Union and Liberty: An American TL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 5719

I don't know, as a native Texan, Tejas just always struck me as the label an oppressive regime gave our land. Just me though.

Um , wasn't "Tejas" what the native texans called "Texas", until they were conquered by foreign settlers?

Um , wasn't "Tejas" what the native texans called "Texas", until they were conquered by foreign settlers?

Just to clear up matters all around:

Tejas comes from the Spanish word for the Hasinai band of Caddo (te Has) and should most accurately describe the area around the Sabine and Red rivers [1]. Since an alternate spelling is Texas (soft X, much as Bexar County is pronounced "Behar" - or "Bear" by Anglos) this was pronounced with a hard X by the Texians, hence "Texas".

Cohuila comes from the Cohuiltecan nation along the Rio Grande.

Together Cohuila y Tejas becomes the Mexican province.

1 - in that regard the northern Texan State would more accurately be called Tejas, but when did accuracy ever play a role in political decisions? :p

I like reading this timeline, but I havent been able to find the other timeline I read. In this timeline the area around the St. Lawrence is yellow on maps in the thread because its crownlands, if that helps. I hope someone can find it for me, please.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5719

Just to clear up matters all around:

Tejas comes from the Spanish word for the Hasinai band of Caddo (te Has) and should most accurately describe the area around the Sabine and Red rivers [1]. Since an alternate spelling is Texas (soft X, much as Bexar County is pronounced "Behar" - or "Bear" by Anglos) this was pronounced with a hard X by the Texians, hence "Texas".

:p

Makes sense, the Spanish "x" was a "h" until the 18th c. Thanks, you learn something new everyday.

Part Twelve: The Summer Campaigns
I've gotten the update finished! Feel free to criticize and point out any inaccuracies, as I'm not sure if I have realistic communication or movement times. Also, I have a map ready, but I'll upload it later this morning.

Part Twelve: The Summer Campaigns

Summer of 1846:
Word of the outbreak of hostilities in Oregon spread quickly to the two governments, but it reached Washington first. The United States ordered troops to advance northward to stop the British from sending further supplies to Oregon via land. Echoing the War of 1812, most of the fighting was centered around the Great Lakes. However despite small gains by either side during the summer months, the majority of the fighting outside of Oregon came to a stalemate. There were only three real pushes that either side made in the summer months of the war. A United States force went north along the Red River to Winnipeg and laid siege to the city, but failed to capture it. The British, in turn, captured Sault Saint Marie in Marquette but failed to advance any further. In Maine, a combined land and naval attack under the joint command of General Winfield Scott and Commodore Matthew C. Perry advanced into New Brunswick. While Scott's advance stalled before it could reach Fredericton, Perry was able to lead a raid and bombardment of Saint John's. Perry had to retreat, however, when a British flotilla arrived south from Halifax to engage.

In Oregon, the summer months saw the most brutal fighting in the war. In June, President Polk and Congress passed a bill organizing any United States forces in the Oregon Country under Fremont. Fremont, commanding the newly formed Oregon battalion, moved north from Oregon City and in late July took Fort Vancouver after the short Battle of Bellevue, in which the 700 Americans and 400 local Chinook natives defeated the 300 British who were defending the fort. The Chinook had sided with the Americans after Fremont promised they could keep the lands they had settled on. Fremont continued north and rached the outskirts of Fort Nisqually by the end of August.

Aside from Fremont's campaign, Gilpin led forces from Forts Choteau and Bonneville along the north bank of the Columbia River to encircle Fort Okanogan. They reached the fort and surrounded it starting in early August. To cease supplies from reaching the fort, the soldiers attacked and fired upon any ships in the Columbia River that were heading for the fort. The small fort did not hold out for very long due to the lack of supplies and the men inside had surrendered by the end of the month. Meanwhile, a small British naval force on the Pacific began harassing shipping enterring the Columbia and bombarding Fort Astoria.

Geekis Khan said:
1 - in that regard the northern Texan State would more accurately be called Tejas, but when did accuracy ever play a role in political decisions? :p
Indeed. :D

vultan said:
Great update, but i think the Chinook are gonna be disappointed later on.:rolleyes:
I have to agree with you on that. :p

And now, the map!

Red and blue are as always, if there is an outline it means that it is being besieged by the color of the outline.

Oregon War 2.png

Just a thought:
Is there gonna be a ban on Asian immigration in the Republic of Califorinia later on?

mowque

Banned
I don't know much about this time period, so i can't say anything about that. Great read, though. Like the maps! Will a larger West Coast cause some weird butterflies in Pacific policy later? ;)

Personally I'd find the concept of the US losing and a British Dominion of Cascadia more compelling.

So, is the US gonna annex all the Oregon country?

lothaw said:
This is 1846... it's not a forgone conclusion that the US can defeat Britain on it's own at this point.

vultan said:
Well, for the sake of the question, let's assume that America does, somehow, win the war.
I have the border changes after the Oregon War written up, now I just have to figure out how to get the war in the write circumstances for the peace to make sense. :D

vultan said:
Just a thought:
Is there gonna be a ban on Asian immigration in the Republic of Califorinia later on?

mowque said:
I don't know much about this time period, so i can't say anything about that. Great read, though. Like the maps! Will a larger West Coast cause some weird butterflies in Pacific policy later? ;)
I haven't thought that far ahead for the US and California's policies in the Pacific, but I'm pretty sure there will be some butterflies. And I'll consider a ban on Asian immigrants to California.

Part Thirteen: A Winter in Oregon
Just got another update done. I'll get a map up tomorrow. It's the beginning of the end for the Oregon War! :)

Part Thirteen: A Winter in Oregon

Oregon War, Winter of 1846:
As the months went on and summer turned to winter, the British soldiers in Fort Nisqually were running low on supplies and surrendered. Fremont continued north along the coast while William Gilpin's men went upstream along the Columbia. Gilpin and his company quickly reached and captured Fort Colville. Gilpin continued up the Columbia River and in October, intercepted a supply train taking supplies from the Hudson Bay Company headquarters of York Factory to British settlements in Oregon. After the supply wagons surrendered, Gilpin's men hatched a plan where they would follow the supply train west to Fort Thompson and use it to capture the fort. The plan worked, and Fort Thompson fell at the beginning of November. The capture of the supply train would play a vital part in the success of the Americans during the winter campaigns in Oregon.

While Gilpin was heading for Fort Thompson, Fremont's men continued north along the coast and reached Fort Langley in mid-December. By then the fort was dangerously short on supplies after Gilpin had captued the supply train. After a week, the soldiers in Fort Langley laid down their arms and surrendered. Fremont and Gilpin remained in Fort Langley and Fort Thompson for the remainder of the winter.

Meanwhile, in Britain, Parliament was clamoring for negotitations to begin with the United States as they had other things to worry about. The winter of 1846-47 was a harsh one in Britain, and combined with the tensions and emigration of many Irishmen due to the ongoing famine on the island, many Parliamentarians felt that the protection of the Columbia Department was of low interest to the United Kingdom at the time. In early 1847, it was decided that negotiations with the United States would begin. President Polk was also eager to begin negotiations as support for the war was beginning to fall in the States as well.

Yes! Can we expect regular updates again?
I'll try to get working on the updates faster, but I probably won't be able to do much for the next couple weeks until I'm done with school. I do have a few things that I've worked on for after the Oregon War though so I should be able to get at least through the rest of Polk's presidency by then.

I will get another update done this weekend, and from then I'll aim for one or two updates a week. Tomorrow I have most of the major stuff due for school other than finals so I should have a lighter load for the rest of the school year.

Status
Not open for further replies.