yes, have you seen the map of Europe btw?
Yes
Well until centralisation of late 17th century expect multiple States to pop up between Baikal and Kamchatka. And the impetus for further horde expansion east would be a new competitor in the Mongol steppes, can you guess who?
Definitely could see one of the GH's biggest political/cultural/social phenomena of that age being "The Great Push East"

We might see scholars coin the term in later centuries as a way to "Unify The steppe" or "Return to the roots" as very ancient turkish people still lived there or atleast were present in these lands for over several millenia

Think of it as GH Equivalent of Manifest Destiny except for Islamic turco-mongols slowly finding peace in settlement instead of endless roaming,

However the early settlement in the frontier will likely face whatever large state or poltical chaos coming out of the Tarim basin and the current hui influence in Ming courts

I don't know how actively the Chinese might be in stopping GH steady influence in lands further north of jurchen lands

well l it was bound to happen since Aslan was raised in Ottoman empire and his mother was the Ottoman princess Iladi. The brief Ottoman Tatar wars which resulted in Aslan getting the throne sealed the Ottoman supremacy in the minds of the Khan who would leave no stones unturned to emulate them.
I honestly believe that steady ottoman poltical and cultural spread to GH will either replace or assimilate persian culture in court and daily life

in late medieval age persian culture became dominant in the islamic world but that steadily changed with thr arrival of the shia

Then with ottoman rule bringing centuries of stability and unity in the muslim world you saw steady ottoman influence replacing persian

Intl it might be even more pronounced with the shia state in power in eastern persia disrupting trade and closer ottoman Golden Horde trade relations along with military and poltical overhaul to mirror ottoman administrative capacity even further the obvious Turkish heritage between both states and both states fighting wars against crusaders

I could definitely see a symbiotic relationship growing between the ottomans and Golden horde
(BTW have you thought about coming up for a name for the Golden horde state, maybe Aslanoglu or maybe Ozbegoglu, Chinggisid, Ulus Jochi)

What's your take on the arab Confederation in Nejd?
This confederacy would pretty much bring shia influence in basra and the khaleej region to an end

The shia state that has recently risen up will definitely want revenge for there people and I see imam this Arabian Confederation being one of the biggest bulwark against further shia expansion past mashriq

This confederacy could very well be a Juggernaut in the Arabian region though how well they will work together with the Omani is up for debate

Yep, and things in south are gonna be messy for a while. How would the local powers like Vijaynagara react to this will set the future of these conquests. But I have some ideas regarding it. And Somali corsairs being Viking analogue for india is😋.
Somali Vikings is just amazing 😆😆😆
And the corsair era in the Hind sea is definitely going to go crazy tbh

Vijaynagara themselves already have deccan muslim states in the north to worry about and as you know battle of tolkata which brought a brutal end to the lavish state

Should something like this happen against it would release the flood gates of siddi/somali Omani influence on the coasts and Further in land across the western ghatt and eastern Indian region

Yes but It'll be a while until the dust settles down in Delhi. Despite having a far larger power base than OTL Mughals things will still be difficult with Mushahiya in the west. our young Sultan Mustafa is actually defying the warning of his albino father about marching straight onto Delhi. For now Bengal is secured as the Paramount power in Eastern indian floodplains.

Have you thought about anyway Bengal could send expeditions into indo-china

Besides champa and parts of southern ayyuthayah I haven't really seen dedicated islamic push in this region and the Bengal already being somewhat present in thr arakan region

Arenwe going to see any sort of islamic presence in indo-china soon

If you remember the wokou kings and generals update there will be prominent figures serving the Brunei against the Omani Malay axis in Nusantara. And with a southern focused Ayutthaya for now, things indeed look bleak for Malaya.

Wonderful
ive been Longing to see thr wokou update for a while
in the upcoming Brunei v omani/Malay war
What positions will the further states play

how will the chinese react to this?
How will the Japanese react to islamic wokou expeditions far out into the eastern Indian Ocean and dealings with the Omani

Lastly what role will the somali/omani wars hold in the malay region
Yes, also remember that the war of 3 crowns is still raging on and it doesn’t look like Portugal may win. However I'm skeptical about Oman and Adal suddenly forgetting their differences to fight the Europeans. Even if they do, It'll be a rather shaky alliance with conflicting interests. So in any battle the pendulum will swing to the portuguese.

Another thing is losing many territories initially to understand the gravity of this new threat. This is not a power that wants its stake in the trade route. This power wants to disrupt the trade and build their own trade routes. And by the time they band together Portugal would already have large parts of Hind ocean. trade route

Your right
Early portugese expansion although slightly halted due to resoruce deprivation from wars will most likely be very successful at the start

The portugese will never be a new threat not seen before by the players in those seas

Unless they cajole and threaten Oman and Adal to sit together against their common enemy the alliance will be late.That Won't happen anytime soon. Because Ottomans will be rather busy in 1490s. Why? Check the update before Europe mapdate.

This literally reminds me of the previous comment i made about the Omani/somali equivalent of the Treaty of tordesillas being signed in Konstantinye under the watch of the ottoman Sultan 😆😆😆

A protugese threat could very well bring something like this about
I'm just glad this scenario reminded me of it

That's what is gonna happen initially. East coast Africa will be good as gone. But probably Portugal will not be able to conquer much in western ghats because continental affairs would force them to withdraw.

I think most of the next century in Adal Courts will revolve around how to liberate Kilwa and much of east Africa from portugese control

Almost a sort of reconquista as the previous points I made about the somali tryin to circumnavigate swahili trade by colonizing inner lands of east Africa and large parts of the great lakes
This could easily be replaced by the need to oust the portugese

the Adal state would definitely try to create methods of bylassing Portuguese control of kilwa and many other southern city states in east Africa

As for the western ghatts I see many Muslims in kilwa sultanate fleeing across the sea to india to come under the siddi ruled Malabar coast and steady demographic built up could see the Omani and Somali vying for control of costal regions as portugese cut of much needed trade connections in the western Hind sea

Yes, that is why Portugal will be a bit nerfed in Hind ocean ITTL but I think reading about the initial blitzkrieg will leave you and some other readers frustrated 😁. You should also remember that Somali intra and inter clan rivalry would also insinuate Portuguese dominance in the conflicts.

I can also see a lot of Somali going to western ghats and far east of the Hind ocean if Portugal steamrolls over Swahili coast. The Portuguese will still want to join with Axumite prester 'Yohan'. So India will likely be a latter priority.

I've wanted to know for a while how is thr adal governmental Establishment looking

As a union between 2 states would we see a polish Lithuanian commonwealth Establishment form

If so can we see the Ajuraan administration impact the largely tribal kingdom asal goverment

Since ajuraan was a Thallocratic Theocratic Elective Tribal confederacy

Fuse it with the Tribal kingdom style adal government and you Have a Thallocratic Theocratic Elective Tribal Kingdom

I definitely see the adal Tribal inter wars and clan rivalry leading to the Ajuraan imams creating an organized rebellion while unifying the squabbling tribes and eventually sitting down the Adal King, drawing up and writing down a formal law that encompasses unity and equality among the 5 major clans, takes Supreme power from the leader so that a tyrant can never rise up among one single clan
(This includes the previous tyranny seen in the previous ajuraan Establishment)

The imams will make the equivalent of a proto Magna Carta/proto constitution however much of the laws seen in western versions already exist in islam

So the imams make the Adal Sultan sign the Document as a pledge between The Adal State and its people to both build trust between the clans and the state and end the Poltical maneuverings in the court

Then the Imams ask for the building of a separate body of governance besides the court as a Byproduct between the crown and the People

The imams will vote on a council of of 50 members with 10 from every clan of the 5 major clans

