep up the good work!

Gabingston and Osk like this.
  10. Osk Eu set di la Oskaña

Why thanks!!

Gabingston likes this.
  11. Bennett Human Time-Waster

Would be interesting! There's a section on Wikipedia as to why the New Albion claim wasn't followed through with, but imagine how interesting it would be if it was. I can really quickly crank out a couple ideas in a new post, so I'll do that in a second

Gabingston and Osk like this.
  12. Bennett Human Time-Waster

New Albion:
    Capital: Francistown
    [​IMG]
    Governor's Manor, in Francistown (built in 1667)
    Flag:
    [​IMG]
    (Literally just the Patriote flag, but it's an idea that popped into my head)

Dante, ETGalaxy, Gabingston and 2 others like this.
  13. Osk Eu set di la Oskaña

I like this! New Albion could be a true republican/democratic contrast to UAR. It probably hates the UAR's entire ideology as impractical and prone to instability and quasi-nationalism amongst it's constituents. At the same time, it's probably disappointed with Great Britain following the *EUROPEAN COLLAPSE*. Would set up a good contrast with the UAR

It also gives room for why California is allowed to exist as a middle ground between expansionist (?) Tejas.

Red Arturoist and Gabingston like this.
  14. Osk Eu set di la Oskaña

Will get back to this soon!

ETGalaxy and Dante like this.
  15. Red Arturoist Napoleon II. - Marxist-Arturoist-Trałkaist Donor

(Pseudo-)Communist vs. reactionary powers ends first in bloody, bloody civil wars and then, some dictator has the audacity and insanity to unleash a real biowarfare attack (I imagine an Operation Vegetarian-type attack)? Or do you think other types of biowarfare would be more collapse-y?

16. Red Arturoist Napoleon II. - Marxist-Arturoist-Trałkaist Donor

Now with the New Albion idea floating, California would be most likely a Tejan puppet.

17. Osk Eu set di la Oskaña

I'm thinking I may nix Kanawha and fold it into Virginia; don't really see an opportunity for the split ITTL.

Dante and Planita13 like this.
  18. Dante Well-Known Member

It's possible that the people of Kanawha where tired of being politically dominated by the richer, plantation based east? The two halves of have always Virginia are very different economically and culturally.

19. Osk Eu set di la Oskaña

That was my initial intent, but I couldn’t find a way mentally to justify the split - as in, why would the plantation elite ever let the coal regions leave? It’s a little different from Chicago leaving Kaskasia simply because that’s a scenario where the richer, more populated area chooses to leave - here, we have a less populated area, with rich resources, that I doubt the more powerful east would willingly allow to leave.

Idk just a thought. Plus there’s currently 51 realms and I want 50 lol

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Dante likes this.
  20. Dante Well-Known Member

That's a good point, why let all that coal go? Unless there was some sort of conflict between the two? Possibly Kanawha started becoming abolitionist and and started to oppose the planter elite, maybe then it would be easier to just let them go. I like the idea of keeping them together, and all the potential conflict that the two halves would have with each other, and 50 is a nice round number.

Osk likes this.