5 Tribal chiefs and 5 learned scholars from each tribe
This will build the council known as the Shura to mirror the early Rashidun caliphate of the prophets Time

And the governing body would be the "imaatinka" (basically a parliament and the word literally translates to "Gathering")

👍👍
Sound good

Definitely could see one of the GH's biggest political/cultural/social phenomena of that age being "The Great Push East"

We might see scholars coin the term in later centuries as a way to "Unify The steppe" or "Return to the roots" as very ancient turkish people still lived there or atleast were present in these lands for over several millenia

Think of it as GH Equivalent of Manifest Destiny except for Islamic turco-mongols slowly finding peace in settlement instead of endless roaming,
Interesting philosophical take on manifest destiny analogue. I wonder how Turkic identity would develop ITTL without the racist bullshit of CUP. It would definitely be more islamicate where we can see Turks projecting Tengrism as proto monotheism and praising 'monotheist' Turkic empires for their historic struggle against Pagan Chinese ( even moreso since China won't have it's century of humiliations ITTL). Even in OTL you can see figures like Oghuz Khan strongly associated with Islam.
However the early settlement in the frontier will likely face whatever large state or poltical chaos coming out of the Tarim basin and the current hui influence in Ming courts

I don't know how actively the Chinese might be in stopping GH steady influence in lands further north of jurchen lands
If the former happens China will be in too much trouble to do anything about Tatars. The polity arising from Tarim basin might jostle with GH over suzerainty of East Siberia marcher states but that's it. Their focus would be in south where It's more rich anyway.
honestly believe that steady ottoman poltical and cultural spread to GH will either replace or assimilate persian culture in court and daily life

in late medieval age persian culture became dominant in the islamic world but that steadily changed with thr arrival of the shia

Then with ottoman rule bringing centuries of stability and unity in the muslim world you saw steady ottoman influence replacing persian

Intl it might be even more pronounced with the shia state in power in eastern persia disrupting trade and closer ottoman Golden Horde trade relations along with military and poltical overhaul to mirror ottoman administrative capacity even further the obvious Turkish heritage between both states and both states fighting wars against crusaders

I could definitely see a symbiotic relationship growing between the ottomans and Golden horde
Yes, I agree. The 'otherness' of Persian culture happened with the rise of Safavids in OTL, Let's see how far the new ferqa goes. There haven’t been any attempts on forced conversion by the Mushashiya yet. But even if that happened, we might see a large Sunni migration into Golden horde territory in Mwerunnahr. That might just be the kindling to keep the flame of Persian culture alive. So assimilation it is. But in terms of administration and military structure, the Tatars will definitely mirror the Ottomans due to obvious advantage. And let's see how far the Osmanli and Jochi can take their symbiotic destiny in the face of a new threat in the near future.
if you’ve read the Europe update, you’ll know that a crusade is knocking on the door and there’s no allusion to who is the target.
BTW have you thought about coming up for a name for the Golden horde state, maybe Aslanoglu or maybe Ozbegoglu, Chinggisid, Ulus Jochi)
Ulus jochi might be the obvious choice but I'm thinking more on the lines of 'Great state'
This confederacy would pretty much bring shia influence in basra and the khaleej region to an end

The shia state that has recently risen up will definitely want revenge for there people and I see imam this Arabian Confederation being one of the biggest bulwark against further shia expansion past mashriq

This confederacy could very well be a Juggernaut in the Arabian region though how well they will work together with the Omani is up for debate
I understand, but it would be a miracle if Bani Yas can actually dislodge Mushashiya from southern iraq which is their core territory unlike OTL Safavids who were a bunch of steppe nomads loitering around Azerbaijan region. Don't forget that Mushashiya are utilising gunpowder Weapons and are fighting on equal footing against Shaybanids and Mustafavids/Khurasan Sultanate so far. But on Khaleej region, I agree.
Somali Vikings is just amazing 😆😆😆
And the corsair era in the Hind sea is definitely going to go crazy tbh

Vijaynagara themselves already have deccan muslim states in the north to worry about and as you know battle of tolkata which brought a brutal end to the lavish state

Should something like this happen against it would release the flood gates of siddi/somali Omani influence on the coasts and Further in land across the western ghatt and eastern Indian region
With Barbary corsairs in the west and Somali in the east, I can see a tradition of Naval warfare actually develop and have a lasting influence in the greater Muslim world.

As for Vijaynagara, we must remember that that was a very very foolish and egoistic part on them when they angered all Bahmani sultanates, otherwise they were contently watching themselves getting played against each other. But that doesn’t mean Somali won't have lasting presence in Malabar coast and this might just be the reason⬇

As for the western ghatts I see many Muslims in kilwa sultanate fleeing across the sea to india to come under the siddi ruled Malabar coast and steady demographic built up could see the Omani and Somali vying for control of costal regions as portugese cut of much needed trade connections in the western Hind sea

Have you thought about anyway Bengal could send expeditions into indo-china

Besides champa and parts of southern ayyuthayah I haven't really seen dedicated islamic push in this region and the Bengal already being somewhat present in thr arakan region

Arenwe going to see any sort of islamic presence in indo-china soon
Hmm now that I think a naval oriented Bengal Sultanate actually makes more sense. But their sphere won't cross the Andaman Archipelago I believe. At best they can collude with Oman and help the nascent Bathein Emirate of Irrawaddy delta to expand north so as to deny Buddhist Ava Kingdom any coastal access.

There is already the Bathein, Omani have retreated from southern Thailand and Champa is a bit tricky. But situation will change as 16th century rolls forward. These states should keep their eyes on the east👀
Wonderful
ive been Longing to see thr wokou update for a while
in the upcoming Brunei v omani/Malay war
What positions will the further states play

how will the chinese react to this?
How will the Japanese react to islamic wokou expeditions far out into the eastern Indian Ocean and dealings with the Omani
I guess you can easily assume that like the Maluku islands the states will be divided into blocs of Oman vs Brunei. Wokou are currently going through their Golden age if you remember that update which covered period upto 1498.

Chinese will say 'good riddance, they are not plaguing our coasts anymore.' as for Japan, they are still in Sengoku Jidai and I'm trying to translate a japanese map of 1490 to get a better idea.
Lastly what role will the somali/omani wars hold in the malay region
Nothing good for the spice trade I presume, now with Portugal in western Hind ocean.
Your right
Early portugese expansion although slightly halted due to resoruce deprivation from wars will most likely be very successful at the start

The portugese will never be a new threat not seen before by the players in those seas
Can you elaborate on the last paragraph here? I think I'm a bit confused at what you are trying to say.
This literally reminds me of the previous comment i made about the Omani/somali equivalent of the Treaty of tordesillas being signed in Konstantinye under the watch of the ottoman Sultan 😆😆😆

A protugese threat could very well bring something like this about
I'm just glad this scenario reminded me of it
This Won't be happening at least until 1510 that's a guarantee. But I have this in my mind. The situation in Hind coast will be very problematic as different taifas will support different power blocs. so I expect this treaty to be more complex than Tordesillas with Ottomans having compensatory places here and there( like the monkey dividing the bread between the rats).
I've wanted to know for a while how is thr adal governmental Establishment looking

As a union between 2 states would we see a polish Lithuanian commonwealth Establishment form

If so can we see the Ajuraan administration impact the largely tribal kingdom asal goverment

Since ajuraan was a Thallocratic Theocratic Elective Tribal confederacy

Fuse it with the Tribal kingdom style adal government and you Have a Thallocratic Theocratic Elective Tribal Kingdom

I definitely see the adal Tribal inter wars and clan rivalry leading to the Ajuraan imams creating an organized rebellion while unifying the squabbling tribes and eventually sitting down the Adal King, drawing up and writing down a formal law that encompasses unity and equality among the 5 major clans, takes Supreme power from the leader so that a tyrant can never rise up among one single clan
(This includes the previous tyranny seen in the previous ajuraan Establishment)
I took your earlier proposition of Castile Aragon type union and Adal Sultanate now controls Ajuraan with the help of a strongman Ishaq( if you remember from the last masala wars update) who is like a chancellor and playing different tribes Against each other to his benefit. But how long can that last.

As for the rebellion, I can see it happening only in the wake of a Major defeat against Axum or Portugal otherwise Adal centralization would speed up with the Portuguese threat and the fate of Swahili States further south will dissuade any opportunistic uprising. But history is many times build on whims. I can see the Taifa system of neighbouring Oman influencing the 'democratic imams' here.
The imams will make the equivalent of a proto Magna Carta/proto constitution however much of the laws seen in western versions already exist in islam

So the imams make the Adal Sultan sign the Document as a pledge between The Adal State and its people to both build trust between the clans and the state and end the Poltical maneuverings in the court

Then the Imams ask for the building of a separate body of governance besides the court as a Byproduct between the crown and the People

The imams will vote on a council of of 50 members with 10 from every clan of the 5 major clans

5 Tribal chiefs and 5 learned scholars from each tribe
This will build the council known as the Shura to mirror the early Rashidun caliphate of the prophets Time

And the governing body would be the "imaatinka" (basically a parliament and the word literally translates to "Gathering")
These are all brilliant ideas. But please clarify first, the 5 tribes are Argobba, Harari, Silte, Harla and Hadrami, Right?

Is this the shia state or the eastern timurid state??

Also my choice is probably second one
The eastern Timurid (?) state aka Khurasan khanate that would likely take upon the name of its current leader ( Mustafa the jochid, descendant of Atrak)

I guess the black motif would go well with their Gurgtug troops also carrying the same colour as background for their white wolf standard.

I love all the details about how the nomadic Golden Horde is gradually yet steadily transitioning into a sedentary and centralized state. I don't think this has been done in-depth in AH before. Are the Timurid successors in Manchuria/Mongolia undergoing a similar process or are they still mostly tribal?

The one concern is how long will the Golden Horde be able to reliably field its legendary missile cavalry? That's one type of soldier it's damn hard to train a sedentary population in to. (Could they have some luck putting mounted soldiers from settled regions that know the basics of cavalry warfare under the training of units from nomadic regions to teach them the finer details)
. It was more of an administrative maneuver than a religious binding as no incumbent Khan of the golden horde ever took a journey to Hejaz.
Huh, how common was this across the islamic world OTL? Because if the Khans never undertake the hajj, that could put their faith in question.

love all the details about how the nomadic Golden Horde is gradually yet steadily transitioning into a sedentary and centralized state. I don't think this has been done in-depth in AH before. Are the Timurid successors in Manchuria/Mongolia undergoing a similar process or are they still mostly tribal?
Timurid Aqbars successor states like the Neo Chagtai/Ferghana khanate, the rising northern Yuan and the Jurchen confederations to are different in this regard. The latter two are mostly tribal as you can guess but the former being influenced by both Golden horde and Ming empire is somewhat better centralized ( still they needed outside help to fought off the Mongols pre-Alauddin period)
The one concern is how long will the Golden Horde be able to reliably field its legendary missile cavalry? That's one type of soldier it's damn hard to train a sedentary population in to. (Could they have some luck putting mounted soldiers from settled regions that know the basics of cavalry warfare under the training of units from nomadic regions to teach them the finer details)
Golden horde still has outremer regions like Siberia to draw Cavalry from, not counting the Crimea region who are at the vanguard of any Tatar army foray in the West. That can comfortably happen upto early 18th century. Crimeans may be outdated by the turn of the mid 17th century as Europe goes around new techniques. Or if they can evolve into gunpowder Cavalry.
, how common was this across the islamic world OTL? Because if the Khans never undertake the hajj, that could put their faith in question.
Considering no Ottoman sultan was able to perform hajj except Unlucky Osman II of who desired going on hajj( which was again his cover up for recruitment of a new army Against Janissaries) , I'd say it's fairly common.

Last edited:
Golden horde still has outremer regions like Siberia to draw Cavalry from, not counting the Crimea region who are at the vanguard of any Tatar army foray in the West. That can comfortably happen upto early 18th century. Crimeans may be outdated by the turn of the mid 17th century as Europe goes around new techniques. Or if they can evolve into gunpowder Cavalry.
Thanks for the summary. I would expect a transition to gunpowder cavalry, historically how much difficulty did the steppe peoples have with the transition from horse archers to mounted musketmen?

Thanks for the summary. I would expect a transition to gunpowder cavalry, historically how much difficulty did the steppe peoples have with the transition from horse archers to mounted musketmen?
There were Bashkir Tatars acting as gunpowder Cavalry for Russian empire. They were notable during Nepoleonic wars and participated in occupation of Paris( despite modern Russian sources discrediting them). So I'd say they could adopt quite well.

However, Bashkir entry into Russian army had a side effect, settlement of these groups and abandonment of Nomadism . Suffice to say apart from Siberia I think most of Golden horde would be settler population by early 18th century.

chaos unfolds
News from the frontiers

My esteemed Khan,

To some, the metropolis of Samarqand might be known for its vanity. But perhaps no one is near the inhabitants of Mwerunnehr in when it comes to singing the praises of your kin. People from all walks of life commemorate your bloodless conquest through poems, praise and the contentment in the current prosperity which Allah bestowed upon us. More and more people are thanking your late father, may Allah grant him jannah, in the light of the recent atrocities committed by pagan Oirats on the innocent God fearing people of Tarim basin. Personally speaking, my Shaykh Musa Al Gharni specifically expresses frequent gratitude to Allah for blessing us with Khan Aslan.

The Oirats have sent a messenger who demands we address his rabble rouser of a leader with the title of ‘Khagan’. Talk about the audacity of that infidel! He wanted to travel to Sarai but I have saved him some trouble by beheading him. I would rather have as much less of his body parts sullying your court.

The filthy head of an infidel messenger isn’t the only gifts I have sent, for your exalted majesty needs to bask in the glory of the great empire that your ancestors carved through blood and sweat. I have sent some high quality Chinese porcelain pots, as well as a golden mirror along with other things which I hope would be appreciated by your family. We are seeing an influx of Chinese goods since our vassal Alauddin arose in prominence around Tarim. He’s a bit too free with the Chinese and houses imperial envoys and officials in Ferghana all year around. But that is probably due to his upbringing in Sihan[1], a city which eluded his ancestor Emir Timur. He is now in pursuit of an infidel Oirat retinue in eastern steppes.

Though it would be unwise to pester you within only 2 years of your reign, I can’t help but declare with joy that your intelligent proposal of a canal between Ital and Tunais rivers to ease communication between the steppes and the rest of muslim world has been approved with glee by the ulema and people in general. Troubles persisting in Persia for half a century have hampered hajj pilgrims for quite a while now. The pious in Samarqand are excited about their high chances of making a trip to see the house of God in Makka in the subsequent years. You have always looked after people’s welfare so I swore to them on my life that you’d see through this. I’m writing this letter on 7 Jumada Awwal, 895* years after Hijra.

Your humble subordinate

Datu beg

*April, 1490

[1] city of Xian

118435181_qazan04.jpg

Image: Khan Ildar Hakimedin, son of Aslan

******************************************************************************************​

My honorable Khan, conqueror of the Rus and their eternal guardian, I bring you grave news from the land of the Lutes(Lithuanians). Your ally Sigismund has decided to betray you and aid a Muscovite noble named Igor on the throne of Ishkob(Pskov). From my Muscovite contacts I found out that this man had been disgraced by the current Prince Ivan as he was rumored to be a closet catholic. The treacherous snake’s plan is to gather his followers, some peasant rabble that goes by the name of ‘Qozak’ from the south and of course, the traitors among the Rus. I know you hate Ivan because of his recent insubordination but at the moment if you replace him we’ll lose a stable bulwark against these conspirators. Of course, you are the Khan and your great army can lay waste to any of the nearby states with the speed of wind. But if I digress, you always spoke that trade is the backbone of any state. My humble opinion in this regard is to keep Ivan in throne for now and keep the trade stable, for war is no friend of the merchants.

If God wills, you might even score a massive victory against Sigismund. As you know, his enemies amongst Lutes and Poles are numerous and I’ve uncovered a plot that aims to do away with him. If it succeeds the antagonist state will fall into further anarchy and you can carve out more territories from them, taking advantage of this chaos. I have also heard that numerous Frankish lords from all over western Europe have gathered in the new duchy of Astana(Estonia) to discuss the fate of independent trade cities inside Lithuania. So your enemies will soon fight amongst themselves, is there any news more soothing to your ears, my Khan? I’m trying as hard as I can to keep my presence discreet, may Lord help me in my endeavors. Our benevolent benefactor, May you be blessed with a long and healthy reign, decorated by numerous victories. I’m writing this letter on 19 Rajab, 896* years after the exodus from Makkah.

Your subtle servant

‘The lone watcher’

*May 1491

_Lithuanian Grand Duke__ for Joan of Arc boardgame by Mythic Games. Artist Catalin Lartist.jpg

Image: Sigismund, Grand duke of Lithuania

European aristocrats in Lutsk.jpeg

Image: European nobles gathering in Reval, Estonia

My noble Khan, great ruler of Tatars, I’m writing to you with a heavy heart. Two years have passed since the prestigious house of Osman has been locked in an internecine conflict that threatens to not only erase their control but to plunge the wider Muslim world into disarray and chaos. The heirs Musa and Mahmud, both are adamant in their own will to inherit the throne of Konstantiniyye. For now Musa is on the offensive as he gathers his allies from eastern Anatolia to strike at the heart of Mahmud’s power center. It has been six months since the ‘Sultan’ Mahmud has been cut off from his Balkan holdings due to rebellion of Hersekzade Suleiman pasha. But without an imperial authority the muslims will be easy prey for vultures lurking nearby.

Rumors of a crusading army consisting of Magyars and Franks gathering north of Duna river[1] have trickled down to the capital. The atmosphere in Konstantiniyye is tense and people are more inclined to hear new gossip from the bazars than to pray to God for the alleviation of the crisis. If crusaders strike now, the divided Ottomans can’t stop them from overrunning the Balkans, the capital itself might be at risk. Though I’m confused as to why Venetians have kept to trade inside the empire and not acted upon this opportunity. Italian states are still busy fighting each other, rather than taking this golden chance. Such confusing times! Also Ali Pasha of Masr has been quiet and not taken up any side till now. It seems that he is one of the wiser ones to sit out the conflict, or maybe he’s planning to declare himself lord of an independent Masr.

It has been a week since Mahmud has left the capital to fight his brother Musa somewhere in central Anatolia. This battle might not be the end but the start of new troubles. There are also reports of Turkoman raids from Persia, though it seems that Musa has crushed them near Otluk Beli. He is a strict and cruel man but very kind to his subordinates, which is why his troops follow him with an almost religious zeal. This also explains why he was able to defeat a Gurjan(Georgian) incursion upon Trabzon while fighting against his brother simultaneously. On the opposite, Mahmud is a man of principle and a modest character, he is also loved by the Janissaries. Though some in the capital says Janissaries actually support him because he doesn’t take actions against the irregularities which many of them participate sometimes.

Please make dua for the muslims across the empire. May Allah protect the grand empire built by Muhammad the Kaiser. I’m writing this letter on 16 Shaban, 896* years after the Hijrah.

Your obedient official,

Envoy to Ottoman Empire

Yaqub Ferhad

*June 1491

[1] Danube river

800px-Bayezid-Selim.jpg

Image: Battle of Kayseri where Shehzade Musa defeated army of Shehzade Mahmud and captured him, becoming the next sultan of the Ottoman Empire and ending the 2 years long Ottoman interregnum

************************************************************************************************

The marriage that changed Portugal

Lisbon was besieged in Rajab 894 (June 1489) following the decisive Castilian victory at battle of Merida. King Peter II was in a fix on what to do. His explorers were still nowhere near finding a route to east while an antagonistic Hafsid sultanate hampered trade, further putting strain on the finances. King Charles was facing his own problems, however. Due to a revolt in Nasrid emirate, the mercenaries led by Abu Musa Al Zafar left the frontier, thus depriving the Catholic monarch of a veteran force. To cut off the losses, Charles bluffed that ‘thousands of Moorish corsairs would raze Lisbon’. Interestingly, a flotilla of Kubri ships passed near Portuguese coast just three days before Charles’s bluff. Possibly they were on their way to Sahel from Talentiya. Whether or not Charles knew about this flotilla, the effects were instant. Peter II surrendered and the peace talks began. Finally both sides agreed to a marriage between Charles’s son by his ‘legitimate queen’ Margaret, Philip and Peter II’s younger daughter Catherine. This marriage alliance would cement Castilian claim on Portugal as Peter II had no surviving sons after the death of James.

The marriage was held in Toledo and was deemed as a gesture at promoting the ‘Iberian fraternity’. In reality the Portuguese nobles wore glum expressions in contrast with the cheery demeanor of their Castilian counterparts. An exception was the widowed duchess of Viseu, Beatrice and the condestable of Castile Juan Carlos. They behaved like a young couple in love and stole the spotlight from the original couple in the ceremony. Juan was beginning to take after his King Charles in polygyny, making Beatrice into his mistress despite already having a wife.

IMG_20221001_203415.jpg

Image: King Charles ‘the glutton’ at the wedding feasts of his son.

But this would not go unchallenged. Everyone knew where Charles was going with this marriage. Andre Sebastian, duke of Coimbra and the husband of Eleanor, the elder daughter of King Peter II was in staunch opposition to any dynastic union between the two kingdoms. He was further enraged by Charles’s reluctance to stop the illicit affair between Juan and Beatrice, with the latter being his cousin. He saw his chance at becoming the ruler if he could dispute the Portuguese throne after Peter’s death. Such began the era of political intrigues in the court of Lisbon. This rivalry was compounded by bad relationship between Eleanor and Catherine. The nobles were not clearly divided into two and some sought to improve their status in the most centralized state of Europe.

Another place where this rivalry seeped in was the exploration. Contrary to popular belief, the weakening of Portuguese monarchy spurred the Portuguese seamen to discover the route to Hind even faster, now being backed by various nobles. Explorers also chose their camps in this conflict. This culminated in the successful rounding of Africa by Duarte Manuel and his interaction with the Quiqui people[1] of southern Africa near Cabo de Alabo( Cape of relief)[2] in Rajab 895 (June 1490). He would sail further east till the mouth of the Boru river. He was a supporter of Princess Eleanor and a close aide to Andre Sebastian. But the glory of actually reaching the Hind ocean would go to Diego Alvarez Pereira, the proselytizer of Kongo. He was part of the Catherine clique.

_The_Portuguese_and_Hottentots_,_from_page_74_of__Pioneers_in_South_Africa__(1914)_(14760195211).jpg

Image: Portuguese meeting Quiqui people

Diego would begin his journey amidst much difficulty as his fleet would be ambushed near Ngola by Kubri corsairs. After fighting them off, his crew had to face a violent storm near Namib which destroyed two out of six ships. In Ramadan 895 (August 1491), he reached Cape Alabo and saw the padraos erected by Duarte Manuel. He wanted to go further east but was vehemently opposed by some of his crew. On two occasions the crews were on the verge of mutiny and Diego himself faced several assassination attempts. But the loyalty of his deputy Tristao Gomez allowed him to keep most of his crew under control. He sailed against the Mukafa current[3] and reached near Mabane bay[4]. He named the peninsula Santa Vondoma, an alternate title for Virgin Mary, the patron saint of his birthplace Porto. He would meet people from Mutapa kingdom further east and from them he heard of Sofala. He also found the wreckage of a dhow in a nearby coast, confirming his suspicions that the spice route used by Arab merchants were near.

arrival_by_styoo_dbfb212-pre.jpg

Image: Portuguese ships near Mozambiq coast

In Shawwal 895 (September 1491), Diego Alvarez finally reached Sofala and bought sacks of pepper, mace and precious carts of cloves. The shrewd Diego noticed that there had been tension between the Local Emir and the Mutapa chiefs. This was something he would be looking forward to exploit in his future voyages.

The Moorish fleet that spooked Peter II to accept Castilian terms was returning from a voyage of Talentiya. This was sponsored by Farema Khalid, Emir of Sijilmassa emirate. The expedition was led by Ismail Wararni and featured prominent figures like Sufian Al Jalil and Muhammad Izem , all who will leave their marks in the exploration of the new continent. In Saffar 893 (February 1488), a fleet of 6 ships started from Massa and reached Mudkhal al Gharb[5] after 25 days. Following a week of rest, the fleet divided into two portions and sailed in different directions. The flotilla under Ismail Wararni sailed north and reached the Islands of Juzr Al Siqaya[6] but were dissuaded from landing there due to persuasion of their Qahlina guide who told them of a monstrous tribe living in those islands. Actually they were referring to the Karib people who raided the Qahlina in recent history. On their return they stumbled onto an island. Here they met a group of amicable people who called themselves ‘Higui’. Following a 3 days stay at the island of Ayati[7], Ismail returned to Mudkhal Al Gharb but found that Sufian was still in his voyage.

c4o8vwp0i4e465.jpg

Image: Moors in Ayati island

Sufian, while trying to traverse the sea to reach Juzr Al Dahab accidentally reached another large island, losing one of his Keil ships in the process. He met the Tahina people who lived in the island of ‘Juzr Al Burkhan’[8]. Sufian met the Kasiq of Tahina, Uano and managed to impress him with the firing of a musket. The moors were held in high regards by the natives who exchanged gold and other local products for textiles and pottery. Though their attempt at converting the chief was moot, the moors were allowed to build an outpost on the eastern side of the island at a place called ‘Al Mahadjin’[9] or ‘the nest’ due to abundance of birds in the area. Sufian would leave a garrison of 30 in the Burkhan island and sailed south. But again his flotilla was diverted by the current and they anchored in the island of Ayati.

The tribe which was in the adjacent area was not the same tribe which greeted Ismail. These people went by the name of Konuko. Granted, the Moors exchanged goods with the Tahina here as well. After 2 weeks, the retinue of Sufian had swollen to accommodate 4 Tahina men and 8 women who embraced islam. These people still had contact with their tribe not too far away from the coastal settlement built by the moors. All seemed normal until an incident happened which changed the attitude of Tahina towards the people from the sea doing strange gestures at one direction multiple times a day.

One woman named Hazera( Her Tahina name has been lost to the annals of history) was a concubine of Sufian. One day during a trade, she met with the chieftain’s sister named Mayana. Whether this part is real or has been conjured by some lurid historian is still up for debate, but Hazera apparently talked about Sufian’s prowess in lovemaking which interested the Aruwak noblewoman. The next night, Mayana snucked away to the Moorish settlement and slept with Sufian. When the chief Kanakan learnt of his sister’s tryst, he sent a messenger ordering her to return. Sufian was enraged at the audacity of an ‘uncivilized brute’ and murdered the messenger. Apparently Mayana had been intended as a suitable candidate for a marriage alliance between the chiefdoms of Konuko and Kakona[10]

my image (16).jpg

Image: Sufian al Jalil with his two Tahina concubines, Hazera and Mayana

This prompted kasiq Kanakan to assault the Moorish costal enclave on 1st Rajab 893 ( 19 June 1488). Despite the horrendous losses suffered by Tahina from the steel and gunpowder weapons of Moors, Sufian realized he didn’t have the manpower to keep fighting against such large number of tribesmen. On two unverified accounts, witnesses told of as many as 20,000 to 50,000 ‘savages’ encircling the enclave. After two days of fighting in which 12 Moors were killed, sufian decided to throw the towel and leave using the cover of dusk with his 109 crews. He reached Mudkhal al Gharb on 7 Rajab 893 (25 June 1488) and told Ismail of the savage tribes of Ayati. After a week, Ismail started with a fleet of 8 Keils and 400 armed men to his previous destination. But after reaching Juzr al Ayati, he found the friendly Higui people in dire straits. It was as if a divine punishment struck them. They had been dying of some strange disease since Ismail’s visit and a rival chiefdom assaulted them. Conveniently, the culprit was the same chiefdom of Konuko. The second voyage of Ismail to Ayati would be very different.

[1] Hottentot

[2] cape of Good hope

[3] Aghulas current

[4]Delagoa bay

[5] OTL Galibi

[6] Island of lizards ( lesser Antilles OTL)

[7] OTL Hispaniola/Dominican republic

[8] OTL Puerto Rico

[9] OTL Elizabeth , in Puerto Rico

[10] Alternate Taino chiefdoms of Hispaniola

( From 'Journey to the sunset lands' by T.S Lewis)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

So here it is folks, my entry after a while, been extremely busy with job. But Inshallah ,I’ll not abandon this TL.

Also please tell me about my image arrangements. Should I place them inside the letter like regular update or is the current one alright?

It appears that golden horde’s neighbourhood is heating up, particularly Ottomans who are in a civil war following Kaiser Mehmed’s death and a crusade knocking on their door. Lithuania is messy as always and Datu is trying to make the new Khan interested in Don Volga canal.

And things are reaching a conclusion in Iberia fast as Portuguese reach hind ocean. More Moorish and Sahelian interaction with the natives of Talentiya. What will Ismail do? Will he be like Columbus or much worse?

Allah hafeez, until next time!

Last edited:
Seems Timur's heirs are doing well, and meanwhile Eastern Europe is about to erupt in flames. The outcome of the coming storm could be decisive.

Seems Timur's heirs are doing well, and meanwhile Eastern Europe is about to erupt in flames. The outcome of the coming storm could be decisive.
Well, if you consider living the life of vassals of their previous vassal, it’s a downgrade. But for Alauddin, his clever ploy of convincing both Tatars and Ming he is their vassal( if you read one previous update about him forging letters of a Ming magistrate and the obvious advantage due to his 'victims' not being able to mutually communicate) is serving him well. But with his uncle Ha Yui killed in a civil war, he has to take a side soon.

Yes, Eastern Europe, particularly Ottomans are in a mess due to civil war. With a larger empire, things will only get more complicated. Let's see if they are able to withstand the oncoming crusader onslaught.

Hi Ursugolos! Great update as always!

First, I like the image arrangement you have here just fine. Second, I'm quite intrigued by the goings on in the New World. When will Europeans show up? Will more indigenous people survive the newcomers than our TL? It would be nice if more indigenous polities would make it to the present day in your TL. Also, Ayati as a name for Puerto Rico keeps throwing me for a loop - I keep thinking it's Haiti you're referring to.

Hi Ursugolos! Great update as always!
Thanks a lot, my most avid reader!
Ayati as a name for Puerto Rico keeps throwing me for a loop - I keep thinking it's Haiti you're referring to.
*facepalms* I knew there was something wrong after I changed a name or two. I'm not a late night riser and posting this took me until 12 am, so mistakes were bound to happen. Thanks a lot again, for pointing it out.

I have done some editing, Sufian's first stoppage is in Puerto Rico which the Maghrebis call Burkhan, the island of Ayati is Hispaniola. I hope that clears up now.
When will Europeans show up?
Apart from sporadic Hanseatic voyages Europeans as of now are not in any position to venture out. Portugal discovered way to India so they are stuffed. Castile, like OTL would be the one to send ships west but for VERY different reasons than trade route. Why do you think Charles would send ships west( hint, It'll be his pet project)?
Will more indigenous people survive the newcomers than our TL? It would be nice if more indigenous polities would make it to the present day in your TL.
Izem, from a previous update is now in Talentiya with the best medical care of the world to treat the natives dying, so you can guess that a different approach and medical advancements in Islamic world may be the push that natives need. But natives will have violent reaction against Muslim & Christians alike( muslims will be more or less pissed off with human sacrifice). As for the latter, can't yet predict the future as I haven't planned much for thr new World portion post 1570.

It looks like Tahini is going to be pretty diverse demographically. But I feel as though the second expedition will hit the native population hard.

It looks like Tahini is going to be pretty diverse demographically. But I feel as though the second expedition will hit the native population hard.
Let's see if Ismail is as lucky or successful as Columbus or Cortes.

Tahina people will give different reactions in regards to this expedition owing to rivalry between various chiefdoms of Ayati.

Deus vult
Persia and nearby regions in the final years of 9th century
As the 9th AH century came to a close, the geopolitical landscapes of Greater Persian region and the nearby regions of Sham and Mwerunnehr went through drastic upheavals. The events were complex and often intertwined with each other that would have great consequences for the next centuries.

As the Ottomans were embroiled in a civil war between the sons of Kaiser Muhammad II, The Mushahsiya expanded to Kafkas region in Jumada Awwal 894 (April 1489). After 3 months of grueling campaign, the Muthaqi under Abdullah Bin Haris were able to conquer much of lowland Azerbaijan and besieged Baku. A Georgian relief army under Emir Ibrahim ‘the infidel’ arrived to dislodge the besiegers. Fierce fighting took place as the cavalry advantage of the Mushashiya was negated by terrain. The battle was a stalemate as the numerically superior shia army were able to rebuff the Georgian assault. Nevertheless the siege became untenable as they suffered heavy casualties.
0_8d2d8_9a159d34_orig-802x1024.jpg

Image: Battle of Baku

Further complicating the situation was a revolt in Tabriz by the heterodox sunni ferqa named Safaviyya. This meant that the precarious supply line from the south was disrupted. The Mushashiya tried to supply the besiegers by Hazar sea but this in turn caused further problems as unfavorable winds pushed the ships into Tatar territory. The ships were captured by Darugachi of Shumkhal who reported back to the Sanjkabeg of Astrakhan about strange foreign vessels from Persia.

The revolt in Tabriz was not just limited to the namesake metropolis but spread across the entire region. Safaviyya were a sufi ferqa of largely sunni inclined group that held several unorthodox views not supported by mainstream ulema. Nevertheless, their influence was being threatened by the extremely proficient dawah of the Mushahshiya. Imam Kasim Hamadani, the incumbent leader of the sufi order came into contact with ruler of Van, the Timurid Jahanbeg. As the Mushahsiya were embroiled in the Kafkas region, Kasim realized the opportunity and ordered his followers to spread dissent and hatred against the Shia cult. Cities of Tabriz, Ardabil, Araz and Urmia rose in rebellion. At the same time Jahanbeg advanced eastwards, capturing all of eastern Anatolia and expelling the pro Mushahiya emir of Mardin. His original goal was to expand until Mosul but the defeat of his suzerain Shehzade Musa in the battle of Maras[1] in Rabiul Sani 895 (February 1490) dealt a blow to his eastern ambitions. Though not the end of the Ottoman civil war, this defeat forced Musa camp to shift their priorities and the Shehzade himself expressed the need to have all hands on deck during the next push into central Anatolia. This meant that the Safaviyya rebels were on their own now as Jahanbeg could advance no further. Without external support, the rebels were gradually being pushed by the Muthaqi. Imam Kasim made a last stand in Ardabil where the twelve forces massacred all the safaviyya adherents and subjected the local Sunni population to atrocities. This would not go unnoticed by the wider sunni world.
IMG_20231117_205410.jpg

Image: Last stand of Safaviyya order

To the west in Sham, the pashas and proxy rulers were engaged in their own war in the backdrop of the main civil war. Particularly active was Dawud pasha of Damascus who supported a faction in the Darazi[2] internecine conflict that predated the Ottoman interregnum. Dawud supported Mulzim Arsalan as the ruler of chouf area instead of the incumbent Buhturid emir Ajjaz. His aim was to increase his holding and become the sole ruler of Sham. Mulzim occupied Sayda[3] and besieged Beirut. A beleaguered Ajjaz called Ali pasha Kastrioti of Masr for help. Though Ali pasha’s allegiance in the ongoing interregnum was unclear, historians point to his actions against the pasha of Damascus as a proof that his sympathy lay with the Musa instead of Mahmud. Ali pasha seized Sidon and Tarabulus [4] which put the Arsalan faction in trouble. They retreated all the way to Halab[5] where Dawud pasha was amassing his army. Though both sides were prepared for a rematch, it never came. On Shawwal 895 (September 1490), Musa launched his much anticipated offensive into Anatolia, thus forcing Mahmud to call his loyalist Pashas to the battlefield in Konya. This campaign was delayed by a Georgian foray near Trabzon. Musa defeated the Georgian army in battle of Rize and sacked Batumi. Emir Ibrahim sustained wounds in this battle that would render him lame. Musa scored an important victory in Konya where a lot of Mahmud loyalists perished, including the aforementioned Dawud. He pressed west and besieged the garrison of Ankara. Due to harsh weather the siege was lifted after a week. On their return, Musa’s army was ambushed by Mahmud who was hurrying to catch up with his rebellious twin brother. The battle of Ankara was indecisive and through iron discipline enforced by Musa, his army was able to retreat mostly intact. Now half of Anatolia belonged to Musa.
IMG_20231121_210253.jpg

Image: Battle of Ankara in a 15th century AH depiction

To the east, Sanjakbeg of Samarqand received a letter from his subordinate Bartuk noyan who was in Ferghana. The content of this letter was quite strange as it described how Chinese envoys left Ferghana and they were now enemies with Alauddin due to his uncle trying to usurp the Chinese throne with a puppet. Bartuk asked for additional troops to protect the interest of Sarai in the light of Ming hostility. But this was not the only request for military aid Datu received. The Shaybanids requested for artillery and surplus gunpowder after failing to dislodge the Mushashiya from Nishapur. To make matters worse, Ahmed attacked Herat and Shaybanids were obligated to help lest the tentative marriage alliance concluded earlier falls in disarray.

Unlike his trickery, the letters that described the dire situation of Alauddin Muhammad were accurate this time. In Jumada Sani 896 (April 1491), Alauddin marched into Mongol steppes to face Balgan Khan, only for the latter to retreat further inland without a pitched battle. As days turned into weeks, the forced march through the desolate terrains caused Alauddin’s supply situation to gradually deteriorate. The foraging parties he sent out fared little better as northern Yuan cavalry would lie in wait to ambush them. After 2 weeks, Alauddin realized that the northern Yuan were fighting a war of attrition with him and decided to head back. Near the small town of Tsaagan Balgas, Alauddin’s retinue of 10,000 was ambushed by Balgan Khan himself. Despite being plagued by supply shortage and desertion, the Moghulistani troops put up a fierce fight as Alauddin used his gunpowder weapons on the two columns of Northern Yuan cavalry. But a third reserve unit would assault the beleaguered Moghulistani from behind and rout them. The battle of Tsaagan Balgas was a defeat and dampened the eastern ambitions of Alauddin. After crossing the Altai, Alauddin heard of Ming troops amassing in Uman[6]. He now understood the gravity of the situation after his uncle’s demise in the short civil war. In his memoirs he lamented his lack of foresight and wished that he had helped his uncle. This brings us to the incident where Alauddin requested Bartuk to write letters to Datu beg. The clever omission of his defeat was another ploy so that Tatars wouldn’t get the wrong idea of replacing him. But this battle wouldn’t be the last time Alauddin and Balgan would meet each other.
ac5cf0c85088b31bf14a75a54b5ebd08--warfare-armour.jpg

Image: Battle of Tsaagan Balgas

To the south, Tibet was in a state of anarchy as numerous city states arose in the mid-9th century following the demise of Phagmadrupa dynasty a decade after the fateful Aqbars invasion. This period is marked by the emergence of Monastery led feudal states. The most powerful of them were Kathok, Riwoche and a state right at the heart of the Phagmadrupa capital, Sera. Lhasa and the remnant of Phagmadrupa territory was ruled by a clique of nobles who went by the moniker ‘the wise dozen’. To the west were the feudal states of Zanskar, Guge, Bamcang and the expansionist Ladakh Kingdom. The vast interior was left to various tribes and the loose Amdo federation. The conflicting interests of various kingdoms threatened to tear the precarious balance maintained after the throne became a musical chair. To add to their woes, sectarian violence was rife and threatened to split the realm. To the east lay the powerful monasteries of Nyingma sect whilst most of Lhasa and central Tibet followed the Gelug sect. There was also an old but less influential sect of Karma Kaguya, though lacking the military and financial clouts of their counterparts they laid low. The Nyingma would have the audience of ‘Khagan’ Balgan as his cousin Uijetu was an adherent. A considerable number of Northern Yuan upper class converted to Buddhism of various sects, though the Khan and his immediate family was still following Tengri. Nevertheless, Tibet was rife with unrest and ripe for picking. Though the question was who would go for it?
IMG_20231123_160150.png

Image: States of Tibet in 896 (1491)

Further south, the land of Hind was on the brink of a tumultuous clash between two powers, the emerging Khurasan Khanate led by a Georgian Mamluke Suleiman and the old and time tested paramount power of North India, the Delhi sultanate. Though humbled by Rajputs and plagued by infighting in recent years, they still had an impressive military might. Hearing about the invasion force led by Mustafa; the de facto sultan of Khurasan, the experienced Delhi vizier Khijir Ahsan ordered a mobilization. A massive army of 80,000 was gathered and they started north. Meanwhile Mustafa was on tight schedule as his father, Muhkam Suleiman sent frantic messages to him to head west as he joined with Shaybanids in fending off against the Mushahshiya. He had only 10,000 troops with him along with a dozen artillery and several dozen muskets. To confuse his enemy, he took an unorthodox path as he tried to traverse the Jamuna river and approach Delhi from east. But his decoy didn’t work though it caused the Delhi army to be split into two to cover more ground as they perceived it as a raiding party. Realizing he had to face the enemy sooner than later, Mustafa encamped near Meerut. The garrison fell just in a day as cannons made short work of the fortress walls. But to keep up his ruse, Suleiman ordered that Delhi flag be kept hoisted upon the citadel. The vanguard of Delhi army led by Rajput Dilir singh crossed Ganga but was harassed by horse archers. Though he secured the east bank of Ganga for the main army, his own encampment was attacked at night by Jalaluddin Shiku, the Yusufzai mercenary. Busy with cutting their losses, the vanguard had no time to stop the main Khurasani army crossing into the west bank. They were also surprised at the inaction of the garrison of Meerut. This rendered the initial river crossing by Dilir moot. In the following morning of 8 Shawwal 896, (14 August, 1491) both armies met each other in the open plains near Meerut.
IMG_20230307_151258.jpg

Image: Battle of Meerut

The battle began with a cavalry foray from the Khurasani side. Mustafa divided his cavalry into three parts, one at the front and two at the back in flanks, the latter being the elite Gurgtug. Behind the advance guard he erected a makeshift wagon fortress where he housed his musketeers and artillery at the sides. The Delhi army responded with a volley of arrows and a cavalry charge of their own. As the Delhi cavalry neared the wagon fortress, Khurasani gunners opened fire which killed scores of horsemen. The sound of tufaang also sowed panic into the Delhi horses and they went in to a fit, some throwing their riders off. Understanding the situation, Khijir ordered his 700 war elephants to proceed as infantry advanced close behind. When the elephants were within range, loud booms and explosions rocked the front and center of the army, killing some elephants and scaring the rest of them. The fleeing elephants broke the cohesion of the entire army as the Delhi infantry were scattered and stomped upon by their own elephants. At this moment, Mustafa ordered his two cavalry wings to spring forth and trap the Disorganized Delhi infantry. He ordered his gunners to advance in two files so that one group can reload as the other fired. Sultan Mansur fell from his fleeing elephant as it was spooked by tufaang shots of the approaching Khurasani infantry, as a result seriously injuring himself . At the center, the Gurgtug and Yusufzai mercenaries surrounded a beleaguered Dilir Singh as he kept on fighting. But the battle was over. He soon succumbed to a stray shot. Mustafa led his 12,000 strong force to victory against a foe six times the size. Gunpowder won the day for him.

When Mustafa heard that the Delhi Sultan Mansur was captured, he quickly ordered his troops to bring him in. When meeting the injured sultan, Mustafa is reported to have asked him, ‘why does your sister smoke so much?’. This indicated that he was displeased with the Delhi princess’s demeanor and marriage was now out of question. He received Mansur well and arranged for his treatment but the injured Sultan died after 3 days from internal bleeding inside his head. After this, Mustafa decided to head back to Khurasan. He left Arghun at the head of a 2000 strong Gurgtug retinue as well as a few hundred Pashtun warriors from Jalaluddin Shiku. Shiku himself would accompany Mustafa on his journey to west. And Finally, Rowshan Ara entered Delhi in triumph as the second female monarch to sit on the Delhi throne. Though now she was, understandably a puppet of the Khurasani Khanate. In reality Delhi traded one master for another. But troubles for Mustafa in Hind would be far from over as the Rajput confederacy didn’t take too kindly at his swift conquest of their vassal. The winds of war would soon blow on the horizon again.
MariamSaeedUllahKhan-Z-2-34-x-56.jpg

Image: Rowshan Ara entering Delhi

[1] Maras was changed into Kahramanmaras in OTL 20th century.

[2] Druze

[3] Sidon

[4] Tripoli

[5] Aleppo

[6] OTL Yumen

(From ‘Tarikh Ul Fars Wal Mashreq’ by Ali Adnani)

******************************************************************************************************************************************

Conflicts come before the crusade

As news of devastating Ottoman civil war reached Europe, many were ecstatic. But many were cautious, some were apprehensive while others were terrified. Ironically Venice fell in the latter camp. Ever since the election of Doge Antonio Mocegino in 892 AH (1487), he followed a policy of increasing trade with Ottomans which had been strengthened by Muhammad II allowing Venetians to set up shops in Levant. The Ottoman acquisitions of Masr and Sham and the subsequent tax overhauls were a boon to the serene republic. In return, Venice worked to keep the eastern Mediterranean peaceful. The Failed Ottoman invasion of Rhodes presented the Doge with such an opportunity. After having the Hospitaller knights in a chokehold from debt, he reduced them essentially to a glorified mercenary force working for the republic. Though this didn’t totally stop the anti-muslim corsair activities by the order, it was significantly reduced and in turn reducing the Barbary raids in eastern Mediterranean.
902151.jpg

Image: Doge Antonio Mocegino

When Pope Innocent VIII called for a crusade in 2 Rabiul Sani 895 ( 23 February 1490), various big and small kingdoms answered his call to arms. Amongst them were France, Yorkist England, Burgundy, Hungary, Austria, Polish- Lithuanian Union, Denmark and surprisingly, the newly formed Lancastrian kingdom of ‘Ireland’. Situation in Iberia was different as Aragon used the pretext to declare war on Nasrid emirate and asked Castile to allow their troops pass. Fresh from a victory against Portugal and a successful dynastic union, Charles mocked the Aragonese envoy and wrote a humiliating reply to the King Juan I. Now Aragon declared war upon the Castilians but they were not alone. Andre Sebastian, the estranged duke of Coimbra contacted the Aragonese court and made promises of revolting against them if the latter attacked. Thus war was on the horizon of Iberia once again.

The situation in Italy was even more complex. The pro French and pro Papal states were bickering over the leftover spoils after the Ottoman annexation of southern Italy. Though the first ones to respond to the call at arms were Milan and Genoa, both being French allies/vassals. Florence replied somewhat late, followed by Trent, Siena, Modena-Ferrera and Abruzzo. Meanwhile Pope was having a hard time trying to convince Burgundy and France come to terms with one another. France was skeptical of Burgundian military deployment in Italy and thought of it as a threat. Further Charles VIII was itching to lead an army as he was now 20. But he was snubbed by pope in favour of Holy Roman Emperor William, a neutral man who’d be accepted by most. The reason behind William’s selection was the support of the French Duke of Milan Louis, who wanted get back at his nephew’s regent Peter II of Bourbon. Nevertheless, Pope agreed to crown Charles VIII as the ‘King of Italy’, a title not extending beyond symbolic papal recognition. and asked all states in Italy to submit to him, at least nominally. Only Siena and Florence replied positively, the rest not even bothering with it. Nevertheless, the prospect of dominating at least north of Italy and being declared the dubious ‘King of Italy’ by pope at Rome Charles VIII agreed to be led by William. A further sigh of relief for the participants was the absence of the ‘Empress’ Isabella due to her being ill after her 6th pregnancy.
mv-renju-king-edited.jpg

Image: Holy Roman Emperor William I, king consort of Burgundy (nicknamed Willy the henpecked)

When pope was trying to coax France and burgundy, other states were halfway through their preparations. Even after gathering in Bavaria, the combined forces of Yorkist England, Denmark, Lancastrian Ireland, and a small contingent of mercenaries paid by the Hanseatic League, the number still didn’t exceed 4000. Castile and Portugal sent a token force of 200 cavalry knights, mostly of the Eleanor camp due to their dubious allegiance to the new union. Though this draft was mandatory, England, Ireland and Denmark allowed only volunteers to go. The army of barely 5000 traversed through central Europe and reached Austria where they were joined by duke and Duchess of Styria Phillip and Barbara, with their four hundred strong retinue. The Habsburg indifference to the cause of crusade despite their realm being closer to the Ottomans was due to their claims on low counties being rendered moot by Isabella’s victory in the war of Burgundian succession. On Dhul Qadh 895 (October 1490), the Crusading army entered Buda and was Greeted by Louis II of Hungary. He had 20,000 troops at his disposal and decided to split the crusading force into two. Accordingly they made a war council formulate a plan for further action.But before agreeing upon a concrete plan, shocking news reached the crusader camp about the papal excommunication of Venice due their non-compliance for the crusading effort. In the words of historian Stephan Mihail, ‘the Serene republic’s decision to choose the familiar devil over the unfamiliar angel came as a shock to the rest of Europe.’ Truthfully, there had been intense and long negotiations in the senate and finally the pro-peace party won out with the Doge choosing to preserve the existing prosperity over the allure of territorial expansion if the Ottomans failed to stop the Nazarenes.

Anyway the crusaders were divided into two groups. One group was jointly led by Prince of Denmark Charles and the voivode of Transylvania Nicolas Tamasi which encamped in Zagreb county while the larger retinue led by king Louis himself encamped in Szerem county.
s1200.gif

Image: crusaders merrymaking with locals in a Slavonian village

After spending the winter and stocking up supplies for the 30,000 strong force, it was in Rajab 896 (May 1491) when the crusaders from the larger group started crossing Danube. Theoretically they were now inside ottoman territory but the revolt of the pasha of Rumelia, Hersekzade Suleiman against Sultan Mahmud meant few troops were sent to garrison the northern frontiers. the crusaders received little to no resistance from Ottoman regular army, instead foraging parties were being assaulted by bandits. It was only when the crusaders besieged Jajce starting from Shaban 896 (June 1491) when the Ottomans realized something was wrong. But the civil war was still ongoing and the garrison of Jajce held out for a month until being overrun. But soon sights of Ottoman activities were being noticed by the crusaders. From the gypsy travelers, the crusaders found out that there was a new sultan in Konstantinyye, his name was Musa.

(from ‘The age of Chivalry’ by Thomas Siegfried)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
and so it begins! the final crusade to push the Ottomans out of Europe! Will it be successful or will it suffer the same fate as the Nicopolis one and the irate Burgundian campaign? Right now Sultan Musa has a lot on his plate. And nobody expects the Venetian betrayal, even more the excommunication! This part was inspired from an aborted timeline by @Guardonion.

And poor sunni Safavids trying to stop the Mushashiya. As Sham and Masr are relatively newly acquired territories one would expect them to be loosely ruled and in times of lax in central authority regional lords ran riot. Alauddin realised his mistake in underestimating the Northern Yuan power and he has begrudgingly taken to the Sarai camp. But his schemes are far from over.

Also in the alt battle of Panipath where Mustafa mops the floor with Delhi army. But ITTL Rajputs are a more potent threat. And if he doesn't marry Rowshan, how will he grab Hindustan? Give me your ideas!

If anyone is willing to correct me in the Tibet map I'll be very happy as the info I based it upon was sketchy to say the least.

Salam, see you next time guys!

Last edited:
Honestly need a world map for this and I suggest using purely European denotations in your text with the Islamic/arabic words in parentheses since it creates a bit of confusion

Honestly need a world map for this and I suggest using purely European denotations in your text with the Islamic/arabic words in parentheses since it creates a bit of confusion
A World map of 1510 is in the making. Guess I'll use parentheses now, though another told me it was distracting.

I have no beef with the map of Tibet, except that they formally united into a confederation(?) with one common leader in the 13th century, albeit a hell of a decentralised one.

I have no beef with the map of Tibet, except that they formally united into a confederation(?) with one common leader in the 13th century, albeit a hell of a decentralised one.
Yes, this mirrors the decentralised period just before Mongol invasion. But the monarch in Lhasa is even more spineless and independent monastery run states in the east Don't give a damn on what uppity nobles in Lhasa demand of them.

Last edited: